SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Georgia Hanging Suggestions

SO, I am new to this hanging thing. I have been an indoor hanger for a few months now and it is time to venture outside. Got the tree straps, tarp, bugnet, zing-it etc. (plus camping stuff from my tenting days) so I think I am ready for my first outdoor adventure. Georgia folks....where do I go? I am willing to do a mile or two backpack hike to the site, if necessary. Minimal elevation gain, please. I am retired so it does not have to be on a weekend. Thought about FDR State Park, but not sure. This is not only a first time outdoor thing but just as important, a gear check thing. All suggestions welcome. Thanks
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Lake Lanier has some great sites right on the lake with good fishing to boot! I've had some great nights there!

I married A Georgia boy. And thus have spent a good amount of time in the Georgia woods. But that is the only place I know of fitting your description. Down in South Georgia there are some camp grounds along a river but I can't remember which one.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Fdr state park, (the Pine mountain trail is great for hanging!) Providence canyon (the back country trail), Any where in the Cohuttas, along the AT, Across the border in Alabama, the Pinhoti trail is an awesome place to hang! Those are my favorite places to hang! (You have lots of options!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Since I usually have limited time, I've been wandering down various trails in Redlands wma around Lake Oconee or the Oconee river. See my YouTube efforts for some details. It's more a matter of convenience than anything else but I usually manage to have a good time in what is essentially my back yard.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Raven's Cliffs near Helen is a great place. Not a lot of elevation gain or loss until you get to the falls. Lots of places to hang along the creek.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The Hemlock Falls trail begins on a road that leads opposite of Moccasin Creek state park on Hwy 197 on the north end of Lake Burton. Numerous spots to camp along the creek in the first .25m of trail. Its an easy mile from there to the main falls, and a difficult half mile from there to the second falls.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Rerun,

Welcome to the site from a neighbor. Here is a link to the Chattahoochee National Forest camping sites.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/conf...10454&actid=29

I prefer camping in the national forests over the state parks and there are plenty to chose from. They are close enough for a day trip so you can bail and head home if you run into serious issues. Lake Russell, in the Chattooga River District, is the closest, probably about an hour away from you. I usually go a little further north where the temps are a bit lower.

Good luck,
    STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Unicoi state park is nice. Close to Helen. We take our scout troop up there a good bit.

Hammock
    WBXLC currently
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ/ custom TQ
    Suspension
    buckles/ amsteel
    Raven Cliffs Falls is right outside of Helen. Nice river, rushing water and an easy walk in. You can drive pass the hiking station for a couple miles into the woods with a lot of sites on the left. Was there 3 weeks ago....

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    cheap tent tarp
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    rerun welcome to the site, hey lets get together and do some hanging sometimes I'm disable so I can go any time most of the time I'm hunting or trapping in the winter, but still camping. just send me a P.M.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast