Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

I finally have gotten around to signing up to the forum, followed it like a hawk for a few months and gotten a lot of good ideas. I've started seriously hammocking this year, having worked as an outdoor instructor in the past for about 5 years and always thinking they were a bad idea. Now I've bought 2 and made 4 since last year, and have lots of ideas for things I'd like to make up. DIY is it for me. I did my first tentative sewing project back in January, and just yesterday realized that I've now burned over 2400 yds of black thread alone...I never would have guessed but it seems that one thing leads to another!

All of this for me is leading up to a 9 or 10 day trip I am planning at the end of summer to hike the Cohos trail in NH, plus some extra, solo with a hammock and as much gear as possible that I have made. Getting ready for this has been an exciting process so far. I haven't done a personal trip this long ever, always with students.

Anyways, the point of this post is just to introduce myself to the forum and also to say that I am going to Traildays with a friend (he's never hammocked so I made him his own setup for the trip) and hope that I will bump into some of you down there. We'll be driving thru the nite on Thur. and around town Fri thru Sun, hoping to maybe camp a nite or two up in the mountains a bit ( I spent a summer leading an SCA crew on the VA Highlands Horse Trail 10 yrs ago and would like to see how it all still looks). Gonna be a good weekend.

Glad I finally joined!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    smartcarpie... we're glad you finally joined the group too<g>.
    i'll be helping ed speer w/ his hammock stand at trail days. it'll be joined w/ jacks are better & antigravity gear so should be easy to spot.
    we'll look forward to seeing you there. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Glad you joined too smartcarpie. Hope you have fun at TD. What made you think hammocks were a bad idea back then? Just curious.

Images
    See you at TD.

DIY is contagous. I now have a complete DIY hammock setup. My goal sometime is to get a complete DIY hiking kit.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Welcome! Man I've been here weeks and havent done a DIY project yet. I gotta catch up! Maybe Ill do a MacCat for my house! Im taking it off my rent though!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Welcome to the forum. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Welcome, sounds like you have been busy. Where do you get your material?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome to the hanging crowd!!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smartcarpie View Post
    I finally have gotten around to signing up to the forum, followed it like a hawk for a few months and gotten a lot of good ideas. I've started seriously hammocking this year, having worked as an outdoor instructor in the past for about 5 years and always thinking they were a bad idea. Now I've bought 2 and made 4 since last year, and have lots of ideas for things I'd like to make up. DIY is it for me. I did my first tentative sewing project back in January, and just yesterday realized that I've now burned over 2400 yds of black thread alone...I never would have guessed but it seems that one thing leads to another!

All of this for me is leading up to a 9 or 10 day trip I am planning at the end of summer to hike the Cohos trail in NH, plus some extra, solo with a hammock and as much gear as possible that I have made. Getting ready for this has been an exciting process so far. I haven't done a personal trip this long ever, always with students.

Anyways, the point of this post is just to introduce myself to the forum and also to say that I am going to Traildays with a friend (he's never hammocked so I made him his own setup for the trip) and hope that I will bump into some of you down there. We'll be driving thru the nite on Thur. and around town Fri thru Sun, hoping to maybe camp a nite or two up in the mountains a bit ( I spent a summer leading an SCA crew on the VA Highlands Horse Trail 10 yrs ago and would like to see how it all still looks). Gonna be a good weekend.

Glad I finally joined!
    Welcome to the hanging gang....

Please stop by the Jacks R Better booth and say hello... free candy and stuff pads , while they last.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast