DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Integrated bug net shape?

I am curious.
    I have slept in one of my < 11’ hammocks for the last few days. It has a long ridge line so its relative flat and I have found myself shifting sides several times.
    It has a asym bug net but I am wondering how a symmetrical bug net works and what impact it has on the hammock?
    Please have in mind this is about integrated bug nets sewn to the hammock with zipper(s)
    Bug nets.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I use the asym design not sewn to the hammock and have been very happy. It's a soft seal and I don't switch sides, but I've used it at least 20 nights and it's worked great. Attaches at each end and drapes across your ridgeline.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I am curious.
    I have slept in one of my < 11’ hammocks for the last few days. It has a long ridge line so its relative flat and I have found myself shifting sides several times.
    It has a asym bug net but I am wondering how a symmetrical bug net works and what impact it has on the hammock?
    Please have in mind this is about integrated bug nets sewn to the hammock with zipper(s)
    Bug nets.png
    I have done some research on this myself recently for my upcoming hammock DIY project for my girlfriend. I have convinced her to venture out into the piney woods with me but she refuses to sleep on the ground (shes a keeper...).

My understand and opinion is this: The asym design is the most common on "asym hammocks" as the name would suggest. The only thing that makes an asym hammock asym is the integrated bug net. It allows for a fully diagonal lay without stretching the netting or misshaping the hammock. You'll find this on Hennessy asyms, Dream Hammocks, and Warbonnets. Some have complained that an integrated asym bug net causes leg and foot pain, and changes the lay of the hammock. Others disagree, and I agree with them (though I've only spent a few nights in my integrated net WBBB XLC).

The hex design allows for "switching sides" throughout the night. In other words, moving from head right feet left, to head left feet right. It is essentially a "double asym" in that it allows a diagonal lay in either direction. It uses more fabric, and is only beneficial if you are a switcher. It would likely be easier to measure without setting up the hammock, as it follows the edges of the hammock all around, which isn't very useful for the DIYer.

The diamond design appears to be a solution without a problem, and I know of no hammocks on the market that utilize it. It seems that it would not result in comfortable diagonal lay, as the "tieout points" (not sure what to call them.. the corners your head and feet would rest in) are in the wrong spot (center of the hammock). I imagine that it would cause the hammock to bunch up and/or pull tight in inconvenient places, and not be very comfortable, for a diagonal sleeper. If you sleep banana-style (does anyone anymore?) it might be a good option.

Hope that helps. I am sure others will correct my understanding if it is wrong and I welcome it!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Just to clarify I have made several hammocks with asym bug nets so I know how they work and how they feel. It is the symmetric bug nets I am interested in, pros and cons. I have no clue how they behave and feel.

I doubt any of them uses more fabric than others (x²). We have a fixed length ridgeline and the length of the hammock doesn’t change so I can’t see how the area can change. The only thing we do is covering the empty space in different ways by pulling one way or the other. We can make the nets smaller but then we create tension over the ridgeline and on the net itself and then we have a different situation and it will create stress. I am not so sure it’s a good idea.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use shape b on my hammocks and it works fine. I do not notice any con's and the pro is I can switch sides if I want, or not worry about which end is the head end when setting up.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Just to clarify I have made several hammocks with asym bug nets so I know how they work and how they feel. It is the symmetric bug nets I am interested in, pros and cons. I have no clue how they behave and feel.

I doubt any of them uses more fabric than others (x²). We have a fixed length ridgeline and the length of the hammock doesn’t change so I can’t see how the area can change. The only thing we do is covering the empty space in different ways by pulling one way or the other. We can make the nets smaller but then we create tension over the ridgeline and on the net itself and then we have a different situation and it will create stress. I am not so sure it’s a good idea.
    I think the hex shape necessarily has to use more fabric. Likely not enough to add more than an ounce though depending on your fabric weight. I will likely use the hex on my girlfriend's so she doesnt have to worry about head/foot end during setup.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    A symmetrical shaped net will have an impact on the comfort of the hammock. This shape holds the head and foot areas higher and will decrease the flatness of lay.

Take a peek at the photos below.

DB01.jpg
    Here's a hammock without netting and the user laying in a pretty comfortable position.

DB03.jpg
    Here's the same hammock with an asym net zipped on. Notice how there is very little change in the shape of the hammock.

DB05.jpg
    Here's the same hammock with the tie-outs pulled out tightly to create a symmetrical shape. Notice how the edges at the asym points are pulled higher.

One important thing to remember is that the edge of the netting and the edge of the hammock must be same dimension. You can't simply make the net bigger and still get the zippers to fit. On an 11ft hammock (excluding channels) you've got 126" to work with. You can make any shape you like, but the edge needs to end up pretty close to 126" or you'll need a plan for dealing with either extra netting or extra hammock edge.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My mistake A hex shape net is bigger.
    11’ example in metric 83% ridgeline
    Net size.png
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Thanks PapaSmurf! Very interesting.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    A symmetrical shaped net will have an impact on the comfort of the hammock. This shape holds the head and foot areas higher and will decrease the flatness of lay.

Take a peek at the photos below.

DB01.jpg
    Here's a hammock without netting and the user laying in a pretty comfortable position.

DB03.jpg
    Here's the same hammock with an asym net zipped on. Notice how there is very little change in the shape of the hammock.

DB05.jpg
    Here's the same hammock with the tie-outs pulled out tightly to create a symmetrical shape. Notice how the edges at the asym points are pulled higher.

One important thing to remember is that the edge of the netting and the edge of the hammock must be same dimension. You can't simply make the net bigger and still get the zippers to fit. On an 11ft hammock (excluding channels) you've got 126" to work with. You can make any shape you like, but the edge needs to end up pretty close to 126" or you'll need a plan for dealing with either extra netting or extra hammock edge.
    I guess hex shaped nets isn’t optimal for taller people if they want to lay flat.
    Could be it changes if it’s a long ridgeline?
    The hammock I have used the last few nights has a 91% ridgeline and it’s not bad at all. It was the inspiration for the question. I actually don’t think any of my hammocks has a ridgeline of < 86%
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts