Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD

another newbie looking for insight

i went on a 7 day canoe trip with a guy that had a camping hammock and thought it was really cool. i've been browsing the forums here for a few weeks and my initial decision was for a clark N/A, but now i'm thinking the WBBB might be a better choice. I don't know anyone in my area with either though so i'm going to buying solely based on others opinions.

i don't do much cold weather camping so warmth is really a non-issue for me at this point. i don't see myself needing an under quilt. obviously spending less is a plus, but i'm more than willing to spend the money if the difference in comfort warrants it. comfort is subjective though so without being able to try things for myself, i don't really place a huge emphasis on other's reviews in this category. for what it's worth, i'm 6' tall and 200lbs.

i do have a question about the WBBB that most of you will probably shake your heads at - the double layer that is offered, is is just to support extra weight or is there another purpose? and with the 1.1 and 1.7, is that the thickness of the fabric used or something else? also, i'm pretty clueless with the suspension options so if someone cares to shed some light on that subject, that would be great too. explain it like i'm 5 years old, i won't mind...
    Last edited by Brendan1; 10-19-2009 at 14:28.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1 View Post
    i do have a question about the WBBB that most of you will probably shake your heads at - the double layer that is offered, is is just to support extra weight or is there another purpose? and with the 1.1 and 1.7, is that the thickness of the fabric used or something else? also, i'm pretty clueless with the suspension options so if someone cares to shed some light on that subject, that would be great too. explain it like i'm 5 years old, i won't mind...
    Welcome to the forum.

The 1.1 and 1.7 refers to the weight of the material, in ounces, per square yard. The heavier it is, the stronger it is. The primary purpose of double layers is to hold more weight, but they have a wonderful side benefit of having an opening between the layers along one edge into which you can insert a sleeping pad. That holds it in place nicely, so it's easier to stay on top of while you move around in the hammock.

There are a LOT of suspension options. I suggest watching some of the suspension videos in the Video Directory to get an idea about them.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    ok, so if i did decide to pull the trigger on the WBBB, i wonder if i'd be better with the double 1.1 or the double 1.7. the additional packing weight is unimportant to me, but is it possible to be too light for the double 1.7 seeing how it's rated for upto 300lbs? i know i said i wouldn't need the under quilt, but for the extra $15, the option is there if ever needed.

do sleeping pads make hammocks more comfortable or does it just help with insulation.
    Last edited by Brendan1; 10-19-2009 at 13:56.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The pads are for insulation only.

The thicker the material, the less stretch there will be. But, there is a point where any given fabric thickness is fine for a given weight. Warbonnet site's front page has a chart of fabric, layers, and weight ratings. I would use it as a guide for your selection if you choose a BB.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Make it quick easy on yourself and call Brandon and discuss options with him. He'll answer all your questions about the fabric and your needs.

Pads help with insulation. (AS stealth posted me!)
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't have too much to add to what has already been said, but here are two things that might help:

First, unless you live in a tropical area, I would think that you will need some sort of underinsulation. You might not need a full underquilt, but if nighttime temps dip below 70-65F or so you will need something. In that sense, the double layer of the WB is convenient since it gives you the option of using a pad (which is cheaper, but not as comfortable as an underquilt, imo).

Second, assuming that the weight of your gear is not your primary concern, Brandon's adjustable webbing suspension is pretty much the way to go, I would think. You can always change it later if you desire to cut a few more grams here and there, but the webbing is just soo simple and convenient!

By the way, I assume you've watched the three videos at the bottom of the WB homepage? If not, I highly recommend them-they will probably answer a lot of your questions concerning suspensions and such.
    Fiat Luchs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Welcome to the club!

You will need insulation. Unless you live in the tropics where it never drops below 70 at night, you will need something - and a compressed sleeping bag won't do it for you. The pad is the easiest and cheapest.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't see myself needing an under quilt.
    I've heard it before.
    i'm more than willing to spend the money if the difference in comfort warrants it.
    Well then, it seems you'll be getting an underquilt after all.

Seriously, if comfort is your goal then you simply can't compare pads to an underquilt. Pads will do a fine job of insulating you in moderate, or even cold temps. If you are a sweater when you sleep, they can be a problem. But, even that has work arounds. So, the only real reason I see for underquilts is comfort. Sure they pack down substantially smaller (down anyway), but I still think that it all boils down to comfort.

At your size, I think a double 1.1 BB would be comfortable while saving several ounces in weight. I can sleep like a baby in my girlfriend's double 1.1 and I'm about 30 to 40 pounds heavier than you depending on what holiday is just past.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Brendan1,

Welcome to the forum... Which ever hammock you decide upon besure to get a good full proction insulation plan in place... It is cooling off fast in your neck of the woods.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Brendan1,

Welcome to the forum... Which ever hammock you decide upon besure to get a good full proction insulation plan in place... It is cooling off fast in your neck of the woods.

Pan
    proction?

i don't see myself doing any camping again until springtime. the CAN loonie is almost back at par with the US dollar so now is the time to buy for us canucks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast