Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You are going to need some bottom insulation for everything except the middle of the summer. Most people need bottom insulation below 65-70* F. IThe super shelter for the HH is far superior to pads, but not as budget friendly. A synthetic underquilt for 3 season use would run the same as the Super Shelter, or close to it. A down UQ would break the bank. With a double layer hammock you can slip the pad between the layers and get by with a $12 pad from Wally World.

There are lots of choices for tarps. You can come in for less than $50 for some options. Not as nice as a c-note sil tarp... but there is a budget to consider.

I love my HH and have pimped it out with the Super Shelter but the Blackbird is an excellent choice for the pad user. I don't think you would outgrow either hammock. But for the pad user, go double layer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Since I don't plan to do any hammock camping this winter I still have time to raise money for a Warbonnet BB and more time to decide.

If I have a good sleeping back 10 degree and a good pad and possibly a wool blanket would that cover the 3 seasons in a Hennessy? Or would it still be chilly?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Pads are not as much fun in the HH as they are in something with two layers.

The HH system is cheaper than Warbonnet because the HH comes with a tarp. That makes it tempting. Do realize, though, that a lot of people on this board who use HH hammocks end up buying a separate tarp anyway.

Peanutdude,

Double layer hammocks make pad use bearable. A pad in a single layer hammock especially one with bottom entry would be a real pain in the butt. If it were me I would get the Black Bird or the new Switchback from Tree to tree gear. Both of them have been thought out to the point where you really don't need to mod them to be completely happy. Most people will get a different tarp for the Hennessey and also swap out the suspension.

Switchback post:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...557#post160557

DG

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Do realize, though, that a lot of people on this board who use HH hammocks end up buying a separate tarp anyway.
    I'm planning on making a separate tarp to cover my hammock and my gear. I'm not sure yet. I want to see what other people's systems are. Is there a forum on this site where people can just put pictures of their rigs and/or say what they usually have in their system? If not thats fine. I'm still new here and I have a lot to learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I think it's fair to say that the majority of folks on this site use a tarp made by either Brian at OES or Brandon at Warbonnet. That excludes people who make their own, but Brandon and OES are kind of the standard, as far as I can tell.

There are a lot of great tarp options now a days. Here are a few I would consider:

Back Woods Day Dreamer
    http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm

Warbonnet Super Fly ( has removable doors)

OES MacCat
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.html

Speer winter Tarp
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

JRB Tarps:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/11%20x%2...Cat%20Tarp.htm

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have a Expedition, and I have removed the suspension, modded the bug net for a zipper, then removed the bug net altogether. I use CCF as insulation only and it sucks with bottom entry, so my HH is now top entry; and CCF insulation was a big reason for it.

The Black Bird will be better for you if you are going to use CCF pads, double layer as other have suggested works great, but I use a Speer SPE for my pads and it works great.

If you are truly budget minded, buy the DIY kit from Speer, or buy the stuff and build your own. You can build a Hennessey clone from directions on this website, Speer offers directions...It really isn't that hard. Save enough on the hammock to buy a nice tarp!

If I were doing it all over again from scratch, it would be one of Warbonnet's designs with his tarp. If it was a budget breaker, buy the Warbonnet hammock and spring for the cheap, but decent, Guide Gear type tarps; or buy a good Warbonnet trap and build your own hammock!

If you need to buy cheap and modify the suspension anyway, go with ENO. I have a double I paid less than $30 bucks for and it sleeps great.

Lots of options!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    My first hammock was a HH. Without a pad, it was comfy. With a pad, it was a nightmare.

Go a double layer hammock. Warbonnet are the best in my opinion. But if you want to start on a budget, go the mosquito expedition hammock. Cheap and comes with a tarp unless you choose otherwise.
    Last edited by Wentworth; 10-18-2009 at 17:47.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Go a double layer hammock. Warbonnet are the best in my opinion. But if you want to start on a budget, go the mosquito expedition hammock. Cheap and comes with a tarp unless you choose otherwise.
    The expedition hammock from http://www.mosquitohammock.com doesn't come with a tarp. It's the jungle version that you are thinking of. Another reason to consider any of the hammocks from that site is the free worldwide shipping.

Also with all of the modding off HH that seems to be going on (zipper mod, suspension, different tarp), I'm confused why anyone would bother with that? For the same money or less you could get a more complete hammock and tarp setup from one of the many hammock makers here.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast