Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark vs. Warbonnet

In a pickle here...I'm a winter camper primarily and am venturing into hammock
    camping.

I'm wanting to compare the Clark Jungle hammocks to the War Bonnett (and
    possilby the Hennessy hammocks), but am leaning toward one of the first two.

I don't want to be rude here, but I'm looking for an objective opinion ONLY from those that have utilized BOTH brands. If you have only tried one OR the other please refrain from comment. (not trying to be crass here, just need to keep the comments very focused)

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Shane

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Warbonnet is a very popular hammock here. I think the Clark would also be very popular but I believe the price scares people away from that brand, I know that true for me. I would probably get the Clark if I was doing a lot of winter/snow camping. I think the Weather shield would prove valuable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I use both.
    What specific questions do you have?

Clark vs. Warbonnet

I'm not sure I'm far enough along to ask great questions, but I'll make an observation and let's assume for a moment that money is not in the picture.

The WB doesn't appear to be as sophisticated...or maybe someone would call it advanced, BUT the gentleman producing the hammock seems to be held in very high regard...sooo there's probably some marketing plots that have worked on me for the time being.

That being said, I presume that the WB is just as WXproof as the N150, but one can't exactly determine that from the video on the website.

I also am a side-sleeper and the WB looks to be a bit more confining/conforming than the N150...which one is the better option here?

As stated earlier, I'm primarily a winter camper so ease of providing heat loss protection is of primary concern.

What is the reasoning behind choosing to own both of them (..could be just because, but curious)?

Thanks,

Shane

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    My very first hammock was a Clark NA. I liked it, but didn't love it. I'm only 5'9" and 150lbs soaking wet and I felt a bit confined in it. Lots of shoulder squeeze. Have zero knowledge of the new NX systems. The fiberglass poles might help to solve the shoulder issue. Not sure.

The Clark NA was warm, even without any sort of insulation under me. I didn't have it long enough to put it through a season and hadn't, at that point, been interested in underquilts...so hard for me to say exactly how it would fair in colder temps.

I liked the built-in no-see-um netting and weather shied, but if I didn't hang it just right...I had a hell of a time getting everything zipped up tight. That really annoyed me. Again, could have been to lack of experience since it was my first hammock and didn't know the science behind getting a proper hang angle.

Knowing what I know now, the rope suspension would be the first thing to go if I got another Clark. Poly webbing and cinch buckles is where it's at, for me.

As far as being WXproof, well, I think that's a bit subjective. Everyone will be able to tolerate things a little differently. I wouldn't use either a Clark or a Blackbird in a downpour without my trusty tarp.

I am a current Blackbird owner. I have the 1.7 double. I've since removed the tri-rings and replaced them with cinch buckles. It's the only modification I've made. It is THE most comfortable hammock I've had...and I've had (have) quite a few different hammocks the past couple of years.

For warmth, I use a Speer SnugFit underquilt and it keeps me warm as a bug in a rug. To keep me warm on top, I use a Kick *** Quilt Potomac. I know...I know...it's an underquilt...but it works as a topquilt, too!

Side sleeping? No problem in the Blackbird. Very roomy!

The footbox is an ingenious idea. Did I mention that the Blackbird was roomy?

Is the Blackbird WXproof? Again, on clear nights I wouldn't mind just hanging and looking up at the stars through the built-in mosquito netting. However, I normally pitch a tarp overhead. I've pitched the Blackbird and my tarp in the backyard and napped in it during thunderstorms. Zero issues.

Not sure that it would matter to you, but I prefer the material of the Blackbird to the material used in the Clarks. Just something about the material that Brandon uses.

I didn't keep the Clark for more than a few weeks. I tried to like it since I spent lots of money...but it just wasn't the right hammock system for me. Others love it and I think that's great. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It's what makes the world go 'round!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don’t own any Clarks (yet), but I had the chance to try the NA, NX150, & Vertex for several weeks, so I’ll chime in on my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaner View Post
    The WB doesn't appear to be as sophisticated...or maybe someone would call it advanced, BUT the gentleman producing the hammock seems to be held in very high regard...sooo there's probably some marketing plots that have worked on me for the time being.
    Not sure I would agree with that statement. The Clarks have more 'extras', but more sophisticated/advanced is a bit of a stretch. The extras amount to pockets below the hammock for storage/insulation, weathershield, & tarp. I wouldn't classify any of those as sophisticated/advanced, but I would call the weathershield "genius". It does do a very good job of retaining heat inside the sleeping area. I was using them last winter here in Colorado and found myself taking my summer topquilt in lieu of one of my heavier ones. So it does work, impressively so. However, a tarp, topcover, and pad/underquilt will do all the exact same things for a BB; just have to buy them separately.

The Blackbird is anything but confining in most people's opinions. Kind of like that car that is much bigger inside than you would think looking at it. I actually found the Clarks somewhat restrictive except in regards to vertical headroom, which I don't have much need for in a hammock.

The Clarks have a narrow bed compared to the Blackbirds; I could not sleep diagonally in any of the Clarks, save the Vertex. The Vertex allowed me to cheat by putting my feet across to the other hammock bed, but the other two models I was using forced me into a side sleeping position. Not complaining, I was pretty comfortable, but I felt limited in how I could sleep.

If weight is an issue, the BBs should trump the Clarks if the right additional gear is selected. That is one nice thing about the Clarks; they come with everything except insulation. I’m not a huge fan of the Clark tarps, and I have spent a lot of time now trying to be, but they do work fine. The pockets are a wonderful convenience, but I find their claims of being used as insulating components very much exaggerated. I would very rarely be carrying enough extra clothing to be able to even consider using them for insulation and I don’t like the idea of shoving leaves in them; spiders live in leaves and I want them to stay on the ground where they belong. On a good note, all of my UQs fit fine on the Clark models.

The BBs have the option of the double layer, which makes using a pad quite tolerable. It also reduces the amount of stretch in the fabric, which is nice. The shelf is horribly addictive; you’ve been warned. The footbox is one of the most innovative design concepts for gathered end hammocks that I’ve seen so far and provides the sleeper with almost every sleeping option there is except stomach sleeping; need a Bridge from the Jacks for that.

Both are of equal quality craftsmanship IMO. The Blackbirds are put together by the designer in his garage (doesn’t get much more ‘cottage’). I haven’t visited the Clark shop, but I understand they do all their own building too. Just a little more large scale. I didn’t find any bad stitches or loose seams on any of the 3 Clarks I used and they were not new. They had all been used frequently prior to my playtime. The same is said for my Warbonnet hammocks. Most have at least 100 nights on them and none show any signs of wear. So, it’s a dead heat in the quality department to me.

If you are a dedicated side sleeper and don’t want to do the research and work finding the right tarp combo, then I don’t think you’ll be sorry with a Clark. If you like to personalize your setup and tend to sleep in a variety of positions, you won’t be sorry with a Blackbird.

Obviously from my signature, I’m biased. I’m a big fan of the Warbonnet line of hammocks and make no effort to hide it. But, I used to think poorly of the Clark systems until a kind person let me try his Clarks for myself. I admit that changed my perspective a bit. They are good, solid hammocks with some very nice features. I personally, don’t find them half as comfortable as the BBs. However, others find them more so. Really, really a good idea to try one before you buy if you have the chance. The feel of those two hammocks are very much different and not easy to compare comfort wise since everybody is different.

Good luck! Either way, you’ll have a hammock to be proud of.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    Well, look what happens when I procrastinate about getting back here.

Most everything has been said at this point.

I have the Clark NX200. And I have the WB BB 1.7Double.

As much as I love the Clark, I must admit that I sleep in the WBBB almost exclusively now.

I'm a fairly big guy. 5'11" I think. 260 lbs pretty evenly distributed. I'm wider at the shoulders than at the waist, if that helps understand where I'm coming from.

The Clark has never felt like it squeezes me any more than any other hammock I've tried. But the design of the hammock is for a straight-down-the-middle lay. And that in itself is just a more restricted sleeping arrangement. Having said that, I can say that there is some room for changing your position. When I sleep in the Clark, I have room to move my legs and arms around plenty. Laying on my back in the Clark, I do feel the NEED to have something under my knees though. I can also sleep on my side . . . but the curve at my waist is more pronounced than in the Blackbird.

The Blackbird's diagonal lay allows for a much more flat and comfortable lay while on my back. I don't feel the need to put anything under my knees. And if I need to flip to my side, the curve at my waist isn't much different than a mattress.

Weatherproofness . . . . there's really not much difference between the two. In the rain, you'll need a separate tarp. Period.
    The weathershield on the Clark is really only for light mist and to retain heat.

And you can get the same heat-retention on the Blackbird by adding some kind of top cover draped over the bugnet. Personally, I would recommend the Arrowhead Equipment top-cover that Paul makes.

Bottom insulation: I think the pockets on the Clark are an interesting design concept. They do work. And with the pocket-quilts that I designed (and Clark has released their version) . . . they work pretty darn well.
    But IMO, an actual underquilt works better. Stuffing the pockets with your clothes just isn't sufficient in my experience. But others (such as Cavediver) do just fine with zip-loc freezerbags and things like that in the pockets.
    And if you rely on the Clark pockets for storing your gear, that gear in the pockets will push your underquilt off of the hammock body, making it less efficient. So you'd need to adjust your winter strategy for storing gear.
    But then the Blackbird has very little provision for storing your gear. The shelf is great for storing your glasses, a book, a headlamp, etc where you can easily reach them. But I wouldn't try to put much more up there. So if you want to store more gear, you'll either need to keep it in your backpack or get a gear-hammock or something.

Um . . . what other observations do I have . . . .

I like the vertical headroom in the Clark better. You can sit up comfortably without removing the bugnet.
    I have to kind of hunch over when sitting up in the Blackbird. Or unzip the bugnet and flip it over the ridgeline.

I'm starting to dislike the triangle rings on the Blackbird. I think I'll be switching to the cinch buckle soon. And I don't like the Blackbird's strap material; it seems to stretch too much for me. So I've swapped that to the seatbelt webbing from Strapworks.

I wasn't crazy about the Clark's rope. I switched to cinch buckles and straps for a while. Then I changed over to a structural ridgeline with climbing rings and straps. This setup is much better for me.

All of my hammocks and straps now have the Dutch Clips too. Very nice.

That should be enough rambling from me.

Let me know if you think of any other questions though.
    Last edited by RAW; 10-15-2009 at 15:10.

Clark vs. Warbonnet

Thanks for the insight so far.

Do any of you happen to live close to Norther KY and own a Clark NX150. As suggested in the last post...it would be nice to have a crack at both of them.

Thanks again,

Shane

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Whats WXproof? waterproof? waxproof?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Whats WXproof? waterproof? waxproof?
    WX is an abbreviation for weather.
    Combine WX + proof = weatherproof
    He used it as sort of a shorthand thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast