Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles

Sleeping bag for UQ

I wanted to report on a configuration I used last weekend with some success. Although the weight and bulk of the system may be limiting, it was functional and I thought I'd toss it out there for those looking for options using gear they already have.

I spent last weekend trying to get through a 30 mile hike in NH. The weather was against us (cold rain the first day, sub 20* weather at altitude with 70 mph gusts, low visability, frozen rain and snow) but I got a lot of "on the job" experience with the hammock.

For my hammock setup, I took 2 sleeping bags (0* for tq and 20* uq) my hh ultralight, and supershelter. I setup the hammock and ss as usual (with SB over the ocf pad) but used the 20* bag as an uq; below the ocf pad but in the UC. I tied garda hitches to each end of the 20* bag and sent them through the UC and TC and attached them with prussics to the suspension lines. Before I got in the hammock, I made sure the bag was spread out, got in and used my 0* inside.

I have to say I was warm and cozy all night in 20* temps and it was quite blustery to say the least (the gusts rocked me into a deeper sleep all night). I wore a heavy pair of hiking socks, polypro thermals, down vest, shell, and skull cap.

Again, this setup meant carrying 2 bags which made my pack heavier and bigger than I would have liked. I wanted to make sure I was covered in case of unexpected weather (it was suppossed to be clear and seasonal all weekend; you never know what you're going to get in the high country of NH) so I took the extra bag. I am certainly looking for a lighter, smaller alternative to this setup, that won't break the bank, but I thought I'd relate the experience so others in my situation can go ahead and hang with the gear they have.

Disclaimer: I tryed this setup in my back yard a couple nights before I left so I had an idea of it's potential. I recommend that anyone taking this advice, or any advice on this site, to do the same. Everyon'es comfort levels are different and the least surprises in the field the better.

Cheers

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

Alternative to sleeping bag UQ

You might try using a Survival Tube instead of a sleeping bag. It weighs about a pound....it reflects most of your heat back to you...and it only costs about $35. I don't know why more hammockers don't use it....except maybe they all like to sew...or something.

P.S. I added a 2nd tube to go on top when it gets really cold. I just clip the two together to create a "cocoon". Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    BoP- Do you have a link or pic? Sounds like a great option. Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

survival tube UQ

teletrekker: you can check out my gallery for some pictures. Since I got the zipper mod on my HH, I now clip the entry area shut from the inside (using the same little green clips). Here is some info from another post that I made:

$35 underquilt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been using a survival tube (opened up so it looks like a blanket) as my underquilt for the past 6 months. It's only $35, it reflects most of my body heat back to me, it weighs about a pound, is easy to set up and it packs down to to the size of a small baseball mitt. I add a 2nd tube as an overcover when the temperature drops below 55 (that's another $35 investment....not bad for a cocoon that actually keeps you warm, repels water & wind.....and doesn't require any sewing. I've posted some pictures in my gallery. Note: this is the green survival tube BPS-08 (not the survival bag) available from www.ps-med.com. Further info is at www.Blizzardsurvival.com.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    Bird the survival tube idea is interesting but I have a couple of questions. Assuming the tube is not breathable, it must get pretty steamy in there. Is the slit with velcro effectively venting your cocoon? What's the purpose of the bottle/tube?

I use a piece of reflectix between the two layers of my HH and that does help to keep me warm on a cool night. Maybe the reflective material could be incorporated into a more traditional UQ for a more heat efficient setup.

sky

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Another question I have is can the thing be cut down to a more traditional underquilt size, and maybe be used in conjunction with a nice UQ to go to the more extremes?

I can see a lot of potential in something like that as long as condensation doesn't become a huge issue.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

survival tube UQ

skyclad: The tube material is not breathable. However, when the cocoon is in place, there are 3 "windows" that allow condensation to escape. At each end, part of the mosquito netting (perhaps 4" at each end) is not covered by the cocoon. Also, the slit above me can be closed or opened as much as I want, and this "window" also allows condensation to escape. As a result, it's easy for me to control the inside temperature....and I've never had a drop of moisture inside the hammock.

The bottle is a means of relieving yourself late at night without having to leave your hammock (this is for lazy hammockers like me).

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

survival tube

wirerat123: The survival tube was created to save people who are suffering from hypothermia. I've just adapted it to help keep me warm in the California / Nevada border area. My "windows" release all condensation. However, this is California. I imagine that, where you live, humidity would be much more of a problem. All I know is that the cocoon that I use works fine in this part of the country.

• + New Posts