Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    On really windy rainy nights I lower my tarp and peg it close in at the sides plus close the doors at each end. If I leave the tarp out wide and don't close the ends, especially with gusty wind, I get wet. I can't tell but it looks like the tarp can not be pegged in close enough to make a difference and ditto for the doors. Is this just they way it looks in the movie or is this really a challenge? Any options to going to ground if you hit that rare time (here in the east) where there are no trees in the immediate area? I saw this hammock a while ago and thought it would be interesting, just wondered if usable in bad windy weather. Thanks.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I sure do hope you enjoy it.....I was just out sitting in mine getting to knowit a bit better. Playing with pad pressure. Really liking it.
    Also, check this thread too....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oducing-Draumr
    Whooooooooo Buddy)))))))
    Shug
    Shug, I'm thinking as the AMOK becomes more popular this will open a whole new line of DUTCHWARE for these...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    On really windy rainy nights I lower my tarp and peg it close in at the sides plus close the doors at each end. If I leave the tarp out wide and don't close the ends, especially with gusty wind, I get wet. I can't tell but it looks like the tarp can not be pegged in close enough to make a difference and ditto for the doors. Is this just they way it looks in the movie or is this really a challenge? Any options to going to ground if you hit that rare time (here in the east) where there are no trees in the immediate area? I saw this hammock a while ago and thought it would be interesting, just wondered if usable in bad windy weather. Thanks.
    It has no doors but has a lot of room from the open ends to hammock. The hammock can sit pretty high to. It is raining now out and pitched. Not too windy though.
    Maybe blocking a side with a rain jacket or rain kilt would help a lot in a high wind storm along with good site selection. Also Grizz Beak could help.
    I hope to find out and as I always say....in a very windy rainy storm with a tarp with no door flaps sometimes it is best to take down gear and stash it in the pack and sit it out under the tarp until the deluge passes. Part of the tarp life. Mother Nature often dictates our actions out there.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Thanks for the videos. I have been curious about how they worked. A bit of goofyness made it interesting an informing. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome video as always Shug.
    I got to try out an Amok briefly when Mr. Derek Hansen brought it for show and tell at the Texas Hang last November. It is a cool piece of gear. Plenty of people were enamored with it.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    I sure do hope you enjoy it.....I was just out sitting in mine getting to knowit a bit better. Playing with pad pressure. Really liking it.
    Shug, is this the correct pad???...http://www.moontrail.com/exped-downmat-9-pump-dlx.php

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Thanks for the videos. I have been curious about how they worked. A bit of goofyness made it interesting an informing. ;-)
    Y'elcome. I am drawn to it. I am.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Awesome video as always Shug.
    I got to try out an Amok briefly when Mr. Derek Hansen brought it for show and tell at the Texas Hang last November. It is a cool piece of gear. Plenty of people were enamored with it.
    It is like getting into a high end car for the first time....you get it. Fun hammock so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach-Red View Post
    It is the correct type of pad. Take into account the temps you want to camp in. The ones you show are 4 season. If you are a fair weather camper you could get a cheaper one. I have this REI pad with a 2.9 R value.....http://www.rei.com/product/870758/re...r-sleeping-pad
    I found these figures....
    R value is the insulation warmth:
    To remain thermally neutral at the following temps the corresponding r values must be used with a proper EN rated bag and a light baselayer.

0 degrees=7.0r
    10 degrees=6.0r
    20 degrees=5.0r
    30 degrees=4.0r
    40 degrees=3.0r
    50 degrees=2.0r

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    It has no doors but has a lot of room from the open ends to hammock. The hammock can sit pretty high to. It is raining now out and pitched. Not too windy though.
    Maybe blocking a side with a rain jacket or rain kilt would help a lot in a high wind storm along with good site selection. Also Grizz Beak could help.
    I hope to find out and as I always say....in a very windy rainy storm with a tarp with no door flaps sometimes it is best to take down gear and stash it in the pack and sit it out under the tarp until the deluge passes. Part of the tarp life. Mother Nature often dictates our actions out there.

My first thought was I would not be too worried about the sides. Its just a wall of fabric, I would however DWR the hell out of the sides and bottom before I took the hammock out in bad weather in an attempt to prevent wicking moisture.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have had it the rain for a few times no with no moisture at all due to wicking. The only was me getting in a bit damp from the falling rain. It sits well in from the sides. Would take a serious blow to get you wet. That can happen with any hammock and hex tarp.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    It is the correct type of pad. Take into account the temps you want to camp in. The ones you show are 4 season. If you are a fair weather camper you could get a cheaper one. I have this REI pad with a 2.9 R value.....http://www.rei.com/product/870758/re...r-sleeping-pad

I found these figures....

R value is the insulation warmth:

To remain thermally neutral at the following temps the corresponding r values must be used with a proper EN rated bag and a light baselayer.

0 degrees=7.0r
    10 degrees=6.0r
    20 degrees=5.0r
    30 degrees=4.0r
    40 degrees=3.0r
    50 degrees=2.0r
    I figure I might as well go with the better pad (EXPED 9LW) right from the start...I do get out in the winter and it usually in the range of 0*-10* plus whatever the windchill...Last winter we were out a couple times where the temps reached -15* with windchill...

After looking at weights this new setup should be come in around 141oz (8.8lbs)...

AMOK 3.0 w/tarp = 72oz
    EXPED 9LW = 44oz
    HG 20* Incubator +2.0oz = 24.7oz

My old setup came in at 109.6oz (6.9lbs)

WBBB DBL 1.7 = 37.0oz
    WB Superfly w/tie-outs and snake skins = 21.0oz
    HG 20* Incubator +2.0oz = 24.7oz
    HG 20* Phoenix +2.0oz = 26.9oz

2lbs heavier but the comfort may be worth it...Can't wait to get it and try it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast