Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt

Underquilts: have we overlooked the obvious?

Hi All,
    here's a pic of one of my hammock setups. DIY silnylon tarp (5 x 10) with pocket of 900 loft down sewn to the bottom of the hammock.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

It's a hybrid of designs used by Risk (imrisk.com) and JustJeff (tothewoods).
    Basically a pocket with 1" darts sewn into each side is then attached to the hammock body with a zigzag stitch, allowing for any stretch of the hammock fabric.
    No baffles necessary. The down in mine lofts up to fill the pocket, leaving no cold spots.

Yet this design seems to have been overlooked for the most part. There was initial skepticism that the stitching on the hammock body would cause it to fail, yet this hasn't been an issue after years of use.

I can't help but wonder whether the traditional hammock underquilt, artfully suspended just-right beneath the hammock isn't overengineered.You have the nylon of the hammock, then the nylon of the inner side of the underquilt, then the nylon of the outside of the underquilt. Surely some of this could be reduced with the insulated hammock idea.

With the recent interest in the warbonnet 3/4 Yeti underquilts (I love mine!), it would seem that the logical conclusion is a permanently attached insulating layer.

I have heard the argument that this is not adjustable for different temperatures, but c'mon. How many of us only use one setup? I'm trying to downgrade to only a summer and winter setup, and so have taken interest once more in this idea.

What about a double layer 1.1oz hammock with down pocket sewn to the outer layer, negating the possible weakening of fabric?
    The upside is that with no baffles, commercial manufacturing should be easy!

I've basically just copied the design of others, not too much innovation on my part. But I know there's some creative types on here that could take the concept to the next level! How about it guys?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Very interesting. I'm surprised it works well without baffles. I still think the modular approach has merit, but I wouldn't be sad to see more designs like yours out there...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There has been some significant discussion about "insultated hammocks" in the past. Someone can probably dig up one of the old threads.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    What about a double layer 1.1oz hammock with down pocket sewn to the outer layer, negating the possible weakening of fabric?
    The upside is that with no baffles, commercial manufacturing should be easy!
    If you'll look on pages 16 & 17 of my gallery, you'll see my first attempt at a down insulated hammock.
    It failed were I had sewn across the hammock, but several things probably helped it to fail on it's maiden vogue... like the strait row of stitching, w/ to many holes per inch, or even the fabric itself (from the dollar bin).

But I soon decided I should try another using something along the lines of your idea quoted above. Unfortunately, I have never gotten around to it
    I believe there's a drawing of the version two plan on page 16.
    BTW, it does have baffles & they overlap. Reason being that w/ one big pocket of down, I'm thinking it will settle to much, leaving little insulation on the sides. But Jeff didn't seam to have an issue w/ that. He & his son have both used his on winter trips w/ great success.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good idea - depends on how many hammocks you want.

For those that believe that you cannot have too many hammocks, this is probably a good excuse to have another.

I believe in the modular approach, since I want 1 hammock only.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    I, too, am surprised that it works well without baffles. What prevents the down from shifting to the bottom and leaving you cold along the sides?

I also wouldn't be surprised to see more set-ups like this, although I personally wouldn't buy/make one. I just really don't see any benefit to this set-up unless you're arguing that you can lose one layer of fabric (underside of the hammock/top side of quilt) and the UQ suspension. I'm really not that much of gram weenie to care that much. Plus, I like the modular concept too much.

And what about trying out new gear? How could you ever try out a cattails UQ with this thing already sewn into the hammock? :P

However, if you're going for a super UL set-up and/or you plan on using such a hammock in a limited temperature range, then this might certainly be of interest to you. Oh, and people like Cannibal who collect one of each hammock ever created.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It may not be as limited in temp range as you would think. It would only be for cold weather of course, but it may have a fairly surprising comfort range by adjusting other insulation, such as clothing & top quilt.
    Think about sleeping on a bed. You always have the same thickness below. You adjust top insulation.

Not saying this is the best approach, just another option. One advantage is getting maximum benefit from your bottom insulation because it's fully attached w/ no air leaks gaps.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Just to comment on them: I had a quick jump into one of Wentworths down hammocks and the down stayed put real well. the area of coverage was very central and lower around the sides once you get in and get moved and settled. Some baffles would definitly add some coolness to it. But its pretty darn cool already.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    and on the one Jeff made w/ no baffles, I think the key is that he got the widths right (outer layer slightly wider than the hammock it's self) leaving about the right amount of "pocket".
    The down will shift some what, but if the "pocket" is only so big & there is enough down, it can only settle so much.
    And when it did settle to much to the bottom, Jeff would just reach out & pat the bottom, fluffing down back up into the sides.
    It seamed to be working pretty good for him.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast