Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Rocky Mt. NoSn
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    It may not be as limited in temp range as you would think. It would only be for cold weather of course, but it may have a fairly surprising comfort range by adjusting other insulation, such as clothing & top quilt.
    Think about sleeping on a bed. You always have the same thickness below. You adjust top insulation.

Not saying this is the best approach, just another option. One advantage is getting maximum benefit from your bottom insulation because it's fully attached w/ no air leaks gaps.
    I like the idea. I have recently been trying a JRB underquilt and have been frustrated by air gaps and cold air blowing in with light wind. Your design would save quite a bit of weight without the extra nylon, baffling, suspension, and loops and snaps that typically accompany an underquilt.

Furthermore, just as "too much" padding on the ground does not make you hot (because hot air rises...), I don't think that "too thick" of an underquilt would make you too warm if used in higher temperatures.
    See my PCT planning blog at budgetPCT.blogspot.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Furthermore, just as "too much" padding on the ground does not make you hot (because hot air rises...), I don't think that "too thick" of an underquilt would make you too warm if used in higher temperatures.
    Oh yes it does!
    I have been known to accidently grab my Winter Yeti when I meant to grab my 3-Season Yeti. There is a big difference, at least to me. I couldn't vent the Winter Yeti enough to matter and ended-up pushing it aside. Then I got cool, then I got hot, then I got cool, etc.

To much UQ can make a miserable weekend.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Oh yes it does!
    I have been known to accidently grab my Winter Yeti when I meant to grab my 3-Season Yeti. There is a big difference, at least to me. I couldn't vent the Winter Yeti enough to matter and ended-up pushing it aside. Then I got cool, then I got hot, then I got cool, etc.

And to add to this...What about just sitting during the day? Anyone bring an UQ with them as night temps where low but day temps high? I have and for sure during the day you want that UQ as far away as possible when just loafing or having some lunch. So I am going to agree with Cannibal....too much UQ can make for a hot nap, even if you have nothing above you (Bug Net/Tarp/TQ).

P.S. Sweet design for sure. Wish I had the patience and talent to deal with Down

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

...says the human furnace. I wouldn't mind a thick underquilt 90% of the time, but I'm not sure I want to haul around more insulation than I need.

Regarding the baffles and hesitation to sew through the hammock body, has anyone done any experiments with adhesives (either glue or tape) that might be able to hold a baffle in place? I'm sure a lot of adhesives that are strong enough might eat into the nylon, but there's probably a magic chemical out there that would hold, not make the hammock stiff, and not disintegrate the fabric.

Alternatively, I can envision a Climashield hammock without anything sewn through the hammock body; it would just need a few adjustable slings running from side to side to prevent it from being too saggy.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    ...says the human furnace.
    Yep! That's me.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Regarding the baffles and hesitation to sew through the hammock body, has anyone done any experiments with adhesives (either glue or tape) that might be able to hold a baffle in place? I'm sure a lot of adhesives that are strong enough might eat into the nylon, but there's probably a magic chemical out there that would hold, not make the hammock stiff, and not disintegrate the fabric.
    Warbonnetguy uses some sail tape that I bet would work. He used it to patch a small pin hole in my ElDorado before I left with it on the AT hike. The hole was right in the middle of the hammock and saw plenty of stress. I never felt it and it's still going strong many moons later. I bet that stuff would work.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Ah this thread is still alive....
    Will try not to discuss things relating to hammocks that have been discussed before in years past....

I don't have a problem sitting in the insulated hammock during the day. I'm normally walking during the day. I only sleep at night.

I remember someone suggesting glue for the baffles and pockets previously. If the glue didn't deteriorate the hammock fabric, this sounds like a brilliant idea.
    If the stretch of the hammock body is an issue, what about "pre-stretching it"? sleeping in the hammock for a few weeks (or using your current DIY hammock) then gluing the baffles on? That way the pocket wouldn't have to stretch with the material.

Imagine a hammock with built in snugfit.... perfect winter hammock.

It seems that there is some resistance to the idea. Maybe just resistance to chance. But if the cluey guys from JRB, Speer, Warbonnet and the rest hadn't kept the innovation running, we'd all still be on blue foam.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think it was Garlington who built a "bag-O-Feathers" at one time. It was basically a bag full of down, with no baffles, that he suspended under the hammock. Like others have stated it proly takes a little more TLC, but can be done.

You can see it here about two thirds of the way down the page:
    Garlington Hammock Pages
    Last edited by Rat; 10-28-2009 at 10:52. Reason: add link
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    It sounds to me that a karo box design, with baffles glued to the hammock and sewn to the undercover might work...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11524

I've successfully used Dap weldwood contact cement to hold nylon fabrics together. This might make the hammock stiff at the glue joints, so maybe small dime-sized attach points would minimize that effect... The downside I've found that you can tear the two pieces apart quite readily, but pulling on the whole seam at once is quite strong. If the baffles were under very little stress, this might work...

Anybody had success gluing fabrics?

Here's my final thought: Design the baffles so they're loose, and the bottom fabric would hold the weight of the down. Use small, dime sized glue points to attach the baffles to the hammock body, but sew them to the outer shell. By using the karo design, you can move the down around when you setup camp, and not have to worry about it settling. but still give you the flexibility to move it where you want it...

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm struggling to see the advantage of this type of set-up?
    Save weight? You would lose...one shell, baffles and suspension for the UQ...4-5 oz max (less for 2/3 or less quilt).
    Seriously, am I missing something?
    <confused in Indy>
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast