Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

I give you:: The Gear Taco

Being a long-term tent and tarp camper, I am used to having an easy, and dry place to keep my miscellaneous gear once I set up camp. However, with the hammock, there's not that much you can keep right in there with you. Gear lofts for the tiny/at-hand stuff work just fine, but what about easy-access solutions so as to not stuff everything back in the pack?

So here is my prototyping idea:
    1] one square yard of fabric... this initial prototype showed me I'm probably better off with something more like a yard and the half.
    2] hemmed around the edges
    3] three quarters of two opposite sides gathered just like a hammock
    4] a line run across through the front hem, up in each side hem, and then passing back through the corner loops to gather the ends.
    5] mitten hooks/brummels/etc at or attached to the running ends
    6] possibly a couple of flat "Levi" pockets sewn inside for odds and ends that you don't need in your gear loft

You could then string it up just like a miniature hammock between the gathered end of your hammock and the tree. The top line across the front would provide structure, while the gathered bag at the rear would allow storage, with the remaining fabric just draping over/down across the top as a lid.
    From my prototype it looks as though adding an extra half yard would allow you more bag and also to put a "handkerchief point" on that extra fabric "lid" to be assured of full coverage for stuff stored in the taco.
    Perhaps a little folded under pocket at the handkerchief point of the lid would let you slip a rock in as a way to hold the lid down in the front.
    If made out of a length of something like sil-poly, it should be weather-proof and weigh almost nothing.

Here are three photos of my prototype.
    Let me have your thoughts and criticisms.....
    (Don't tell the Hot Librarian and that I used one of her dinner napkins, or that I didn't wash it first...)
    IMG_1049.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1051.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I've got one of these in a light silpoly with a zipper and I love it: http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/401

Packs down super tiny, so even if I bring it and don't use it, it's not a big deal, but I usually use it

Images
    That's a good idea. An out of the way place to store the stuff you only need around camp and not in the hammock.

Nice job.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
    I've got one of these in a light silpoly with a zipper and I love it: http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/401

Packs down super tiny, so even if I bring it and don't use it, it's not a big deal, but I usually use it
    I figured someone must have something the same up for sale, somewhere. However, my quick search didn't turn up anything, and I'm hoping to bring one in a whole lot cheaper than $30

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Looks good!

This is very similar to the Molly Mac Gear Box. The big difference I see is that in the Gear Box the flap is extended and rounded, and there's a small pocket at the apex of the curve where you can place something weighted (a water bottle works great) in order to keep the flap closed. This is actually in practice a needed thing, as once you make it out of lightweight material (Silnylon, etc.) even a light breeze will blow it open, eliminating the waterproof capabilities. The one night that the weight fell out of the pocket when using mine, the wind blew it open and it rained. It then essentially turns into a hanging bathtub full of gear (that wasn't fun to wake up to). Luckily it was only a light drizzle, and most of my gear was in use and not stored in the 'tub'.

Then again, if you're talking about hanging it between the end of the hammock and the tree, this might be mitigated some by partial tarp coverage.

Look forward to seeing the final project.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Thanks for the pointers to the MMGB, and the other variations people tried. There are so many threads here on the forum that sometimes you can't find just what you are looking for with a quick search on your own, and it's wonderful to have people shove you in the right direction.
    These are exactly the kinds of things I was envisioning. I will probably go to the DIY route simply because... $$$z.
    I'm going to set aside a bit of time later to read through the threads... Any other linkings would be great

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Thanks for the pointers to the MMGB, and the other variations people tried. There are so many threads here on the forum that sometimes you can't find just what you are looking for with a quick search on your own, and it's wonderful to have people shove you in the right direction.
    These are exactly the kinds of things I was envisioning. I will probably go to the DIY route simply because... $$$z.
    I'm going to set aside a bit of time later to read through the threads... Any other linkings would be great
    This should give you some reading for your downtime with both vendor and DIY options: clicky linky (hopefully that link works ...)

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    It seems this would be a great piece to add to the spreader bar tips on a bridge hammock...has anyone ever hung their gear between the tips at the head or foot? I'd guess the head end would work best.
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." – Bilbo Baggins

Images
    You could add small square of Velcro or a snap on the bottom center of the flap to keep it closed. Problem solved.

Images
    Nice work. This made me think about the Molly Mac Gear bag as well. I could see doing something like this or in between the size of yours and the Molly Mac out of MembraneSil from RSBTR. Some really light and water proof stuff. Another project for the thread injector.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast