DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Insulation types

Just ran across a great article describing the various synthetic insulation products, their properties and applications. Check out the link below if your interested.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-0...gy-for-hunting
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

A very interesting read- thanks for posting this. I have made a UQ for the wife out of two layers of poly-blanket. She loves it but it is to warm for me. Recently made a 2.5 Climashield UQ using Argon 90 (thanks dutch) for the inner shell and 1.9 ACU FG from RSBTR for the outer shell. I will have to wait till fall to see how low it will go. HLFL

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice to see another perspective on any question. This seems related primarily to garments. It started me searching for things about Primaloft again, and I found a discussion on BPL from last Fall. I may try some tests to see what quilting is actually needed with Primaloft Gold used for quilts or insulated hammocks.

When they speak of the insulation loosing thermal qualities overtime- degrading, is this from the fiber becoming 'work hardened' and then breaking or is it that the fiber material actually becomes dust like - as it degrades. This apparently can start to happen within 3-5 yrs. of production. Am not sure whether the decay is caused by sun exposure, friction/ work hardening, or the elements at large but does this mean that syn. insul. has a 1/2 life to it? just makes me wonder how long it will last AND still be effective for its rating. On another thread someone mentioned that a properly cared for down quilt could last for decades. If that is true then the higher cost of down is even more justified as it will last longer. right?
    Last edited by ylnfrt; 07-29-2015 at 21:46.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Insulation types

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    When they speak of the insulation loosing thermal qualities overtime- degrading, is this from the fiber becoming 'work hardened' and then breaking or is it that the fiber material actually becomes dust like - as it degrades. This apparently can start to happen within 3-5 yrs. of production. Am not sure whether the decay is caused by sun exposure, friction/ work hardening, or the elements at large but does this mean that syn. insul. has a 1/2 life to it? just makes me wonder how long it will last AND still be effective for its rating. On another thread someone mentioned that a properly cared for down quilt could last for decades. If that is true then the higher cost of down is even more justified as it will last longer. right?
    If your looking at Primaloft, the article states...

"During the course of normal use, such as stuffing the jacket into your pack or sitting with your back against a rock, these fibers break down and the ability of Primaloft to trap air degrades. I don't have an intimate understanding of the mechanics, and companies are unsurprisingly silent on how quickly this happens, but my anecdotal experience agrees with a few of the numbers I've seen thrown around: Primaloft can loose 30-40 percent of its insulating value in six months of frequent use"

Climashield seems to address this and is more durable..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    The strange thing to me is that I cannot find many jackets that claim to be made with Climashield, unless the manufacturer has the ability to brand it as one of their own insulation technologies and I just can't connect the dots. Is anyone else locating climashield insulated jackets?
    Bill

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    The strange thing to me is that I cannot find many jackets that claim to be made with Climashield, unless the manufacturer has the ability to brand it as one of their own insulation technologies and I just can't connect the dots. Is anyone else locating climashield insulated jackets?
    I read somewhere recently that primaloft is more favorable for clothing than Climashield apex. Climashield is good for large panels like quilts but is too stiff for smaller and more rounded areas like jackets, etc. Obviously not giving you a technical answer but I hope it helps.

• + New Posts