WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing

CRL and HG 1 piece snake skins

So I am new to hammocking and have ordered a bunch of stuff to get into it. I have an 11 ft CF snakeskin from HG and I also have a continuous ridge line from Dutchware with soft shackles. I have not received my tarp yet which is a Mamajamba from Warbonnet. I was wondering if I should put the snakeskin over the ridge line and the tarp or just on the tarp? I will be keeping it in a stuffsac either way. Not sure if it really matters, but I am just looking for advice from people who may have already tried and found one or the other to be better.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Not sure if it matters but I plan to run the ridge line over the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubrious View Post
    So I am new to hammocking and have ordered a bunch of stuff to get into it. I have an 11 ft CF snakeskin from HG and I also have a continuous ridge line from Dutchware with soft shackles. I have not received my tarp yet which is a Mamajamba from Warbonnet. I was wondering if I should put the snakeskin over the ridge line and the tarp or just on the tarp? I will be keeping it in a stuffsac either way. Not sure if it really matters, but I am just looking for advice from people who may have already tried and found one or the other to be better.

Thanks
    You bought a nice suite of gear.

You're going to find folks who like CRLs and those who don't. I usually use one. My preference is to pack the CRL with my stakes. My rationale is that I put up the CRL first and then attach the Tarp, in its skin (I use a pair) to (in your case) the soft shackles. I think the rig is easier to get up this way and I prefer to not have little coils of ridgeline hanging off the end of my tarp. If you don't care about these things, just run the CRL through the skin with the tarp, leaving the shackles attached. Yup, you want the tarp below. If it's under, it creates a ridge under the material and water can pool between that ridge and the ridge seam down the middle of your tarp. That pooling can leak through. I didn't get this at first and had my CRL running under. I've learned.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks TominMN. I was leaning toward putting the tarp in the skin and keeping the ridge line separate in the stake bag. I was worried about eventually rubbing holes in the tarp keeping the line with the tarp inside the skin. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a valid reason not to do so.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I'm thinking it may matter if you don't have the ridge line inside the HG skin.
    When you deploy your tarp if you don't have enough soft shackle length all of the 11ft skin will be bunched up in a very small space. With the ridge line included inside the HG skin you can just push the skin to one side more easily. I guess you could just slide the entire skin off the tarp and store it though. When you get you stuff set it up see for yourself though. I haven't used the soft shackles but I do have the HG single skin.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    That is a valid point, Bike-N-Hike. I guess I will just have to play with it once it arrives. Has anyone ever had a problem with the ridge line rubbing a hole in a tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-N-Hike View Post
    I'm thinking it may matter if you don't have the ridge line inside the HG skin.
    When you deploy your tarp if you don't have enough soft shackle length all of the 11ft skin will be bunched up in a very small space. With the ridge line included inside the HG skin you can just push the skin to one side more easily. I guess you could just slide the entire skin off the tarp and store it though. When you get you stuff set it up see for yourself though. I haven't used the soft shackles but I do have the HG single skin.
    I handle this with a short CL on the each end of the tarp so between that and the shackle there just enough room to retract the skins/sleeves.

• + New Posts