Hammock
    Clark NA Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Camo XL
    Insulation
    Army poncho liner

Thank you for your posts

I survived my first 27 degree night with a CNA, a synthetic comforter, two small fleece blankets and a liter of hot water on Oct 11 in Michigan.

It was HalloWeekend at Brighton State Recreation Area and we had set up late friday night in the rain, and as we were camping in the RV area the trees were scarce. The first night I stayed in the tent with my family and woke up with a wrenched neck for my effort. I stayed warm enough with just the comforter and one fleece blanket in my skivvies but I tossed and turned all night. Saturday morning I got up and went in search for two trees and found them about 45 feet away, down a hill and in a small pine grove. I plopped my two blankets into my clark and started the day.

When night fell and we were getting ready for bed my son took the opportunity to sleep with my sister's family in her camper, and after a little reassurance my wife joined them. When I was asked I said that i was going to sleep in my hammock. Jon (my Brother in law) predicted that I'd be back in an hour to get warm. So, after heating a liter of water, I stopped off at the tent to grab some extra clothes and noticed the extra blanket. Down at the hammock i loaded the two head pockets and the two bottom pockets (kidney) but I couldn't bring myself to remove either my sweatshirt nor pants so the center pockets stayed empty for which I paid all night.

Inside I placed the comforter down first, after which I climbed in and wrapped one fleece blanket around my feet and up to my waist. The second fleece covered me to my neck and I folded my comforter over top. The water bottle was alternated between my thighs and my belly.

I woke three times that night and at about 2 am I closed my climashield. My only complaint was that my back was cold above my empty pockets. It wasn't bad enough to keep me awake but I will never forget to fill all of my pockets.

The reason I didn't sleep in my bag is that it is a Snugpak Junglebag. While it is advertised to be viable to 7 C, even with my furnace, I think that it is an optimistic rating, and I had read on the forums that many had found that quilts were a better choice come winter. For clarification I did understand them to be under and top quilts, but I work with what I have on hand. I also learned about the hot water canteen on the forums, and for both I say thank you. Y'all kept me comfortable that night and I got to gloat in the morning for making it through the night.

As the 11th was my birthday (yea!) I now consider myself a Born Again Hammocker! Thank you again.

Fred
    I sleep in the trees.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rain Man

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Any time you can get through a 27 degree night and still be so positive about it, it's a good thing. congrats!! Especially with so little insulation. Those pockets really do add quite a bit.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Happy birthday....Looks like you are well on your way to full conversion.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts