Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

How do these crazy things work - MLD spinn asym tarp

Hi everyone!

I have a piece of gear that I bought a few years ago and am dusting off and getting ready to use. It is a tarp made by MLD that they no longer make. They now have a cuben version of it with a variety of differences. My tarp is called the MLD Spinn Asym tarp. I weigh it at 6.7 ounces, which is pretty attractive (and why I am trying to learn how to use it in lieu of the 21 ounce tarp I have been using regularly.)

Anyway, it has these strange black plastic gadgets at the four corners. I have invented a variety of ways to attach cords to them, but I am wondering if anyone knows about these things and how they are actually supposed to be used? If people are totally confused and ask, I can post a photo. They look like small black butterflies.

Also I am curious if anyone has experiences with this tarp. It is kind of a lopsided rectangle and looks pretty meager to me. It did fine this past weekend with just a tiny drizzle gently falling, and I'll bet it would be fine for any amount of rain coming straight down, but I am skeptical how it will be with wind and rain. Another photo may well be required here.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Here is a photo of my rig set up from this past weekend. 6000 foot elevation in the Dragoon Mountains in SE Arizona.
    A nice pair of alligator junipers offered to hold up my bed.

tarp.jpg

Note that this is a pretty sloppy initial setup. I pulled the hammock tighter before sleeping in it (and had a great night). If I was expecting serious rain (I wasn't), I would consider rigging the tarp closer to the hammock.
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 08-13-2015 at 21:47. Reason: Explain sloppy setup

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Yeah!! That's them -- and you are just in time to save me taking a photo.

So where is the owners manual for these things. How duz a guy uze dem ??

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

The above site offers to sell them to me for 75 cents, and tells me that "they work just like a ladder lock", whatever that is.
    I suppose that would be helpful if you knew what a ladder lock was and how to use it.

There is a suggestive photo that hints at what I can go experiment with right now.

This place is pretty cool though, they sell a lot of interesting stuff (like 0.70 ounce ripstop) that a
    DIY person could get mighty interested in.
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 08-11-2015 at 19:03. Reason: Make things better

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    They work just like a belt buckle. Thread 3mm cord up though the opening closer to the tarp then back down through the forward opening. The first side runs out to the stake the forward side tensions it. Lift up on the front outer edge to release the tension.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    They work just like a belt buckle. Thread 3mm cord up though the opening closer to the tarp then back down through the forward opening. The first side runs out to the stake the forward side tensions it. Lift up on the front outer edge to release the tension.
    Excellent, thanks. Simple once you know what the idea is -- I just fiddled with it and it seems pretty slick. Works good with 3mm shock cord and even with some bright yellow parachute cord I have.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Also I am curious if anyone has experiences with this tarp. It is kind of a lopsided rectangle and looks pretty meager to me. It did fine this past weekend with just a tiny drizzle gently falling, and I'll bet it would be fine for any amount of rain coming straight down, but I am skeptical how it will be with wind and rain. Another photo may well be required here.
    No experience with this particular tarp, but I had to use a diamond tarp as an interim solution for a couple of weeks. They work, but in your picture, you have it hung pretty high. The closer the tarp is to the hammock, the better it protects you from the rain. I hung mine so that it touched the unloaded hammock.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    With a smaller tarp site selection becomes more important too. It has been a while, but a ways back tiny tarps for hammocks were the norm (at least more common than at present). As hammock camping gained popularity many needed larger tarps , I believe, due to hanging in the typical tent campsites which are often more exposed. Off the beaten path, a small tarp is great in the hands of an experienced user. Sometimes even beneficial as in the deep woods the large openings are not as common.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Aren't ladderlocks the things on a two fly ladder that keep the ladder from collapsing once the ladder is set up?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast