Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling

Utah - Arches or Canyonlands - Mid Sept - Need Advice

My girlfriend and I are headed out to UT to visit some friends, we are planning to visit a few national parks while we are out there and we think it would be nice to spend a night in Arches or Canyonlands. I am looking for information from those that have camped there, specifically in hammocks. Are there any special requirements that we should look into before we get out there (permits and such) or will we be good to go and just string up in the campgrounds? Do they allow back country camping, are there trees or should I bring some rock anchors? We won't be backpacking since we don't have the capacity to take our packs out with us but we have enough room for the hammocks and quilts. Thanks!

~HEH

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are some scrub trees along the river in some of the campgrounds closer to Moab, but in the parks that only likely options are shade shelters + vehicle. Arches sits up on a plato above the river by several hundred feet and there are not a lot of trees....some here and there but by no means a forest. Canyon lands is even more sparse, the only trees I remember are in the bottoms of the washes which you really do not want to camp in...flash flood is a real danger. Portable stands would be the best bet in the parks but it sounds like your flying out so probably not a real option. Being national parks I don't think the rangers would take to well to using rock anchors to hang hammocks. I would not count on hanging in the parks but you could get creative at some of the campgrounds down river and pul off a couple hammocks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Oak Grove hike in (sites 5-7 and about a 20ft 'hike') and Hal Canyon have trees on their camp sites. We were tent camping in Oak Grove on our honeymoon but pitched our DN without issue right next to it. All of the BLM sites on Hwy 128 are first come first served but if you get there in the early afternoon you should be able to snag one.

You can possibly find 2 trees to suit you at Granstaff but it doesn't have nearly the cover of Oak Grove.

Images
    I take my tent what I visit Utah. I do have the hammock kit in the truck just in case but I never get my hopes up YMMV.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Also, if you don't already have a reservation, you may have trouble getting a site in the parks anyways-- should probably check their web site for availability quickly. (I've never done Canyonlands, so I'm not 100% sure if it's all reservation or not, but I believe Arches in-park campground is reservation only). As has been mentioned, though, there are other places around Moab you may be able to camp.

Whether you hang or not, enjoy the parks-- some great landscapes there!

(Just got into hanging this year, so I haven't been to Arches to even look for solutions lately.)

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Like stated before the main park areas are pretty hard to hang in. Arches is not that big and back country isn't very back there. A marathoner cuold do most of Arches in a day. Creativity would be required with extra rope if you don't have stands.

Canyonlands about the same in island in the sky section. The needles and maze sections are much more remote. Plenty of backcountry with more options. Avoid being below the highwater mark no matter the season and weather. In slot canyons high water mark is not always assertainable. Camping in the parks are more restricted but the backcountry gives you options. Creativity in the desert really counts. I've managed to tie off over boulders and around trees and boulders anchoring in weird ways to make it work. Look up one tree options using a pole and extra line. The other thing that will give you problems is staking in sand. Natural anchor points tend to work best. Again creativity is key. Extra rope and nonpermanent climbing gear can come in handy. If it leaves no evidence that it was there you will be ok with it.

Whatever happens don't be deterred from making the trip it will be well worth it. Do some map and satellite studies plan ahead where you think hanging options exist and go for it. I seem to almost always find a way to hang when I go down that way. Some of my creative hanging techniques and troubles are mentioned in my trip report riding the storm out at goblin valley. If not helpful it will likely be entertaining.

Good luck take some great pictures and have fun
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    That is about what I expected. I really appreciate the info from everyone. We are flying out and just spending a couple days in the parks before we head back up to SLC to hang out with some friends. We may not be able to camp but we are certainly going to get in a few days of day hikes in Arches, Canyonlands, and Moab.

~HEH

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    You might also try Dead Horse Point. It's a state park with wonderful hikes & vistas. Same road as Canyonlands, but a different turnoff. The campsites have covered tables that might work for hammocks????? Getting a campsite at DHP or any of the parks will be tough, as most are reserved in advance.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    You might also try Dead Horse Point. It's a state park with wonderful hikes & vistas. Same road as Canyonlands, but a different turnoff. The campsites have covered tables that might work for hammocks????? Getting a campsite at DHP or any of the parks will be tough, as most are reserved in advance.
    I see you are in Sandy, that is actually our ultimate destination. We are flying in for a friends surprise birthday party and taking advantage of being out there anyways to get some hikes in.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Outside Moab Manti-La Sal national forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/manti...73218&actid=29

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast