I was all set to go on this trip when 2 of our 3 cars broke down the day before I was set to leave. We were able to get both cars fixed by Friday and I thought about heading up north. I had to get out, I already had the day off work and didn't want to waste it but decided to stay close to home as I didn't want to head up by myself and I'd just spent a bunch of $ on the cars.

I got my youngest son, Sam out of school early and we headed up to Yellow River State Forest up on the IA/WI border. Forecast was about the same as for the Northern Hang but plus 5 degrees.
DSC04375.JPG

We hit the trail and headed for the Camp John Schultz backpacking site. Set up the hammocks and got a fire going. Sam was in his HH Exped with Big Agnes air core pad and Moonstone Iguana bag that I got from Turk. He was toasty warm, thanks Turk! I was in my Blackbird with KAQ, windshield reflector between layers and my WM 20 degree bag.

DSC04384.jpg DSC04388.jpg

Topcovers haven't been in the budget as of yet so we came up with our own. We cannibalized Sam's old Star Wars tent for his and I used a lightweight hammock for mine. Rigged up some attachment points and they worked great. Definitely added some warmth. Had a great time around the fire both nights.
DSC04418.JPG

Hiked around the park on Saturday and eventually ended up at the Brown's Hollow camp. It was a chilly 35-40 degrees but we never got any snow or rain. It was sunny all day.
DSC04397.jpgDSC04440.JPG

We played a little walnut baseball. Sam was knocking the shells off of the walnuts just like the Yankees ripped the Twins pitching. That's for you AC!
DSC04409.jpg

We ate the taco pockets that I had ready for the Northern Hang. Man, they were tasty.
DSC04424.JPG

It got pretty cold Saturday night. Official temp reading for the night was 20 degrees. We were good and toasty around the fire and in the hammocks, so it was a great night!

Woke up the next morning and had a warm breakfast and headed back to the car. Had a great time hiking with my boy and remembered how much I enjoy the cooler weather! Hit a little opossum with the car on the way home. Sam wanted a picture. Sorry PETA and animal lovers. It was an accident.

DSC04454.JPGDSC04451.jpg

Looking forward to the next Northern Hang, whether it's in the far north or a little bit south.