GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    A #3 coil zipper will be fine for a bug net and most other hammock projects. IMO using #5 zippers is overkill for most projects. You can save weight and bulk by using a #3. Remember a zipper is not load bearing nor should it be IMO.
    That is part of why I was asking if and what people were using. I was hoping to avoid #5 zippers, but if that was all I could find in the length I needed, then that would be what I was going to use.

As you have discovered finding a long separating zippers can be difficult. There are pros and cons with everything including zippers. If you use a fixed length zipper you have to be very accurate with your measuring and sewing. A lot of us uses zippers by the yard. You can add as many sliders to them as you want (you can’t on separating zippers as far as I know) but the disadvantages is its more difficult to join the two sides but far from impossible. Ask yourself how often do you separate the zipper vs. the advantage with several sliders? There are several other threads in the forum about zippers including videos if you need more info on the subject.
    I am sewing an HH clone in the next week or so for my Dad as a present. I plan on offering up to him the ability for me to add a bug net in the future, should he want one. For that, i think that zipper chain would be fine since I could make both sides zip from end to end and either allow it to be bunched up and tied off to the ridgeline, or set it up so that it detaches on one side and can be balled up and stuffed away on the other.

The reason I was asking about the separating zipper was for the WBBB Clone I plan on making after that for myself. I have read that most people are stripping out zipper teeth to allow them to detach the net when using zipper chain, and I want to avoid that.

I am not saying one is better than the other but it depends on what it’s for and what you expect.
    I agree.

Looks like the best bet for me right now, would be the #3 Coil from ZipperLady. Its roughly double the price, but its a #3 coil. Who knows? Maybe I can dye the fabric and just have a white zipper? That would be a good compromise at this time.

I will however hold out to see what Kyle ends up releasing in a few weeks. I'm hoping he will have the ability to add stops, retainer boxes, and insertion pins, to any length of zipper.
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I did use a #5 coil zipper on the first hammock with integrated bug net I made and I doubt I will use #5 again after having seen and tried #3. Huge difference IMO.

Remember zippers for a hammocks need to have pull tabs on both sides! Doesn’t look like the zipperlady has it. You will regret it if they don’t have pull tabs on both sides!
    If you go for zipper by the yard buy 4 sliders per hammock. It is a nice option to have when you can open the hammock in both sides and because you have 4 sliders you decide where the opening should be.
    D-pull.jpg
    If you go with the separating zipper the opening is at the end of the zipper and its one way so it’s a bad idea IMO to have the zipper end at the hammock end. I have seen separating zippers with two sliders but never as long as we need them. I guess the marked is too small for that type.

Sadly I think we are more likely to find gold in the backyard than to find the perfect separating hammock zipper.
    I have looked for pictures and this was the best I could find but it is a teeth type
    If you ask me it should be similar to the picture but #3 coil and have pull tabs on both sides and black color
    zipper.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Remember zippers for a hammocks need to have pull tabs on both sides!
    Yeah... I completely forgot about that :facepalm:

Since the WBBB Clone is in the future, I have time to see what the solution that Kyle ends up selling on RSBTR is, and if it will fit my needs or not.

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -c0de- View Post
    Yeah... I completely forgot about that :facepalm:

Since the WBBB Clone is in the future, I have time to see what the solution that Kyle ends up selling on RSBTR is, and if it will fit my needs or not.
    Make sure you don't use locking zippers! About 2 years ago someone locked themselves in a hammock using a single tab locking zipper, thinking he could just work the zipper from the inside..

Can't remember who it was, but I remember reading the post.

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    Make sure you don't use locking zippers! About 2 years ago someone locked themselves in a hammock using a single tab locking zipper, thinking he could just work the zipper from the inside..

Can't remember who it was, but I remember reading the post.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound too fun!

Eagle Scout - 2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12