dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Well due to some recent medical issues I am not going to be able to do this trip.
    Chris

I go down there that weekend anyway so it will be great to have some other people to "hang" out with. I hope you get to go too Doctarie

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I don't know yet, but after I go and have my Dr visits I still may try to come. I need to get out bad. Where does everyone want to go to in the gorge? I was thinking Bison Trail.
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Well due to some recent medical issues I am not going to be able to do this trip.
    DUDE!! Sorry to hear that!

I'm likely going with Firewalker, as my schedule has changed so now I can go. So I second the suggestion that others join us. Don't care where we camp, I love it all.

OH, just read the 'Maybe after I see my MD" post, hope you can make it Chris!! After all, this is your to do. Bison Way to Indian Staircase, or just somewhere North on Sheltowee? If it is a small group, there is a sweet campsite about 3.5 miles in on STT, right on two streams, with about 5 - 7 hangin sites spread pretty wide. But then I ain't been atop IS in over a year, so,,,,,,,,,,

OR, about a mile from the Swinging bridge (so 1.6 mile hike from the cars) is another nice site, also on a stream.

Your call.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Well I know HC4U said there was a nice spot along the river off the STT some where? I haven't actually hiked Bison Trail, but have wanted to. If I am able to come it more than likely be just for one night, since my wife may have to work. So if all goes well maybe I can make it down on Friday
    Chris

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

about a mile from the Swinging bridge (so 1.6 mile hike from the cars) is another nice site, also on a stream.
    After talking to Doctari I think we will have the hang at this location. I will try to get driving directions from Doctari to post here soon.
    Chris

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    There is a great place to hang on SST where Salt Fork meets Gladie Creek. We were down there in August. It was gorgeous. Next to Salt Fork is a huge sandy area which is posted no camping. You can follow Salt Fork upstream or get your feet wet and go across Gladie to a nice site. I was surprised to see horse shoe impressions on the SST, can u have a horse on the SST? I hope everything works out Chris and u get to get out in the woods. Good Luck

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    After talking to Doctari I think we will have the hang at this location. I will try to get driving directions from Doctari to post here soon.
    COOL! I posted 2 hiking options, there are more*, but these are the easiest to follow.

Take Exit 33 off KY 15 at Slade, go Left if coming from Lexington area; the Shell station is visible across the rd & to the Right. GET A PERMIT!

HIKING OPTION #1: Mostly level grade: From the Slade Shell: Go Right out of the parking lot to the Nada Tunnel Rd, (KY 77) NOTE: Nada tunnel is a TWO WAY ONE LANE tunnel, be careful! Cross the iron bridge & turn Right, in about 300' stay right onto KY 715. (77 turns Left) Keep sharp, the Swinging bridge STT parking lot sneaks up on you pretty quick, its on the right. If you come to the Glade visitors center, you went too far.
    From the parking lot, go to the far end from the driveway (there is a notice board & trash cans) & take the connector trail to the STT & the swinging bridge, Cross the bridge & soon turn right. You will be walking almost back to the parking lot, on the other side of the Red River. Soon bear left & climb a short ways to a old logging road, turn right. at the bottom of the hill the STT follows that creek somewhat closely to it's jct with the Rough Trail. At this jct: You are there. The STT follows the Rough trail right. There is ample water here, & you are near a few other trail jcts with some good views if you feel like walking some more. There are also quite a few HUGE rocks with some interesting features.
    According to my map, the total distance walked is 1.9 miles from the parking lot.

HIKING OPTION #2: From the Slade Shell, turn Left on 15 to 715, turn right on 715 (at the outfitters) in about 1/4 mile is gravel Chimney Top road on your right, turn there. l think its the first parking lot.
    Take the Rough Trail on the right (the "Wrong one" crosses the road in a few feet). This hike is only 0.8 miles long, but is quite a bit steeper (descend from parking lot to camp, climb back to parking lot.) You pass the Koomer Ridge trail at MP 0.5, stay right.

For those who have the OUtrageGIS maps, the campsite is at/near point "F"

* I figured out 3 other trailheads & stopped figuring hiking routes at 8.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    There is a great place to hang on SST where Salt Fork meets Gladie Creek. We were down there in August. It was gorgeous. Next to Salt Fork is a huge sandy area which is posted no camping. You can follow Salt Fork upstream or get your feet wet and go across Gladie to a nice site. I was surprised to see horse shoe impressions on the SST, can u have a horse on the SST? I hope everything works out Chris and u get to get out in the woods. Good Luck
    A BEAUTIFUL site, I spent 4 hrs soaking in the Glade my last hike there in August. I even hung almost Over the Glade*. But it's 3.4 miles in, on a moderate trail, & rigidpsycho is having health issues, I am thinking that last descent to / first ascent from the campsite may be a bit rough for him.

Oh, BTW; NO YOU CANNOT HAVE HORSES ON THE STT, at least between the campsite in question & bison Way. The authorities have been made aware of these. But if next time you are there & see signs of horses being on the "Hikers ONLY" section, if you could stop at the Glade center & let them know the horse riders are STILL using that section, I would appreciate it!! The horses are allowed TO the campsite, but NOT any further, when coming from the other side of the Salt Fork creek.

*I HAD to remember which side I could get up on or Splash!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Should we try to set a time to meeet at the Shell and caravan to the trailhead. How far is the trailhead from Rockbrodge? If I remember right 715 is more easily accessible from the Campton exit off of the parkway. You get off of exit turn right then turn right again on 715.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast