A question about long distance hammock hiking.

Okay, this may be a newbie question, but I am completely lost on what to do with your backpack and the rest of your gear when you are sleeping in a hammock. I've noticed that some hammocks have a place to store your gear, but I am looking at a Hennessey hammock which doesn't seem to have a solution for that. Any tips or methods would be appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hang all your gear from the suspension lines with carabiners. All of my bags from food, cookware, stove, clothing, toiletries, are in stuff sacks. I just loop the draw-string over one of the 'biners connected to either the tree-end, or hammock-end.

Newest addition to my setup: I have added 2 SMC descending rings (within 1 inch of the hammock wrapping) to my suspension lines. I just clip the water-proof toiletry bag to the foot-end ring (via carabiner). This makes it very easy to "grab and go", it also acts like a drip line. I use my pots on the head-end ring.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images

Cool

I was looking at that too. The hennessy's tarps are usually not big enough to cover the gear that is hung up. I saw people using smaller kid size hammocks but that is extra weight and may put pressure one one side of you're hammock. I thought I saw someone hang up their things in a big poncho.. that could work.
    Anyway hope this was some help. I'm looking for a hennessy too and I had the same problem.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    I have a Hennessy Hyperlite. There isn't much left in my pack by the time I get situated. My food and stove is in it's bear bag hang or in a bear canister 200' away. My clothes are in a stuff sack that I use for my pillow. Sleeping bag and pad ... well it's pretty obvious where they are. Shoes hang over the ridge line and kicked down to the foot end.

I put my poncho over my nearly empty pack and hang it from the hammock support line at the head end. It's just under the tarp so water can't hit it directly and anything that blows in is shed by the poncho. I've hung in a couple of driving rain storms and the pack has stayed high and dry.

Thanks guys for the help. I am planning for an AT thru hike in the future, and reached the decision over a tent or a hammock. I was really leaning to the hammock for comfort and versatility. Sounds like a good plan though. I wasn't really thinking about most of the stuff being out of my backpack once I was getting settled for the night. I guess I will be sleeping in the trees as many of you do.

Images
    One thing I started doing was hanging a seperate rope inbetween the trees and under the tarp. Everything gets hung from that. Keeps things off the ground and under the tarp, without putting extra weight on the hammock changing the way it feels.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Coffee, I'd say that idea sounds great. Do you hang the tarp higher or do you hang it at normal height and your equip. just hangs against the hammock?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hang your food from the bear cable at the shelter if available or hang a bear bag, then open the pockets of your pack and put it under your tarp with some kind of protection such as a pack cover or pack liner to keep it dry from wind blown rain, snow, etc. Your pack will be handy and dry and the open pockets will keep mice, squirrels, etc from chewing their way in and/or out.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    a general rule of thumb is that if you are going to sleep, and still have so much extra gear that you don't know where to put it, you have too much. IMO

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    a general rule of thumb is that if you are going to sleep, and still have so much extra gear that you don't know where to put it, you have too much. IMO
    True dat!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts