Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Ropes ATM

Hennessy Hex Tarp

Once again a newbie question.

Do most of you Hennessy Hangars use the included Asym Tarp or the Hex tarp.

I had a gift certificate and upgraded to the Hex Fly.

I am thinking about using this all the time instead of the Asym. Thoughts? I assume you rig the tarp separate than leaving it on the hammock with a tarp as large as the Hex Fly correct?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Hex has a lot more coverage than the postage stamp stock tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think that the biggest difference is about weight - if you're using the Ultralight Backpacker, you might be concerned about weight. If that's so, then certainly you would want to use the diamond fly when you want the lighter weight. For instance, the silnylon diamond lists at 9.4 ounces and the silnylon lists at 18.6 ounces. The polyester one caps out at a heavy 23 ounces!

So here's the thing - your tradeoff isn't as much coverage (I've handled multiple thunderstorms with the diamond tarp), but rather other things:
    1. Comfort. You're going to have a lot more space under that bigger rainfly for cooking, hanging out, etc...
    2. Ground splatter. Oddly enough, most of the moisture issues I've had were with bare ground splattering rain on the bottom of the hammock, not on the top. So this is going to be an issue if you're using an underquilt, for instance, because you don't have a barrier between the ground and your under-insulation. If you're using a pad or Super Shelter, this isn't a problem either as you're protected.

I use the Super Shelter and set up my Poncho Tarp for a kitchen tarp if I need it, so I still use the diamond fly and am actually pretty happy with it.

Hennessy Explorer was my first tarp. I upgraded to the Hex. Never regretted it. Yes, it is a little heavier than the asm tarp, but it provides a lot of forgiveness for a new person learning the best way to pitch the tarp. I was in several downpours and never was wet. I have since passed it on to my 13 year old son. It's provides a very nice porch mode option. Just ordered him a set of Grizz Beaks from 2QZQ. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Hex again.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Ropes ATM
    So for those that only use the Hex Fly, do you leave it attached to the hammock, or do you use it detached?

I keep it separate. I use ridgeline cords on each end. I like this as it allows me to setup the tarp first if it is raining. Also, I didn't want to try and pack the hammock and the tarp together if the tarp was wet.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Attached to the hammock is a giant pain in the butt. I used a continuous ridgeline and hung the tarp separate when I had a Hennessy.

Dejoha suggest using shock cord to minimize sag. However, I prefer just hanging the tarp separate.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=hennessy
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGobbler View Post
    So for those that only use the Hex Fly, do you leave it attached to the hammock, or do you use it detached?
    I prefer almost always to use the stock asym fly with my Hennessy Deep Jungle XL. The important point in successfully deploying the asym is to align the fly's head/foot end tie-outs with the hammock's head/foot end side pull-outs. When properly deployed, it will completely protect you in 99.99% of even the most severe woodsy/jungly weather conditions. But, this is not what you want to know. - The preceding not withstanding, I do have an abiding and soulful affection for the wonderful Hennessy hex fly. I do deploy it, with the provided prussiks, attached directly to my suspension. No messing around. Through each triangular ridgeline "ring" I have a 6" continuous double-loop of bungee. I clip the provided prussik-mounted hooks to the bungee double-loops. This keeps a constant tension on the ridge and self-adjusts with wind-loads, hammock-loads/unloads, water and stretch. Additionally (and unpopularly), I use 4Ft. double-lengths of bungee at all 4 corner tie-outs. NOT 4inch tarp tensioners. No, indeed. 4Ft double-lengths of bungee. Every corner. This, for the reasons above stated. All that bungee makes this big "top sail" of a fly self-correcting in all conditions, eliminates sag, eliminates tears, eliminates flapping, keeps your hang snappy and sharp, and makes your hang a welcoming place to come home to, when you're in no mood to do fussy-fussy busy-fingers fiddly work. Your gear should work for you, you should not work for your gear. That's what the irondog does, and that's that. If you balk at the weight "penalty" of bungee, this will not be for you. But, if you want to deploy the Hennessy (Big Bertha) hex, you might want to give it a try and test it in heavy wind & wet conditions to see what it can do for you.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I use the hex fly in a set of snake skins with Dutch stingers and zing it on each end. It's extremely simple to set up and the snakeskin a keep it out of the way until you need it.

• + New Posts