Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vithar View Post
    About the tarp, I mean, how can ENO screw that up? I mean, really? its no good?
    They just don't have tarps that provide adequate coverage, in my opinion. The DryFly is more art than functionality, and at 10'6" L by 5'2" wide, I would avoid it. The ProFly is also very short in the width, 10'6" by 6'4" (I would get a minimum of 8.5' wide). You can buy the HH Hex on Amazon, which has an 11 ft. ridgeline and is 8.6 ft. wide. While it's heavy, it will provide decent coverage. Keep in mind that ENO's tarps are built for ENO hammocks (max. 9 ft. 4" long). As far as I know, all ENO tarps are 10.5 ft. long, whereas most of our cottage vendors sell 11 ft. long tarps (and 12 ft., for those so inclined). You will definitely miss the six inches of coverage if you get an 11 ft. tarp.

There is also the Kelty Noah 12 x 12 - plenty of coverage but not the tautest pitch. With this tarp you can make doors and never have to worry about blowing rain (which will probably absolutely soak you in the ENO Dryfly or Profly).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    They just don't have tarps that provide adequate coverage, in my opinion. The DryFly is more art than functionality, and at 10'6" L by 5'2" wide, I would avoid it. The ProFly is also very short in the width, 10'6" by 6'4" (I would get a minimum of 8.5' wide). You can buy the HH Hex on Amazon, which has an 11 ft. ridgeline and is 8.6 ft. wide. While it's heavy, it will provide decent coverage. Keep in mind that ENO's tarps are built for ENO hammocks (max. 9 ft. 4" long). As far as I know, all ENO tarps are 10.5 ft. long, whereas most of our cottage vendors sell 11 ft. long tarps (and 12 ft., for those so inclined). You will definitely miss the six inches of coverage if you get an 11 ft. tarp.

There is also the Kelty Noah 12 x 12 - plenty of coverage but not the tautest pitch. With this tarp you can make doors and never have to worry about blowing rain (which will probably absolutely soak you in the ENO Dryfly or Profly).
    And SilvrSurfr is just talking about the low budget tarps. There are tons of options available for a little more money but those mentioned here will definitely work on a budget.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There is the ENO ProFly XL - 13 ft. long by 9'2" wide. It's got sufficient coverage, but I can't get my head around spending $99.95 on that tarp when you could have a silnylon Warbonnet Superfly (the most popular tarp on HF) for $140. There are also plenty of cottage vendor silnylon tarps in the $100 price range that will be better bargains.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    There are lots of 10.5 ft hammocks on amazon but I agree, get a decent 11ft if your serious. If not just consider Amazon prime as a demo service.

The grand trunk and hammock bliss, silishape all appear decent. Test them all, pick the most comfortable, repeat with bugnets.

Tarp choice is very limited. Lots of medium quality tarps. If you were going to to buy just one thing from a cottage vendor go tarp first.

Demo service is probably the best description on my use of prime. Just to bad (for me) the quality vendors aren't there.

Demo service is probably the best description on my use of prime. Just to bad (for me) the quality vendors aren't there.
    Demo service is appealing, but just not something I do, as it's a bit dubious to me, ethically speaking. And I certainly wouldn't do it to cottage vendors -- however, I know many cottage vendors would happily refund you if you're not satisfied.

For a good demo service, I'd trek out to a local group hang!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Here's a good cheap way to visualize it: tie a long piece of string between two anchor points (trees, a fencepost, part of your deck, whatever). Get two locking tape measures, and lock them out at 2' 7". Stand (or sit) under the string, facing one of the anchor points. Take a tape measure in each hand, and hook the end of the tape to the string, then hold your hands out at so the tape is at about the same angle you'd use for a tarp. That's how much coverage you'd get from an ENO tarp. Imagine that coverage in a driving storm. How dry do you think you'd be?

Now lengthen the tape measures to 4' 11" each and repeat the exercise. That's how much coverage you'd get from a tarp like the Superfly or UGQ's Winter Dream. Again, imagine yourself in a driving storm. See the difference?

I have the Yukon our friend Weaze from big mo mentioned as well as several others from Yukon and have no problem with any of them, I also have a skeeter beater pro which is my favorite hammock and a war bonnet ridge runner. the bug net aint no big thing to rig, a couple of minutes extra. I was going to suggest you try the skeeter beater, it is available from amazon but at 6' 3 " it may or may not work out for you. if you are hung up on amazon and there is just no way around it I would go with the skeeter beater over the other I saw there.

one thing I will mention is that at 5' 6" a 10 foot hammock is as short as I have been able to sleep in and get fully rested. I think it was SlvrSrfr that said that he thought the shorter hammock are limited to lounging, I agree, even my 7 and 9 year old grandsons prefer longer hammocks and the bigger one is well under 5' tall.

good luck and please let us know how it turns out, I don't think you will miss the ground.

creek

Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post

good luck and please let us know how it turns out, I don't think you will miss the ground.
    When I figure out how to throw myself at the ground and miss, I wont be around to let anyone know...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    So as a canoe camper, I don't really care about weight. I see it as a regularly occurring negative, but it doesn't matter to me. Other than the weight in the pack itself, does it really impact the hang or the hammock to be "heavy". I'm also not exactly small, 6'3" 260lbs, so something with decent strength is more important than being light...
    If weight doesn't matter, does bulk? Eventually, everything gets packed together in your pack, and then you have to either carry that pack around, or fit it on you canoe. Does a half a pound matter for your tarp? Probably not. Combine that extra with your other pieces of equipment, and it might, might not. I think what some will argue is that if it doesn't matter now, there's a good chance it might later, and that spending more to get a lighter piece of equipment is a good long-run bet. AND, compared with ENO stuff, you may be spending less to get less weight/bulk.

I think the ProFly is a reasonably good tarp. Is it the best value? I'd say probably not, but its not that expensive either. It will certainly keep you dry in a typical straight down rain. If you're not using a down UQ that you would be worried about getting wet (using a pad inside the hammock), then you shouldn't be too worried about windblown spray. The length of the ProFly is adequate, the width is barely adequate. But in all but the most windy of rainstorms - where you would certainly want some doors - it is completely sufficient.

Otherwise, the DryFly is of silly design, and the ProFly XL is too big. I know, I have a 12' tarp and I sometimes find myself being limited in terms of trees and distance. And if you have to have greater tree distance to accommodate your tarp, that's going to adversely affect the hang of your hammock, especially if you have a short ENO with no ridgeline to set the sag. But some more width would be welcome, as would doors.

Wind is a big factor in staying warm in a hammock, and doors (and width to some diminishing degree) can make a significant difference. That's why you're going to hear that something like the Superfly is a better overall value. If weight truly doesn't matter that much, then in my mind, there is no reason not to have doors - which can be pulled back out of use when not needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234