Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images

ring vs. tri-glide, help

Well as a hanger with some experience, I'm tweaking the setup constantly, this trip I used the tri glide buckle. 1.5 10' strap and caribiners. Took forever to hang, with some difficulty. Today I picked up some rings and I'm gonna give that a shot using the "To the Woods" set up. Some where there's a question, huh.

Am I missing something with the triglides? I'm assuming the ridge line will be fine with the rings. I have the HH ULA. Does the line thickness matter? The rings seem like the way to go. Here's the plan.........attach the rings to the hammock ridge line, 4-6 inches from the gathering, use the 10' strap with a caribiner or ran thru the loop, seems simple enough?

I have to compliment the War Bonnet guys for their You Tube info videos, very helpful. Check 'em out no matter which hammock you have.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapes View Post
    I have the HH ULA. Does the line thickness matter? The rings seem like the way to go. Here's the plan.........attach the rings to the hammock ridge line, 4-6 inches from the gathering, use the 10' strap with a caribiner or ran thru the loop, seems simple enough?
    I am confused. There seems to be a pervasive use of the term "ridgeline" when I would expect "suspension" lines would be more accurate. Am I out of line here? I assume you plan to attach the rings to the lines to the trees. Those are the suspension lines. In a HH setup the ridgeline is that line interior to the hammock. I don't mean to pick on you Scrapes... I have come across this in several posts fairly recently. I don't want to be anal about terminology and usage. At the same time... particularly with the number of newbies we seem to be attracting I think is important to be correct and explicit.

Rant over.... To answer your question... my rings are more like 10" from the gathering but part of that is the room needed to attach the Super Shelter and Overcover elastic loops. If you hang your tarp from the suspension lines you want to make sure that you leave enough room to keep the prussics in the proper place.

FWIW I have also been buffaloed by the tri-glides. I'm going to have to take a look at the Jack's setup at MAHHA and see if I can figure y=out what I have been doing wrong.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    mea culpa..........ridge line.

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    mea culpa..........ridge line.
    I am a dope..............suspension line.

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    To answer your question... my rings are more like 10" from the gathering but part of that is the room needed to attach the Super Shelter and Overcover elastic loops. If you hang your tarp from the suspension lines you want to make sure that you leave enough room to keep the prussics in the proper place.

Thats a good point, I'll keep the prussics in mind. Can you believe I still used the wrong terminology when I tried to correct the error. I kill me sometimes.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You say you use 1.5 10' straps with the triglides. assume we are talking about triglides from JRB. As far as I know they only work with 1" straps. I find the triglides very easy to use. Rings are a little easier since treading them is a tiny bit easier but it is no biggie. One thing I do to make it easier to thread the triglides is cut my webbing on a 45 degree angle.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I picked up some rings yesterday. I just set the hammock up in my basement with them, love em! The ease of set up is simple and fast.

Thanks guys for the help and patience with my inaccuracies. I never let details/facts get in the way.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    No problem, don't forget to put the back up knot on the rings.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Well as a hanger with some experience, I'm tweaking the setup constantly, this trip I used the tri glide buckle. 1.5 10' strap and caribiners. Took forever to hang, with some difficulty. Today I picked up some rings and I'm gonna give that a shot using the "To the Woods" set up. Some where there's a question, huh.

Am I missing something with the triglides? I'm assuming the ridge line will be fine with the rings. I have the HH ULA. Does the line thickness matter? The rings seem like the way to go. Here's the plan.........attach the rings to the hammock ridge line, 4-6 inches from the gathering, use the 10' strap with a caribiner or ran thru the loop, seems simple enough?

I have to compliment the War Bonnet guys for their You Tube info videos, very helpful. Check 'em out no matter which hammock you have.
    I see that you have already tried the rings and are fine with that, so problem solved. But I am still a little confused as to what you were doing at 1st, if you have time to elaborate. Because 1st, the JRB Triglides should have worked OK, but would have needed 1" webbing(as AS said) attached to the hammock. Had you already replaced the HH rope with webbing? I'm sure it was misery to use if you were using 1.5" webbing, I don't see how you could make it work at all.

But with rings, usually it is rope from hammock to rings( or to cinch buckles, or to WB triangle thingies) and then webbing from rings to tree. How are you doing this?

One caution: if you have rope ( or webbing?) going from the hammock to the rings/cinch buckles/WB triangles, be sure it is short enough so that your tarp covers the rings on both sides. That way the rings will act as a block to water flowing down the webbing/rope to your hammock.

Hammock
    HH ULA
    Tarp
    Warbonnett
    Insulation
    JRB Nest/Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Well to clarify, and reiterate, **** the facts, anyway I miss copied the info from the JRB web site, the loop is 1.5" and the strapping is 1". Thats where the 1.5 came from. I originally tied caribiners to the ridgeline and then hooked them to the strapping leading to the the tree. I was not interested in cutting the ridgeline. The tri-glides were just difficult to thread the strap through and to adjust the length of the straps once everything was up. Now the rings, grab the strap and pull, yup I'm aware to tie a hitch behind the rings. Thanks for that note though.

Thanks for the advice I'm trying to get things squared away, doing the Foothills Trail in SC in 2 weeks. Replacing the tarp is next.
    Last edited by Scrapes; 10-17-2009 at 17:51. Reason: typo

• + New Posts