Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I tried a large X-Therm pad in my RR this year and found that I really enjoy the lay it provides. Take the middle spreader bar out of the head end and you're good to go. Side sleep, fetal, back - it's all good. I really appreciate that, with the pad, my ankles aren't pushed together and are free to flop around wherever. Only con is having to blow the dang thing up on longer multi-day trips, but for one to two nighters, I leave the UQ at home.

Hammock
    BMBH/WB Traveler
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    Down under&top
    Quote Originally Posted by tramos55 View Post
    I tried a large X-Therm pad in my RR this year and found that I really enjoy the lay it provides. Only con is having to blow the dang thing up on longer multi-day trips, but for one to two nighters, I leave the UQ at home.
    http://themillair.com/
    I bought 2 of these a number of years ago & they're still with me although I don't use it that often I still haven't had to go to my back-up. Takes about 2-4 minutes to fill my xtra lrg insulated BA mat & doesn't put any condensation into the air as happens with lung power. Cheap, lightweight, packs small & has no moving parts or mechanics to fail.
    Last edited by fagan; 08-17-2015 at 10:38.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I have the BMBH UL and the WBRR. I have significant shoulder squeeze when I don't use an extra wide pad. Also, with the pad, it's easier to sleep on your side.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fagan View Post
    I'm outta place here as I've never laid in a WBRR but I have owned a BMBH for many years & wanted to address the repeated comment regarding the shoulder squeeze. I'm a stocky man with very wide shoulders. I also have a chronic bad back (even after surgery) & severe nerve issues due to it.

When I first moved to the BMBH I had the shoulder squeeze. It was alleviated using a BA air mat but it wasn't 'till one of the JrB boys informed me on how to position myself properly in the hammock that it disappeared. I also love the higher sides, yes it does restrict the view, but I use them to rest my knee of the bent leg laying on my side or more often 1/4 side turn. It also gives back support when sitting in it. I also like the higher sides in cold weather as it brings the underquilt up around you. This is not a knock on the WBRR. I love my WBT & still take naps in it. Brandon makes excellent products. Everyone's unique.
    Yep. I own the 2 different JRBs and a WBRR. I like them all with some pros and cons for each. I also had the shoulder squeeze thing back in 07 or whenever it was I got the original. (6/1", 215) But somehow I got it all figured out and it is simply not an issue comfort wise for me. It is there, a lack of shoulder room, but is not uncomfortable at all. Plus, if I position myself just right, it is not even there. It has deep sides and a poor view unless I am scooted up on the end cap, but I am usually just sleeping anyway, it is night time when I get in, so I don't mind that too much. OTOH, the deep sides seem to help my TQ funnel down on top of me without opening up on the edges, so I seem to have an easier time avoiding drafts. Plus, the most common position I end up in is on my side, legs straight or slightly fetal, and I lean back into those deep sides. This is the only hammock I do this in, and I really like it. BTW, in any side position from just barely scooted to the side to full on side or almost stomach sleeping, there are no shoulder squeeze issues.

The JRB UL is 4" less deep than the original, so the view is better and there is less shoulder squeeze. It still has enough side depth that I can lean back with confidence, but I still prefer the original for this position. Both of these hammocks are 2 or 3 feet shorter in the suspension than the WBRR, but have about the same head to foot room.

The WBRR has less depth than either JRB, and thus has the best view. It also has far more shoulder room than either JRB, as it's spreader bars are maybe 8 or 10" wider. So that gives great shoulder room but also way more bar to try and contact your tarp. Also, I finally gained confidence side sleeping in the WBRR without worrying about rolling out of it. But, it does not compare to the JRB for being able to lean my back into those sides.

So, pros and cons. I think I prefer the JRBs for side sleepig and the WBRR for flat on my back, but I can do fine with any of them in any position. I have not yet winter camped with my WBRR, so I don't know if I will notice less ability to keep my TQ in place and with no drafts along the sides. But, more tha once in the woods, the extra length of the WBRR has proven to be a no go with the trees I wanted to hang from, not enough distance between the trees. But of course, if I look a bit more I can always find the right trees.

So, one day I prefer one of these hammocks and another day i prefer the other. That should help you a lot!

Hammock
    DD
    Tarp
    Gorilla fortress,
    Insulation
    down
    Shug, who makes your "Green Bean " Hammock ???

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt hook View Post
    Shug, who makes your "Green Bean " Hammock ???
    Do you mean who made the former hammock known as Green Bean, or the one in the pic in this thread? Big difference. One in the pic is an Amok.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12