Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this

WinterTarp, hammock and peapod questions

What knot would you recommend when the tree diameter is > 1 meter (or maybe it's 1.5), and the webbing isn't long enough to go around the tree twice for Ed's recommended 4-knot loop or similar?

As for the (winter) tarp, the included guidelines are 1-2 meters, just about enough to be possible to tie around the trees at all. If I tie it that way the trees have to be as close together as the length of the tarp and then there's barely room for the hammock. :P
    So I'm guessing that's not how to do it. Enlighten me!

PeaPod: How do you make it tight enough at the ends? Seems to be leaking no matter how hard I pull the strings. Should I then use those strings to fix it to the hammock webbing so it can't move up and down, or leave it like that?

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    What knot would you recommend when the tree diameter is > 1 meter (or maybe it's 1.5), and the webbing isn't long enough to go around the tree twice for Ed's recommended 4-knot loop or similar?

As for the (winter) tarp, the included guidelines are 1-2 meters, just about enough to be possible to tie around the trees at all. If I tie it that way the trees have to be as close together as the length of the tarp and then there's barely room for the hammock. :P
    So I'm guessing that's not how to do it. Enlighten me!

PeaPod: How do you make it tight enough at the ends? Seems to be leaking no matter how hard I pull the strings. Should I then use those strings to fix it to the hammock webbing so it can't move up and down, or leave it like that?
    I didnt like the guylines speers sent either. I felt they were too short mainly on the ridgeline. I replaced them with some niteline from REI and 9 ft on each end has been enough to hang on large trees. Its a learning process and the tarp set up can be somewhat challenging. try a few designs in teh back yard.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    I'm a nomad, I don't have a backyard...

I'll bring something to extend them with tonight.
    Have to search the forum for hammock suspension techniques...

Images
    Yep, if all you have is huge trees, or far apart trees or both, you'll just have to add some more tarp line. Whatever it takes.

The hammock is tougher. Can you get some more webbing? Either with a loop on each end or tie one in with a bowline. Then use that to make a separate tree hugger, and attache your Speer webbing to that by running it through the hugger loops ( or better yet through a biner), then do your Speer lashing as directed. Or tie a loop(bowline) in your Speer webbing, attache a biner, extend it all with webbing or rope from biner to tree. ( You don't have to have a biner, but it is nice and probably decreases wear on the lines)

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Thanks BillyBob, will steal the suspension system from my old hammock and do like you said. It has something close to a biner that I cut from a piece of aluminium.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I just do a single wrap if the trees are huge. Works fine with todays modern techno lines.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    Yeah it seemed to work the last two nights, just worried about wearing them out faster.
    Now I'm mainly wondering how to attach the peapod.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidal View Post
    Yeah it seemed to work the last two nights, just worried about wearing them out faster.
    Now I'm mainly wondering how to attach the peapod.

With a Speer hammock, right? Don't know if you have seen this:
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/...aPodSystem.htm

This is dirt simple but not easy to put into words. OK, facing the foot end of hammock and pod, I 1st make sure the Velcro is well closed with as much hook/loop Velcro surface area as possible in contact. Then I
    1:cinch the cords tight with the toggles on both sides( see pic#1 below) and then
    2:start a "shoelace" like knot, just the first part of the knot and cinch the heck out of it then
    3:take the cord around the hammock and repeat step 2 then
    4: loop remaining cord over hammock end knot and do a shoelace knot, then hitch the shoelace loops together the way you do your shoes when you want to make sure they don't come untied.

I tried to take some pics, hard to show the knots with only my hands to hold the camera and the knots, hope it helps. The pics at the end are trying to show the end with me in the hammock. Plus the last pic is the end knot after I had been in the hammock several times. Though it stayed closed, I don't think it is a big deal if it opens a little, especially if you are using a top quilt. If not, then if ou have any extra clothing (socks, etc) you can just stuff it in the end opening.

A few PeaPod tips:
    1: Don't have the pod TOO tight against the bottom of the hammock before you get in. The hammock will sag MORE than the pod and you will crush the loft. I usually have at least 3 - 6 more inches of sag in the pod than the hammock, as shown in the 2nd picture from bottom left, pic #7. Believe it or not, even with that huge looking gap, after I got in the pod was just barely touching the hammock bottom! After you are in, feel under the hammock. Try to have the pod just barely touching the hammock, or at least pretty close. But I would err more on the loose side than tight. Adjust by putting the end toggles either closer or further from the hammock end knot.
    2: If it is not too tight, but you still don't have enough loft below your kidey and butt area, get out and push some bottom layer down away from the head and towards the low point. This can make a big difference, it's where you need it most.
    3: Best way to deal with the Velcro is to grab each side of the Pod and pull it real tight towards your head. Then just let the Velcro barely touch and it will catch pretty good. Then reach down with your hands and squeeze it all tighter together. Learn to use your knees and toes for the part you can't reach with your hands.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-18-2009 at 13:58.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I agree regarding hanging the peapod loosely. I don't even have it touching the bottom of the hammock and have never felt cold underneath. I think it's because, unlike underquilts, the pod is fully sealed so there's no air leaks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I agree regarding hanging the peapod loosely. I don't even have it touching the bottom of the hammock and have never felt cold underneath. I think it's because, unlike underquilts, the pod is fully sealed so there's no air leaks.
    I think you are right. It is more difficult for cold air to settle down there below your back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast