DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Whoopee Slings vs. Treehuggers with buckles

I'm considering upgrading my Treehugger straps with multiple loops sewn in + carabiner setup (Treehugger is the brand, but 10+ years old... it's basically identical to current ENO strap setup.) You feed the end through the loop on the other end, tighten around the tree, then select the best clipping loop along the strap.

So, which do you prefer and why: tree straps (probably 7' in my case) + Dutch clips + whoopee slings, or longer tree straps alone plus something like a Dutch titanium cinch buckle?

I was thinking of going with whoopee slings for their continuous adjustability. Currently I have to sometimes fiddle with the tree strap height after determining which loop to put the carabiner in. But -- 6' standard length for whoopee slings sounds like a lot, and I don't want to have a bunch of unnecessary line dangling about.

So the Dutch cinch buckles are appealing. But on the other hand -- carrying 15' of strap is going to be heavier and bulkier than Amsteel whoopee slings.

Part of my pondering is: if the trees I use are fairly close and not all that big in diameter, and I have a good bit of excess strap, will I then be limited by the length of the excess strap + length of whoopee slings being possibly too long? As is, I can pick a loop very close to the tree to clip the hammock to if needed.

Another part of my pondering: with whoopee slings, do you have to set the straps on the trees higher? Currently I don't have to reach up all that far, don't want to get into needing a ladder.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have had to hang in spots where there literally wouldn't have been a pair of trees far enough apart to work with whoopie slings. They are great for the weight savings, but not adjustable enough for me.

I am also very concerned about weight. I ended up picking up 15' Kevlar tree straps from Dutch, and a pair of strap anchors from Butt in a Sling. The anchors have all the adjustability of cinch buckles, but weigh less, work with Kevlar straps, and stay on the strap rather than on the hammock, so you don't have to feed 15' of strap through them every time you set up. Total suspension weight comes in just under 5 oz.

The height of your straps is determined by the distance between the trees, your desired hang angle, and the desired height of your hammock off the ground, not by the type of suspension.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Hm, yeah, I guess if the combined suspension is too long, putting the straps up higher would get the hammock off the ground but it would also make the angle too steep...

I'm concerned about weight/bulk as well. Thus the Amsteel whoopee slings were appealing, but not if it makes things much less convenient. It did occur to me that having to feed all that strap through the buckle every time could get annoying, so thanks for confirmation.

That setup looks really nice -- Kevlar straps plus BIAS strap anchors. Though I guess I can't order today and expect them by Monday...

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I used to use short tree huggers with very long(8-10") whoopie slings. I have switched, I now use 8-10" tree straps and 4' Whoopie slings. When the trees are of modest size or a reasonable distance apart, I use only the straps and leave the whoopie slings in my pack. I add the whoopie slings when the trees tell me I need them.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Though I guess I can't order today and expect them by Monday...
    Actually, I ordered my strap anchors on a Saturday and got them that Monday.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I don't have a lot of experience, but I just got some multibuckesfrom Dream-Hammocks, and they work great with my setup.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...tegory=4019214
    I wanted simple, so I have the webbing directly to my gathered ends, and with the either of these you don't have to feed it all through everytime.
    I was also looking at Adutchable Clips from Dutch
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/adutchable-clips-pair.html

added bulk with more webbing possibly. My straps are light and the buckles are almost nothing.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I personally use the whoopie hook suspension (ala Dutch, though my set up is DIY). Straps are ~6', whoopies are about 6'. I have my suspension set up like Dutch shows on his site, tree strap soft shackled to tree with whoopie sling attached, whoopie hook hooked on to the continuous loop on my hammock. I can span ~25ft+ depending on tree size. I can also hang down to ~9ft.

I got the idea for how to do a short hang from the ultimate hang. See this post.

Basically, if it is a really short hang, I don't use the whoopie slings at all. I just tie a becket hitch, or a marlin spike hitch with a stick toggle, through the continuous loop. That way, my minimum hang distance is just a few inches longer than my ridgeline.

Alternatively, when I have my hammock set up for day use, I attach dynaglide whoopies directly to the hammock. I wrap the whoopie through the channel several times so that the "dead length" of whoopie sling caused by the fixed eye is completely gone, leaving just the adjustable bury. This means that my minimum hang distance there is my RL length plus just over a foot (6" per side, plus a marlin spike on the tree strap). DG whoopies and kevlar tree straps set up like this would likely be one of the lightest, smallest packing, set ups you could get.

Honestly though, if I was constantly making really short hangs, I would just go with a strap system. I don't like too much of a fiddle factor in my set up.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Was wondering if Dutch had something that would work with straps in a similar manner to the strap anchors... but would the Adutchable Clips work with Kevlar?

Kinda off topic a bit but strap suspension is must where i am even the long HH tree straps are not long enough for the trees here. No such limit with the strap suspension

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Yeah, MattK, I'm thinking that whoopies + straps is a bit too complex for the frequent short hangs I end up doing. It would be nice to keep things as simple as they are, but lighter.

WaffleBox, do the Kevlar straps allow you to feed one end through the loop in the other and just attach to the tree that way, as the TreeHugger straps do? Or do you also need a Dutch Clip or carabiner or other attachment to secure the strap around the tree?

Looking further at the Adutchable Clip, it may not work in the same way as the Butt in a Sling Strap Anchor... it seems like the hook end would want to twist from hanging a hammock continuous loop directly on it. Maybe not as secure as the "T" end of the Strap Anchor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast