WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    I suppose that it is possible that there is some variability in the tightness of the webbing loop around the cinch buckles. Yet when mine was bunching up, it was still tight enough to make it tough to move it back into place. It is also a small enough loop (of webbing) to to make pulling the amsteel loop (of the ti cinch buckle) through, a tight fit.

It also makes you wonder which moves off to the corner first - the webbing loop or the tree strap. I replaced my tree straps with the black polyester straps from Dutch, because the Amok straps were frayed a bit (not nearly as bad as Hammi's), and because I felt that they are a little soft and stretchy. It could be the straps that are causing this. I too hope that the Amok crew figures this out, as they otherwise have a great product. I can fall asleep faster in the Amok than any other hammock that I have used.

Hammi, I know that this was a let down for you (pun intended), but I still wonder if you played around with the Amok a little more, you might come to a different conclusion on if it will work for you. I think that if you solved the buckle and strap issue (most important), and then worked with using one of your Expeds, you might have a super comfortable hang on your hands. Especially if you hope to sleep on your stomach or side. For about $10 plus shipping, you could order Warbonnet's 1" cinch buckles. They are triangle shaped, and cannot turn like the square buckles. If you don't want to remove the existing buckles from the Amok, like I did, you could simply larkshead the amsteel loop through or around the existing buckles. Or as others have suggested, you could simply do a half hitch using the Amok's buckles. There is a good chance that Amok would replace your straps, but I might opt for stiffer ones.

Using the Exped would give you a different experience than what you are getting with the thermarest set up. I think with some fiddling and getting used to the learning curve (with this being such a "different" hammock), your first issue would be eliminated. This is all just my opinion, and you may already have everything boxed back up and ready to go, and I would understand. HYOH.

kg

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Hammi- I think I will risk doubling down on kghiker about the jury-rigged pads you tried. The vendors ought to be OK with you at least testing out the recommended ones you had on order.
    I had my "first-doubts" about the Draumr until the Syn-Mat came... It was like night and day.
    And as a lot of the other posts have indicated, there are plenty of things you can try with changing out the suspension without going ahead and returning the hammock.

My suggestion would be to hold on 'til right at the end of your 30 day return period for the AMOK, and give all the variables more of a chance.

I know that I started this thread and called it "Kool-Aid Drinkers", and I joke around about being a fanboy etc., but I am actually a pretty critical person. The only people that seem to have truly been disappointed in the Draumr are the ones who are too tall for the current product. Even SemperFiGuy, who is right at the top of the height limit, is pretty excited about his. For the rest of us, and especially the side sleepers, it's close to perfect.
    G'Luck wha'evz...
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Neolite Double
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Hammi- I think I will risk doubling down on kghiker about the jury-rigged pads you tried. The vendors ought to be OK with you at least testing out the recommended ones you had on order.
    I had my "first-doubts" about the Draumr until the Syn-Mat came... It was like night and day.
    And as a lot of the other posts have indicated, there are plenty of things you can try with changing out the suspension without going ahead and returning the hammock.

My suggestion would be to hold on 'til right at the end of your 30 day return period for the AMOK, and give all the variables more of a chance.

I know that I started this thread and called it "Kool-Aid Drinkers", and I joke around about being a fanboy etc., but I am actually a pretty critical person. The only people that seem to have truly been disappointed in the Draumr are the ones who are too tall for the current product. Even SemperFiGuy, who is right at the top of the height limit, is pretty excited about his. For the rest of us, and especially the side sleepers, it's close to perfect.
    G'Luck wha'evz...
    Gaaaaa! One pad arrived on Saturday (REI) and I cradled it, thinking I should try it. The other EXPED and the schnoozle pump arrive on Tuesday. I am so tempted, but my order for the UQ from Jack R Better (ordered to get here before my trip) also hit My AMEX. I wasn't expecting to spend 850 worth of hammock gear this month which is what it would be if I keep the Amok and the underquilt.

Do any of you that use the AMOK ever want to adjust the built in ridgeline?

Thanks for all your help with the koolaid rebel here.
    Last edited by Hammi Camper; 10-04-2015 at 21:03.
    Each moment of the year has its own beauty ... a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammi Camper View Post
    Gaaaaa! One pad arrived on Saturday (REI) and I cradled it, thinking I should try it. The other EXPED and the schnoozle pump arrive on Tuesday. I am so tempted, but my order for the UQ from Jack R Better (ordered to get here before my trip) also hit My AMEX. I wasn't expecting to spend 850 worth of hammock gear this month which is what it would be if I keep the Amok and the underquilt.

Do any of you that use the AMOK ever want to adjust the build in ridgeline?

Thanks for all your help with the koolaid rebel here.
    Plus. Do you really think they would let me try it for that long and still return it?
    Each moment of the year has its own beauty ... a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images
    Is this the half hitch knot you mean?
    http://www.howcast.com/videos/76-how...lf-hitch-knot/
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Hammi-- AMOK gives 30 days... REI is a year... don't know about the other vendor, [but prolly 30 day]

I have AMEX. They are pretty good to work with. it would be my bet that if you called them and explained the situation and that a good portion of the charges will have to be reversed off the card anyway, they would waive the late fees for a month or so. Especially if you have decent credit history. ...Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    I havent tried to adjust the ridgeline at all. I feel the way it lies, it is fine for me. I would think if you adjust it it may effect the way the pad sits inside and how much rigidity you get.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    Hammi, the half hitch is pretty much a simple knot. Even better would be the slippery half hitch, where you would be able to simply pull the end of the webbing to release it. You thread a loop of the strap through the knot, leaving the end free, outside of the knot. (A shaky explanation, at best.) It's a real easy knot.

I wouldn't change the length of the ridgeline, as it determines the proper spread of the Amok. It is also a structural ridgeline, in that it is directly attached to the suspension and carries some of the strain.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Find trees that are farther apart. I'm short and also had problems with getting the straps high enough- widen the trees and the angle changes.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

Here's my Draumr 3.0 set up to do a second night of "cold-camping" to try the configs of my sleeping systems. I am fairly satisfied with my combos above 40°F... it's where we go down to 32° and lower that I need to know what I've got, while having the option of punting back into the house if I am discontent.
    Last night, I went topless under a frost. The stars were just too big of a draw for me to put the tarp up. However, there was just enough of a drafty breeze over my shoulder and down my neck to be annoying.
    Tonight I'm going to see how it feels with the tarp snugged down much closer than I have done before.

[if the photo looks a bit odd it is because I have the hammock ends folded up to the structural Ridgeline and clipped together. It is also still draped with a WallyWorld tarp that I had tossed over the ridge to keep the leaves from falling inside.]

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast