Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels

New xlc first nite

Hey all,l
    last nite was my first in the xlc dl 1.7 made with my head to the other end I just got day before yesterday.I went to the back yard to try it in the edge of my woods,couldnt go too far cause had to have power for my cpap so I cleared a spot to hang and gave it a try.Overall pretty good,built a small fire to watch while I layed there.I got a green pad from wall mart and a fleece blanket figuring that would do for first try.After getting in I relised my first mistake,the fire,way too hot,made me sweat,more so with the bug net but I like watching it.Next problem was the pad,it was too far to the back side of the pocket so I got out and moved it about 10 times and figured out it aint wide enough to not feel the edges...easy fix.when it finally cooled off and I sleep for a little while till the cat whose name is puppy dog found me and wanted in,ran him off and went back to sleep then woke to a cold shoulder and its 71 but its not on pad,everything on pad is ok and after tucking blanket behind shoulder went back to sleep till puppy dog woke me bout 6.Wider pad,no fire,no cat and Ill be good to go!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I don't know if I'd hang my hammock up close enough to any fire where I could feel the heat from the hammock...even if you don't light the hammock on fire, you're bound to get sparks shooting off and burning small holes into your hammock. Keep the hammock away from the fire!

That aside, congrats on your new hammock! I love my XLC. I haven't tried a pad with mine, so I can't really give you advice on that. Underquilts are the way to go for me. No fiddling with them when they move underneath you. I only ever give it a small adjustment at the start of the night to make sure it's on my shoulder and I'm good to go for the night. And ya, definitely don't let your cat near the hammock unless it's declawed haha.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by crappieyaker View Post
    I sleep for a little while till the cat whose name is puppy dog found me and wanted in
    Cats are noisy little sods, they always want to check out anything new in their territory.

Good luck with the XLC, I'm intending to buy one myself soon.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    Glad to hear you like your new xlc. I also do some camping in the back yard but i live in town off a busy road, so i use ear plugs to drown out the noise of the trucks and also the neighborhood cat fights in the middle of the night. It really does make a difference, just make sure the ear plugs are comfy and soft like these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJUVKW/...I2GH8ZKGUK2HMB , for the most comfort through the night. Hope this helps you drown out the distractions in the future so you can get a good nights sleep.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Thanks for the replys guys,have now spent several nites in the xlc and like it better now than ever.mounted brackets to hang in the house today.I had my wife help me make a pluq and like it better than pad for shure.
    Does anyone just throw a blanket over the rigeline in winter instead of replacing bug net with a cover?looks to me like it would be a option that might help retain heat

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Enjoy your new hammock. I agree with the fire thing. You don't want small embers making holes. There is a pad available from gossamer gear that is kind of expensive, but much wider than typical pads. MUCH wider. I use a UQ but I imagine the gossamer gear pad would slide in the hammock fine and you wouldn't have to worry about readjusting.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Thanks for the replys guys,have now spent several nites in the xlc and like it better now than ever.mounted brackets to hang in the house today.I had my wife help me make a pluq and like it better than pad for shure.
    Does anyone just throw a blanket over the rigeline in winter instead of replacing bug net with a cover?looks to me like it would be a option that might help retain heat
    I think if you left the bug net on, as a means to provide support, that the blanket would work. I got the zip on cover and used it last winter a few times. I wanted the cover more for the wind than the actual air temp. Either option would work I would think. Good reason to get out into the woods and see what works!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I'll use a fleecy type blanket over the ridge line to help keep the cool breezes at bay and to keep the dew off...better the blanket soaks up the dew than my quilts. In the winter below freezing temps I will toss a 100% cotton painters tarp over to keep the blowing snow and breeze out yet the cotton still breathes enough to not be a giant snowball of condensation come morning.
    Don't expect a great deal of warmth though....instead investing in some Downy goodness quilts is very worthy for them cool/cold nights if your committed to this "passion"
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Hey all,after testing in my house with the air set on 68 I got relly cold and went to the bed bout 3am,part of this is the vent close to being under the hammock and part cause I'm a cold sleeper.The pluq didn't help much the next nite so I had the wife sew on some insulation in the form of a piece of blanketed material they had on sale at the fabric store with a camo face,thought it would be warm but nope it was very little difference if any.the next thing I'm trying tonite is the reflectix stuff,after trying it for a few min.it seems like it will be comfortable and I think itll block the air from the vent.I will let you know how it does.

How did it work out?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast