WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    At the risk of stirring the pot...AND...acknowledging favorable bias toward the gear that I own, I followed a very different path as a beginner. In the best spirit of gear geekdom, I spent a LOT of time doing internet research, reading forums and looking at gear in stores (even talking to salespeople when I had to). IMO, there's a lot of "wisdom" from the experience of other users, especially on this forum.

I'm also old enough (!) so that I've been through the buy-cheap-to-start-and-replace-it later-once-you-know-what-you're-doing mind set more than once. My hindsight suggests that doing research and asking questions and then stepping up to buy gear that is well-regarded from retailers/manufacturers with reasonable return privileges is ultimately cheaper than trying out on the cheap and then upgrading. YMMV. If I find I really don't like what I bought when I try it out and can't return it, then there's usually a ready market for selling the nearly new good stuff to other enthusiasts for a small discount.

For my entry into hammock usage and leaving my ground-dwelling habits, I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird and an OES MacCat Deluxe as my initial purchases. I couldn't be happier with both choices. Good products from good people!! I'm not replacing anything from my initial purchases. Quite the opposite since I also added a 3 season Yeti UQ and a JRB MW4 UQ to extend into the cold Minnesota winter, with a BBO top cover from Paul Gibson and Winter Dream tarp from Scott Littlefield on order.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Peanutdude,
    That is a debate in it's self. But I have read in other threads that... Hangers that have used both the HH and the BB say that the BB is roomier.
    At the time that I made the move to hanging. The HH had the best price for the package. In the future I do plan on getting a BB to try out. I just need to get more familiar with what I have now. (also need the spare $160-170 to do it).

As for the blue WM pads... make sure that you are not one that creates a lot of condensation during the night (as I am). This might alter your insulation plans which will cause you to save more $$.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I started with a cheapo ebay hammock, coughlin bug net for cots and a plastic tarp from Wally World. Total out the door was less than 50.00. Still own the cheapo hammock and bug net. Then a HH, Then a Crazy creek LEX, then a DD, then more hennessey's. Plastic tarps, stock tarps, SG diamond tarps, HH Hex Tarps, DIY tarps.
    Bottom line. Dont get hung up on the latest and greatest. Buy used, buy DIY, If you like the hammock thing, you will end up with a bunch of em. I have spent many comfortable nights in the cheapo hammock. Your size dictates the type of hammock you need. I am only 5'8", 170lbs and find I sleep well in most hammocks.

Never used the Warbonnett, but it looks like everything a person would want in a hammock. I just spent 50.00 for the zipper mod of my HH. So I am happy......for now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Peanutdude, check out the HH odds and ends thread soon! Good buys there for a starter. Of course, you'll probably end up upgrading like the rest of us. But you can't have too many hammocks.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    A BB and a zipper modded HH are very close IMO. They both still have their good points. I own both, but i tend to take the HH b/c it is lighter and packs smaller. I also like the stock tarp unless there is going to be a lot of rain. For a new person getting into hammocking the HH is a more complete set up mostly b/c it has a tarp and the price of the entire set up is much less then a BB and even a cheap tarp. We are all sold on hammocking, but tell someone who isn't sure that the price to get in is somewhere around $300 and that doesn't even include any UQ, then there may not be so many takers. IMO the HH has been getting people into hammocking b/c they are a great introductory product. TH no longer has a corner on the market and I am glad for that because it stiffles inovation. Inovation like the BB, which is no doubt a great hammock.

And once you put the zipper mod on a HH the two are very close. The BB does have the optional double bottom, footbox, it is a little roomier, and chioce of suspension. All these things make it a great hammock, but also come at a weight penalty. The modded HH is lighter and also has some areas that I think function better then an BB.
    Such as;
    1. The zipper modded HH allows one to tie out the hammock body, even though the bugnet is unzipped and stowed away. Not so with the BB. The BB has a zipper that is sewn within the hammock body and the tie outs are above the zipper. Therefore, if one desires to open the bugnetting and see the stars unobstructed, one must disconnect the tie out lines, loosing the ability to stabilize the hammock.

2. The zipper modded HH can be hung high or low due to the typical HH entry slit. These optional entrances allow more hanging choices and possibly a quicker access to avoid mosquito entry. The BB must be hung low as most top loading hammocks.

3. The zipper modded HH, when the bugnet is unzipped and flipped over the ridgeline can be easily entered without stooping. In order to enter the BB, one must duck under the netting and tie outs.

4. The zipper modded HH allows for access to both sides of the hammock. A real plus when adjusting underquilts. The BB has access to only one side of the hammock.

5. The zipper modded HH also allows to have the bugnet removed from view and stowed away, the best you can do with a BB is flip it over the ridgeline.

6. There are so many HH’s out there, one can pick up a used one and get it modded for less than a BB., and it comes with a basic tarp that will at least keep you dry.

There you go, fire away. At least I can say to those new hammockers trying to decide on what hammock to purchase, the modded HH has some valid points to consider.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    A BB and a zipper modded HH are very close IMO. They both still have their good points. I own both, but i tend to take the HH b/c it is lighter and packs smaller. I also like the stock tarp unless there is going to be a lot of rain. For a new person getting into hammocking the HH is a more complete set up mostly b/c it has a tarp and the price of the entire set up is much less then a BB and even a cheap tarp. We are all sold on hammocking, but tell someone who isn't sure that the price to get in is somewhere around $300 and that doesn't even include any UQ, then there may not be so many takers. IMO the HH has been getting people into hammocking b/c they are a great introductory product. TH no longer has a corner on the market and I am glad for that because it stiffles inovation. Inovation like the BB, which is no doubt a great hammock.

And once you put the zipper mod on a HH the two are very close. The BB does have the optional double bottom, footbox, it is a little roomier, and chioce of suspension. All these things make it a great hammock, but also come at a weight penalty. The modded HH is lighter and also has some areas that I think function better then an BB.
    Such as;
    1. The zipper modded HH allows one to tie out the hammock body, even though the bugnet is unzipped and stowed away. Not so with the BB. The BB has a zipper that is sewn within the hammock body and the tie outs are above the zipper. Therefore, if one desires to open the bugnetting and see the stars unobstructed, one must disconnect the tie out lines, loosing the ability to stabilize the hammock.

2. The zipper modded HH can be hung high or low due to the typical HH entry slit. These optional entrances allow more hanging choices and possibly a quicker access to avoid mosquito entry. The BB must be hung low as most top loading hammocks.

3. The zipper modded HH, when the bugnet is unzipped and flipped over the ridgeline can be easily entered without stooping. In order to enter the BB, one must duck under the netting and tie outs.

4. The zipper modded HH allows for access to both sides of the hammock. A real plus when adjusting underquilts. The BB has access to only one side of the hammock.

5. The zipper modded HH also allows to have the bugnet removed from view and stowed away, the best you can do with a BB is flip it over the ridgeline.

6. There are so many HH’s out there, one can pick up a used one and get it modded for less than a BB., and it comes with a basic tarp that will at least keep you dry.

There you go, fire away. At least I can say to those new hammockers trying to decide on what hammock to purchase, the modded HH has some valid points to consider.
    Dutch,

Good points... I would add that while many find the shelf storage on a BB nice..... The smaller three section sliding line storage of the HH is far more convienent and safer for a pair of glasses for those that wear glasses and don't want to be bothered with carrying a case for night storage.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Dutch,

Good points... I would add that while many find the shelf storage on a BB nice..... The smaller three section sliding line storage of the HH is far more convienent and safer for a pair of glasses for those that wear glasses and don't want to be bothered with carrying a case for night storage.

Pan
    I just hook one of the arms of my glasses over the ridgeline of my BB for that reason... so that they don't get smashed by all the crap I load up the shelf with. I also loop the band of my headlamp over the ridgeline so that it's easy to find in the dark.

If you want a bag to hang off the ridgeline, it would be super easy to make.

Dutch hit on the only thing I've ever noticed that I don't like about the BB- the way you have to duck under the tie-out to get in and out. I don't think it would work below the zipper, though, so it's not like you could easily put it in a better place. When I consider the footbox, the double bottom, and the top notch workmanship and customer service, one small design annoyance doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I hang my glasses directly from the ridgeline, and also have a small pocket I picked up from REI that I hang up there. It's easy enough to hang a stuff sack or any other small storage sack from a ridgeline too.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Dutch hit on the only thing I've ever noticed that I don't like about the BB- the way you have to duck under the tie-out to get in and out.
    I just lift the netting up ..... it has shock cord on it so it gives .... not to big of a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I hang my glasses directly from the ridgeline, and also have a small pocket I picked up from REI that I hang up there. It's easy enough to hang a stuff sack or any other small storage sack from a ridgeline too.
    Also add my small mesh bag on the ridge for longer trips .....

The zip-modded HH sounds darn good though .... tarp included.
    Oh the choices and decisions .......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    The HH was a good intro to hammock camping for me as I was an REI addict when I lived in California. It never bothered me until I stumbled onto these forums! Then I realized that I am not crazy about the lack of leg room in my sleeping bag in the HH (harder to get in compared to a top entry). The BB has more room I've since learned, and I can probably solve my desire for more leg room by going the TQ/UQ route. Until I get a BB and the quilts, I will probably do the zip mods on the HH and get my wife hooked.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast