Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight restrictions

Hello from the Rock.
    When I say the Rock , that means Newfoundland Canada.
    The most easterly piece of land in North America.
    I am very new to this type of a sleeping system, but am very interested in how it can fit my needs.
    We have a very harse climate that can run you through all the seasons in a single day.
    Our winters can go down to -45 c . I don't recommend sleeping outside then but you get the idea of the extremes we have to live with.
    Snowmobiling is super popular here and I am looking for a system that is light and easly set up if one gets stuck out in the country.
    I also like the idea for hunting and fishing, allowing a person to travel far and fast.
    My biggest question is , is there a weight restriction, I weigh about 340, 6 ft tall.
    I am very active believe it or not.
    Ilike the looks of the bridged systems.
    I look forward to any ideas or thoughts anyone might have on my querry.

Take care , regards
    Rockminder
    Last edited by rockminder; 10-16-2009 at 10:55. Reason: spell check

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Welcome to the forums rockminder!

I'm fairly new myself, but weight restrictions shouldn't be too big an issue. I weigh around 350# and am 6', and I haven't had any problems finding gear to hold my weight. I can't speak on the bridge hammocks, but many of the gathered end hammocks are rated for 400# or more. A few that come to mind: Grand Trunk, ENO, TrekLight, Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.7. I'm sure there are more that I'm leaving out. I think you'll find that the size of your wallet will be a far greater limiter on gear selection than what you weigh, that at least has been my experience.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm not quite as big as you, but with me and the 2 youngsters in the WBBB(Warbonnet Blackbird), we have about 30lbs. on you and it holds up well. I use my double layer 1.7 for wilderness treking, it's very durable and comfy.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A bridge hammock would be very problematic for your weight. However that is not because of any problem with the fabric. It has to do with the forces that are in play on the spreader bars. If you were to use a solid rod like a 18 mm hardwood dowel as a spreader bar you would probably be ok. The fabric and suspnsion ropes used on the bridge hammocks should support your weight but you would absolutely need to go to a one piece bar. I'm sure the Jacks would be able to give you some guidance on the tradeoffs there.

My personal experience is that the bridge is not as comfortable for the big guys (me included) as the gathered end. The system is very comfortable and very flat, but it is somewhat more constricting. There has been a lot of talk about "shoulder squeeze" for big guys in the bridge but that's not really whats going on. The gathered end hammocks ahave a broader range of stretch and give so that I found I can change position more comfortably in a gathered end. When the 1 piece spreader bar is factored in, the gathered end becomes a lighter, more compact system. Just my experience having used botht he HH and a DIY Bridge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thumbs up Thanks so far

So far this is good news.
    I am looking forward to constructing a system to fit my needs. I rarely travel without a means of transportation, (snowmobile, utv or boat) but do hike away from these pieces of equipment. This means there is not a weight issue in respect to the sleep system.
    My biggest concern will be comfort and survivability with respect to the cold, and it can get down there along with extreme winds I've been out when the windchill has hit around -90c, didn't sleep out in this but had to work in it for about 20 minutes at a time. I hope to be able to stay out in it to around -20c.

The comfort issue will depend on my ability to sleep in my normal positions, one my sides and be able to turn over.
    My question here is whether or not the gathered or bridged systems will allow this, is one better than the other.
    I would like to here a debate as such on one system compared to the other.

Again thanks for helping out a newbee.

Regards Rockminder

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Welcome, Newfoundlander!

Quote Originally Posted by rockminder
    ...be able to turn over.
    Only in a bridge hammock, maybe.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Welcome, Newfoundlander!

Only in a bridge hammock, maybe.

- MacEntyre
    My personal experience would be the opposite. I find it easier to roll around in the gathered end than in a bridge. That's helpful ain't it..!!
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    That's helpful ain't it..!!
    Ha! Perhaps it's just that I'm scared to turn over in a hammock, fearing that it will come crashing down, or I will get stuck halfway!

It's like sleeping bags... I've never tried to get inside one while in a hammock. Just the thought of trying it is enough to stop me!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It's like sleeping bags... I've never tried to get inside one while in a hammock. Just the thought of trying it is enough to stop me!

I've wriggled around in a few moves to get into a sleeping bag that due to the temperatures I started out on top of ... no real problems in a HH. As far as turning over ... I've not had any problems ... usually sleep on my side but have found myself sleeping on the other side ... so either trolls rolled me over in the middle of the night or I managed to do it without a problem in my sleep!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugfit Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm a big girl and I have never had any problems. I use a ENO double nest hammock and it works just fine. I use 1" nylon webbing and cinch buckles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast