WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I am in need of back surgery (putting if off as long as i can) as I have 2 ruptured discs in my lower back. I was worried about my back pain an hammocks before I started hanging but I have found that it feels pretty good on my back. My Eno DN is NOT good for my back. It is too stretchy and really doesnt provide much support.

I suggest going to better fabric. Something more supportive and less stretchy like polyester or a sturdier nylon. Also, the 11' hammocks will suit you better I am guessing. I have not tried a bridge hammock but my XLC is great for my back. The Eno, not so much.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

I too feel your pain. I have had multiple surgeries on my lower back spread out across the last 10 years. As said in prior posts 4 weeks is not a lot of time your still healing and adjusting.

Have you done any physical therapy? Did you hang comfortably in the past? Prior to my surgery I liked a looser hang and now I really prefer a slightly tighter hang. I had a good three months before I could get in a hammock the first two weeks I was in bed. Good on you for trying but I would highly recommend going slow into it again. Core stability and stretching should help.

I truly hope your recovery goes well.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I had L5 surgery 43 years ago so my info might not be any help for the short term but I can tell you that time will be your friend. Keep walking and don't abuse your back. I have done anything and everything I wanted to but it took several months to get there. You must walk often the rest of your life to keep a strong back to protect the spine. Well everyone should do that. Good luck and happy hunting and hanging.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rotornoob View Post
    I absolutely know why there's discomfort. Like I said I was testing the waters. I was simply curious if this surgery has caused folks to go to the ground. And if not, what sort of hammocks work best for those with back pain.
    So, you should really slow down... and I say this from having been there, done that. Any minor tearing of that soft disk material will cause long term issues. That being said, I wish you all the best in your hunting trip.

For me a 11-foot polyester (2.6 Oz per square yard) has a nice taut feel and less stretch. The 7.5-foot width allows for multi-position sleeping, and several flat lays are available with elevated shoulders or completely flat in 45-Degree to 60-Degree and even some 90-Degree lays.

My advice would be to wait 4-6 months before hammock-ing or hunting, let the body heal. No fun having to go back in under the blade again. I got 4 zippers in me, so I wish someone had pulled in my reins.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 07-27-2015 at 18:18.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, UGQ TQ
    I have had 3 back surgeries over the past 10 years. 2 fusions (l4-l5 and l5-s1). Last one was 3 years ago. I had to switch to a hammock because I cannot sleep on a camping mattress any longer. I find that the flat lay is crucial for me and my WBBB XLC fits the bill. I find that a small pillow between my legs helps greatly as I am a side sleeper. Good luck with the recovery.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for all the info! I'll most likely just wait until spring to get back in the hammock. I've been wanting a new one, looks like there's a "need" now! I've been wanting to give that blackbird or the bridge hammock a go. Time to keep an eye on the classifieds!

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've had 33, yes 33 ortho related surgeries in the last 15 years a couple on the neck and low back I also have a spinal stimulator. I try to sleep in my hammock at least 5 nights a week as it is out side In my sugar shack(that's what my wife calls it), I find that my hammock is the only place that I can get restorative sleep or what the doctors call deep sleep. I wish you all the best in your recovery
    Jeff Hoffman
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've had 33, yes 33 ortho related surgeries in the last 15 years a couple on the neck and low back I also have a spinal stimulator. I try to sleep in my hammock at least 5 nights a week as it is out side In my sugar shack(that's what my wife calls it), I find that my hammock is the only place that I can get restorative sleep or what the doctors call deep sleep. I wish you all the best in your recovery
    Jeff Hoffman
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12