Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Want to make my double nest like my traveler.

After trying out my Traveler yesterday it made me realize how bad slap straps really are. Either the trees are too far apart or they are too big. So I'd like to copy the suspension of my traveler to my DN. I'm going to get the straps from the strap guy in Oregon. Where do I get that super thin lines he uses to connect the hammock to the straps? Is it possible to buy just enough to for one hammock? Or will I need to buy an entire roll?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It is gray Amsteel. You can buy it by the foot from Redden, or Seattle Marine, or APS.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm not sure what suspension system the Travel Hammock has, but let me tell you about an option that I use on my ENO Double. I got a strap system / tri-glide set from Jacks R Better. I then bought a pair of Dutch clips from the hammock forums store. The JrB straps come with a loop in one end. I connect the loop end with the Dutch Clip around the tree. I then take the strap down and put it through the rope loop at the end of the ENO double. It wraps back up and connects via the tri-glid which offers the adjustability. All told the suspension system weighs 4.93g (on paper) and you get to stop carrying caribiners for the ENO which results in a huge net weight loss.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So you didn't cut and replace the rope that serves to close the hammock at the end and connect the straps.
    That's not a bad idea at all. Saves me having to buy the amsteel.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Can someone post the link for the strap shop that's up in Eugene Oregon. I did a google search but could not find his site. Also what thickness amsteel do I need? Is there any difference between the blue,grey, or green amsteel?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You can certainly do that for a fine suspension, but you asked about making it like the Traveler which does not have cording through the end channel.

To make the ENO more like a Traveler, you probably would need to start by removing the suspension cording and re-whipping the end using the first part of the method shown here. For the ridgeline, you would tie two 4.5" loops in the end of a cord whose finished length is about 102". Feed those loops through the whipping on each end, and around the suspension of your choice.

The Traveler can be gotten with either cording or webbing/rings/buckle suspension just like the Blackbirds. But, each of those methods attaches to the end of the hammock whipping via a lark's head with cording.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Can someone post the link for the strap shop that's up in Eugene Oregon. I did a google search but could not find his site. Also what thickness amsteel do I need? Is there any difference between the blue,grey, or green amsteel?
    I think you mean StrapWorks, specifically their Simple Sling.

Either 7/64" or 1/8" Amsteel is appropriate. I prefer 1/8". The only difference in the the Amsteel colors is...the color.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You can certainly do that for a fine suspension, but you asked about making it like the Traveler which does not have cording through the end channel.

To make the ENO more like a Traveler, you probably would need to start by removing the suspension cording and re-whipping the end using the first part of the method shown here. For the ridgeline, you would tie two 4.5" loops in the end of a cord whose finished length is about 102". Feed those loops through the whipping on each end, and around the suspension of your choice.

The Traveler can be gotten with either cording or webbing/rings/buckle suspension just like the Blackbirds. But, each of those methods attaches to the end of the hammock whipping via a lark's head with cording.
    When I said more like the traveler I just meant having the strap and buckle set up. I don't mean having it whipped the same way or having a ridgline. I find the eno very comfortable as it is. It's just a pain to hang with the slap straps. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just gotta order all my parts/

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    When I said more like the traveler I just meant having the strap and buckle set up. I don't mean having it whipped the same way or having a ridgline. I find the eno very comfortable as it is. It's just a pain to hang with the slap straps. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just gotta order all my parts/
    Ah, I misunderstood. Good luck with your project.

The following might be helpful, depending on what you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    So you didn't cut and replace the rope that serves to close the hammock at the end and connect the straps.
    That's not a bad idea at all. Saves me having to buy the amsteel.
    It's the best suspension system I could come up with that doesn't involve any surgery to the hammock itself. The tri-glides are a little stiff, that's my only complaint. I'm liking it so far, just need to get it out in some nasty stuff to really test it.

• + New Posts