Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting a little eschew in my HH Expedition

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and new to hammock camping. A buddy and I decided that hammock camping looked like the way to go, so we did some research and both of us got the HH Expedition Asym (we liked some of the features combined with the price).

Anyway, we are going out for a little time in the brush next weekend, so we decided this past weekend to test out our gear to make sure we will be good to go in the colder weather (I have always tested any new gear before camping, especially cold weather camping. There's nothing worse than finding out that something doesn't work when you are miles from civilization). Anyway, I probably don't have to tell any of you, we loved the hammocks and stayed quite warm with our Military Modular Sleeping Bag System combined with a Therma-Rest pad. The first night I tried with the pad under my sleeping bag. You all know the results. So the next night I tried it with the pad between the two layers of my sleeping bag with great success.

However, there is an issue that both of us seem to be having. The hammock is leaning heavily to one side. In other words, one side is very high, the other side is very low. I could look to my left and directly next to my shoulder was the mesh, I could see right outside, my tarp wasn't exactly covering me at that point (which isn't good because we are expecting a little rain during our trip). When I look to my right, the sidewall of my hammock is way up.

Do any of you know what causes this phenomenon and any way to right it?

P.S. My buddy tried laying both ways each night. One he laid with his feet to the left and his head to the right. And the next night he laid with his feet to the right and his head to the left. Both with no change. He said that laying straight down the middle seemed to have some effect, but it seems to me that this is not how they were designed to be used (especially with the opening in the middle, I don't want my feet falling out in the middle of the night).

Thank you all for your help.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There's really nothing to 'right', because that's how it's supposed to be. Note that the HH has an asymmetrical bugnet, so you aren't supposed to look out both sides at once when laying on the diagonal.

That diagonal is what allows you to lay flatter, though, and typically more comfortably.

Welcome to the forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    did you have the side tie-downs deployed? did the tarp wings match the arrangement of the side tie outs?
    Just thinking....
    KM

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is designed that way on purpose. That way the bears have a fighting chance when approaching the taco... They learn pretty quickly to approach from the high side.

(I did count to ten before I posted this. Then I passed it by the wife... She passed on it well... It's joke people...!)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    As the others have said, that's the way it's made and intended to work. The left side (laying on your back) should allow a view but the right side will not unless you sit up or pull the hammock body down some with your hand. You can use this to block or capture some breeze depending on your need and available tree orientation.

The stock HH tarp is small and does need to be aligned the right way for good coverage (KerMegan is right to suggest making sure the tarp & hammock tie outs are lined up the same way). Most folks curse the small HH tarp when it is cold and/or rainy, especially if it's windy, too. But a few intrepid souls swear by it (instead of at it!). I find that I take a larger tarp in all but the nicest forecast but on a pleasant, clear summer evening, the small HH tarp is fine. You may want to play with attaching the tarp to a tree on one or both ends instead of to the hammock suspension. Some folks like this as it keeps the tarp tighter when you are in the hammock, although it does increase the space between the tarp and the hammock. If the forecast is for nasty weather next weekend and you aren't fully comfortable with the HH tarp yet, think about taking another tarp, even if it's a cheap poly tarp, for safety's sake.

Rev, good one! LOL.

Thanks all. The tie downs are matched correctly and we know that we are laying in it correctly, we just weren't aware that one side was supposed to be so much higher than the other. It's not that we want to be able to look out both sides at the same time, in fact I don't want to be able to see out either side, that means I have an opening in my shelter. We just want it to be even.

My friend told me that at a couple points during the night he was actually laying on the mesh itself and had to adjust to get back on the hammock. If the mesh hadn't been there he would have fallen out. What do you guys do to at least keep it to a minimum?

Ramblinrev, I am slightly appalled at your comment. I am not a taco, and to insinuate that I am is slightly disturbing to say the least. I'm more of a snack wrap . But I think I like your style.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rather-B-Camping View Post
    I'm more of a snack wrap . But I think I like your style.

I stand corrected..

Hang with a fair amount of slack. That may make a difference It is very common for people to hang a HH much too tightly. The internal ridgeline need only be taut. It won't even out the sides. That's just the nature of the beast. But it may allow you to sink further down into the hammock and feel like you have more cover from the sides.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I stand corrected..

Hang with a fair amount of slack. That may make a difference It is very common for people to hang a HH much too tightly. The internal ridgeline need only be taut. It won't even out the sides. That's just the nature of the beast. But it may allow you to sink further down into the hammock and feel like you have more cover from the sides.
    Very cool, I will give that a shot. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rather-B-Camping View Post
    My friend told me that at a couple points during the night he was actually laying on the mesh itself and had to adjust to get back on the hammock. If the mesh hadn't been there he would have fallen out. What do you guys do to at least keep it to a minimum?
    Now that ain't right. At no point should you be supported by the mosquito netting. Add some slack, like RR said, and let us know what happens.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    My inner English nerd is dying to know: why did you use the word eschew in the title? It means to shun or avoid... Did you mean that the apparent leaning made you feel like the hammock was trying to get rid of you? I'm not trying to be a jerk; it just seemed like an odd choice of words.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast