Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images

Hammeck Envy-S with HyperD XL

Just. Wow. I've used this new Envy-S for three nights at a scout camp. It's incredible. All three nights right around 70 degrees, one night with the Peekaboo top cover, and two with the more typical bug net. It's been 80 or higher each night, and the Peekaboo is warmer than the normal bug net. Tonight I'm gonna use the Peekaboo TC again, as it could be as low as 75 at bed time. Oooo...

Anyway, I'll skip the details because they were covered in an outstanding manner in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=107815. Great job, gunner! I'll just hit the main differences between our hammocks, and throw up a ton of pictures.

Mine is black HyperD XL 1.6 from RSBTR, with small, red ripstop triangles (also from RSBTR), and that same red fabric in the middle of the Peekaboo cover, under the bug net. The rest of the TC is the black HyperD. They used red thread because they're cool like that.

uploadfromtaptalk1438802118194.jpg

I asked to have pack hooks for the pull-outs because I'm a spaz who trips over guy lines all the time, and I only really hook the shock cord to the pack hooks when I'm going to lay in the hammock. I also asked to sew them on in a V-shape in the hopes that it would make the zipper flow even more smoothly around those pull-out points. We used red grosgrain to make the colors pop. Finally, they added pack hooks at the ends for quilt hooks. They work great.

uploadfromtaptalk1438802291353.jpg

Inside the hammock, I asked for lots of pockets sewn in (storage!), and they work great. They also lark's-headed a mesh stuff sack to the RL so there is a place to put the fabric that retracts inside the Peekaboo cover when it is fully unzipped. It works great.

uploadfromtaptalk1438803560367.jpg

When the hammock first arrived, I swapped out the whoopie sling suspension for cinch buckles, because I knew I'd be at scout camp all week, and I like to use whoopies when weight matters. The hammock came with the fixed loop of the WS's through the hammock's end channels. It was trivial to put continuous loops in the end channels instead of the WS's so that I can change suspensions whenever. I only had green and orange CL's at hand, so I'll look to make some black and red CL's in the future because the green and orange hurt the otherwise Maserati look of the hammock.

uploadfromtaptalk1438803507566.jpg

I disconnected the fixed RL that came with the hammock to add a RL organizer (more storage!), and a zing-it dog bone at each end so I can attach peek bags or my pillow inside.

The hammock width is outstanding. I'm 6'5", and I'm just not able to get comfortable in a 58-60" wide hammock. I have no such problem in this hammock. I'm a toss-and-turn sleeper, and I was comfortable in several variations of every back or side position I tried. Rooo-ooo-ooo-mie inside.

The quality and craftsmanship is evident here, too. Just as good as my WBBB XLC and my beloved SLD hammocks. Here are a ton of random pictures, some with both the Peekaboo and the normal mesh TC's, some with my SLD QuikHang UQ, and some with a Five Below hammock I use for additional gear storage (more storage!) suspended underneath.

uploadfromtaptalk1438804392538.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804426168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804466071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804492067.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804531014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804712999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804746246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438802291353.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804797252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804837734.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804874752.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804902135.jpg

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Holy cow, that's a lot of pictures. Thanks for sharing! We really had a lot of fun getting this thing specced out for you, and then putting it together. Enjoy!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Wow! I can see why it's named the envy! I am definatly in envy. Very nice looking hammock. Hope you get many happy nights in it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Nice pictures. Wish I had thought of the mods you had added. I am getting antsy waiting for it to cool off here so I can hang out again...its been staying in the mid to high 90s with high humidity here.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Very nice Mychal!

Even in an 11 foot Hammeck Envy I still get a little calf ridge on my left and hype extended knee on my right leg. It is simply fixed with my coat under my legs but I don't carry a coat in warm weather. So, does the extra width take away any and all calf ridge or hyperextension on the knees?
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    Very nice Mychal!

Even in an 11 foot Hammeck Envy I still get a little calf ridge on my left and hype extended knee on my right leg. It is simply fixed with my coat under my legs but I don't carry a coat in warm weather. So, does the extra width take away any and all calf ridge or hyperextension on the knees?
    Depending on how I lay, I seem to get some ridge and/or knee hyperextension in all my hammocks. In my XLC, I can't seem to get rid of it, even experimenting quite a bit. In my SLD hammocks, it's easy for me to avoid those problems. In the several 58-60" hammocks I own, it's a bit more of a struggle, but the problem there is that once I get diagonal enough to be sorta comfortable, I'm either hangin' over the edges so my TQ often falls out, or I'm pressed tightly against the integrated bug net. So, yeah, I also can't get comfy in an 11X58-ish hammock. And I have several.

This hammock takes ever so slightly more to get past the calf/knee issues than my SLD hammocks, but the difference is trivial. I move all about throughout the night when I sleep. And I'm very, very comfortable in this hammock.

This hammock is significantly more functional than any other hammock I own. It's the perfect balance of weight and function for me. And it'll work well for 4 seasons, too. It's freaking amazing.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I am contacting you because it seems you have a number of hammocks, and may be able to shed some light for me.
    I am looking for a hammock with integrated bug net.
    On my list are the Hammeck Netty, the SLD Lair, the Dream Hammock RoamingGnome and the the WBBB.
    How do these compare?
    Thanks for any help.
    Matt

PS. Thank you for helping out at Scout Camp. I am grown now, but it was always a great experience going through Boy Scouts...and it was only possible because of involved leaders.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by readyme View Post
    I am contacting you because it seems you have a number of hammocks, and may be able to shed some light for me.
    On my list are the Hammeck Netty, the SLD Lair, the Dream Hammock RoamingGnome and the the WBBB.
    How do these compare?
    Thanks for any help.
    Matt

PS. Thank you for helping out at Scout Camp. I am grown now, but it was always a great experience going through Boy Scouts...and it was only possible because of involved leaders.
    To be fair, I had as much fun as my son at scout camp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by readyme View Post
    How do these compare?
    Thanks for any help.
    Matt

The rest of what you're asking is pretty open ended. All of them will be, fer sher, first rate craftsmanship.

-I do not own a RG, but DH has an excellent reputation.
    - The SLD TL will likely be built and in the mail within a day or so of your order. Take this literally. I'm not exaggerating Also, the top cover/net is not symmetrical, so you do not need to designate right or left lay, other than if you are adding tie outs.
    - Time for a note. It occurs to me that this may not be obvious: In the case of each of these integrated bug net hammocks, the hammock body itself is, more or less, rectangular. It is only the cover which gives the hammock an asymmetrical lay, other than the Trail Lair. And this is one of my favorite features of the TL, by the way. I'm a huge mover when I sleep, and I don't necessarily want to be constrained to one lay direction. But I digress...
    - The Hammeck is my favorite hammock, now. It has the most features of all my hammocks, and I use every single one of them. That Peekaboo top cover just absolutely rocks. But this is a premium hammock at a matching cost. I saved for a while and sold a bunch of other stuff to get it.
    - To be clear, I don't have a Blackbird. I have a Blackbird XLC. It's pretty much the 11' version of the Blackbird, which is 10 feet long. It's also the most difficult to describe, of the hammocks you listed. The shelf is just brilliant. The cover also forms, when attached to the hammock, a foot box. I've never been able to get quite comfortable in mine, but I can see from the number of attempts I've made why those who are able to figure out a comfy lay would love this hammock. It's so innovative and unique.

Finally, Hammeck, Warbonnet, and SLD each offer very reliable, hands on service. You'll be working, in each case, directly with the owners, when you have questions. You can't go wrong there in any case.

Your decision is not an easy one, grasshopper. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast