Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders

Hanging in Tornados

This past weekend I went to Leelanau State Park with my mom. A bit of background... I got my adventurous side from my dad. My mom never has been backpacking, or rustic camping ever... I vaguely remember having a trailer when we were little, but it was short lived. Anyway my mom who recently just got divorced for the second time has been bored and lonely, so I asked her if she wanted to drive up to the state park where I would be meeting a friend the next day. My mom decided that she would spend the night with me, and leave when my friend arrived. My friend's plans ended up changing and she was not able to come, so my mom volunteered to stay the second night.... My mom who puts lipstick on every hour, who is mortified if her neighbors see her in sweatpants, who is afraid of chipmunks ... Decided to camp with me two nights in a rustic state park.... It would have been a funny adventure without extremes... But we had extremes... My mom slept in a tent I slept in a hammock. the first night was great. My mom did awesome, she slept better than I did. The next morning we headed to Suttons Bay and did some shopping. It rained a but on and off ant there was even some serious windy squalls, but we were safe inside buildings every time things got nasty. After having some lunch we headed to Leland and realized they had gotten hit harder there were trees down and the power was out. I didn't think to really take any pictures. We sat through another storm in Leland and then headed back to our campsite. Everything was dry and cozy thanks to my awesome gear we both crawled in our respective beds and took a little nap, while napping another big storm came through, although we were still warm and dry, I realized that we were surrounded by trees and we might be better off not staying the night, because it was supposed to keep storming until 2am. So we packed up and drove home. As we were driving home we saw many trees down on houses, trees uprooted and power lines down. that picture does not do this storm justice but you get the general idea. There is an article about the storm here glenarborsun.com Glen Arbor is about 30 miles away from where we were. My mom and I are both safe and my mom is talking about trying a backpacking trip with me.... So I must have done something right.... Who knows maybe I will even convert her to being a hanger!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Glad that you exercised discernment and made a wise choice to pack it in. Also glad that you got your mom out there with you--and that she had such a good time that she's thinking about heading out again. It is usually the unexpected events that make the best stories.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sounds like you and your mom had a grand adventure!

And sounds like a wise move to call it quits given the weather. Here's to many more adventures with your mom!

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I have to say i got a good laugh from your story, reminds me alot of my daughter( with the makeup and all). It's great that your mom is interested keep up the good work and keep her motivaded with the camping besides there no better mother than mother nature. Happy hanging.

What kind of hammock tent is that?

I like your tarp, would you mind sharing details?

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    My tarp is a Warbonnet Superfly. I did lots of research before landing on the Superfly and I love it. I needed a Tarp that could be versatile, I wanted something that could fit two people under if needed, it needed to withstand storms like the one I experienced this past weekend, being a backpacker, I often go to remote places and the option to bug out does not exist so I needed something that would keep everything dry. I also wanted something that would offer me the same type of privacy as a tent, as I often also camp in campgrounds. I also needed something relatively lightweight that wouldn't break the bank. The Superfly is a little over a pound,so it's not ultralight, but it's light enough for me and considering all it can do well worth the money.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Well hanged. Hung. Hunged. Hangered. Strung up. And hear hear on the super tarp. A min tarp is great until that one time you're in the middle of nowhere and 30mph winds make one regret the lack of doors
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Images
    Good story. Glad you both are okay and I agree it was a good choice to pack it in.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That was a powerful system, poorly forecasted. Good call on cutting out early.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast