Whoopie Sling
    Images

51 weeks ago...

Here's the text of a post from 8/7/14:

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    … and then there were 12.

3 months out from the hang,

12 sites left,

5 "no" or "not yet" on the "I've reserved my site" column.

80 is the approximate count on the spread sheet

20 more signed up than this same time last year

15 the number of folks I know of from past years that usually come and just haven't joined in the fray yet.
    So how do we compare this year? Pretty close!

… yes, we are again down to 12 sites left in the main area.

3 months out from the hang,

12 sites left,

8 not yet list as Pd or Set (to share with someone with a pd site)

74 is the approximate count on the spread sheet

6 fewer signed up than this same time last year

30 the number of folks indicating "maybe" on Facebook along with some I know of from past years that usually come and just haven't joined in the fray yet.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Anyone here use alcohol stoves?

My reason for asking is that I have found that Methanol M1 at your local race shop is a cleaner version of HEET Gas Line Antifreeze, and can be had for $40-dollars in a metal lined container from VP Racing Fuels headquartered here in San Antonio (Elmendorf).

So, if there is an interest, then I need 7 others for a group buy, and I will bring the unopened 5-Gallon VP Racing Fuel Methanol M1 to the Fairfield hang, and you will receive 80-oz's for the low, low sum of $5-dollars

Home Depot sells HEET (Yellow) for about $1.77 for 12 fluid ounces, so VP Racing Fuel would be 1/2 the cost.

The main advantage is that pure methanol (M1 is 99.85% pure methanol minimum) and burns so much cleaner. No leftover residue. This is the best way to get your liquid stove lit, whether you use Coleman Fuel or Kerosene, or even E85 Ethanol Gasoline, you need to prime the vaporizer tubes, and Methanol is absolutely the best way to do that without any soot buildup on you liquid fuel stove.

In alcohol stoves it burns clean and hotter than HEET (Yellow).

Just throwing it out there, if there is any interest please PM me.
    I am now closing out this offer as I have received Private Messages and commitments for the the 5-Gallon Can.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Reserving your site:
    Just a heads-up not pointing this at any one person directly; but I know how we are (see how I included myself there?).
    I am in the Air Conditioning business, when it's 105° outside I am VERY busy. So busy in fact that I do not answer PMs, emails, or IMs during the day and, sometimes, during the whole week.

I will, however, get to all the PMs etc during the weekend. I know everyone is anxious to get your spots reserved and questions answered; but you may hafta wait a few days until I can breath to get the answer. I will take the PM in the order I received them and apply them to the site reservations with a slight bias toward getting everyone where they need to be capacity wise.

Reserving a site gives you two things:
    1) You have a place to park your vehicle. If you are at a site where there are too many vehicles (and you are not the person who paid for the site) you will hafta park at the group lot. Only two vehicles per site are allowed.
    2) You are King of your site, actually you are more like a Duke: I am King. Others may be assigned to your site by me but, since you paid, you will have the authority in the site layout and vehicle parking.

To that end:
    If you see someone on the list whom you want to share a site with please feel free to contact them directly and make those arrangements. I ask that you let me know once it is settled so I can mark that site as full (or whatever); I would hate to assign five people to your site when you already have those five slots full. I don't need to be copied on each and every PM, I just need to know the outcome of any arrangement that will add people to your site OUTSIDE of what you told me when you requested the site.

Make sense? Okay...

None of this has been a problem in the past and I don't expect it to be a problem this year; but we have never done this type of reservation and this hang is getting bigger every year. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

IF you have questions please feel free to PM one of us (UncleMJM, OldGringo or me) before you make any assumptions about how this goes down; of course, you can always post them in this thread as well.

The updated list and site map will be up momentarily.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is the current site map and reservation list. Please look it over and let me know of any corrections that need to be made.

Fairfield 2015 Map Occupied.JPG
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    We have learned something in each of the previous 6 years that we've done this and believe that although the reservation system is different this year, and may seem a bit complicated, the work done in advance will significantly simplify our set up when we get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Reserving your site:

Reserving a site gives you two things:
    1) You have a place to park your vehicle. If you are at a site where there are too many vehicles (and you are not the person who paid for the site) you will hafta park at the group lot. Only two vehicles per site are allowed.
    2) You are King of your site, actually you are more like a Duke: I am King. Others may be assigned to your site by me but, since you paid, you will have the authority in the site layout and vehicle parking.
    Well put Your Highness, , exactly as we've previously discussed.

If you see someone on the list whom you want to share a site with please feel free to contact them directly and make those arrangements. I ask that you let me know once it is settled so I can mark that site as full (or whatever)...
    Please double check your information on the planning spreadsheet as well. If you are sharing with someone, after you have made sure Rat has that info, please make note of who you are sharing with in column "E", the one about sharing, as well.

None of this has been a problem in the past and I don't expect it to be a problem this year; but we have never done this type of reservation and this hang is getting bigger every year. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

IF you have questions please feel free to PM one of us (UncleMJM, OldGringo or me) before you make any assumptions about how this goes down; of course, you can always post them in this thread as well.
    Thanks again for taking on this logistics project Rat!

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm looking for a volunteer to coordinate the Saturday night Pot Luck dinner.

Someone to do stuff like make sure we have tables set up, trash bags available, folks reminded to have their food ready by a set time...

If you have been to this event before and are willing to lend a hand, please PM me and we'll talk more about it.

Muchos gracias in advance!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I'm looking for a volunteer to coordinate the Saturday night Pot Luck dinner.

Someone to do stuff like make sure we have tables set up, trash bags available, folks reminded to have their food ready by a set time...

If you have been to this event before and are willing to lend a hand, please PM me and we'll talk more about it.

Muchos gracias in advance!
    I'm pleased to announce that we've had someone step up to the plate to coordinate the event where we will all fill our plates! A veteran from the inaugural hang in 2009 as well as numerous hangs since will be the man with a plan.

Be on the lookout for "Mr Main Meal Main Man Gage" as he reminds us of important stuff we'll need to remember, like tables, trash bags, good food and meal time.

Also, please be sure to thank him for volunteering when you see him too!

In the meantime, let's start talking about food, I'm hungry.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 08-21-2015 at 23:24.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This makes me smile. Thanks, Gage!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

The right man for the job. Thanks Gage!

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I am all in....ready to get into the wild again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast