need some advice economical quilt material

Hey guys/gals!
    Looking to make some quilts for the family for this winter. I'm not too worried about weight for these. Mainly just warmth and economy. Outfitting for the three of us for backpacking and camping would just be impossible so we are going to be looking at car camping after short hiking trips. Just ordered my wife a new WBBB for her birthday so we're all pretty excited about all three of us now getting to hammock camp.
    So after all of that... If you have some ideas of something you may have done before I'd love to hear!
    ohh...and by the way. We're from Arkansas so temps here are probably looking at lows in the 20s for the most part.

Hammock
    Nylon D
    Tarp
    winter w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    There are a couple different ways you can go fabric-wise, mostly depending if it needs to be down proof or not. If you don't care about weight you could go synthetic insulation and some 1.1 calendared ripstop nylon from RSBTR. keep in mind that a good quilt will last you a very very long time, so i would probably go down from downlinens. You can choose the Fill power to make it more economical. Dutch also has his argon 90 which is lightweight but still affordable, only 2 dollars or so more per yard than the cheapest calendared fabric you will find. Let us know if you're thinking synthetic or down and I'm sure the community can come up with some suggestions that would still make a couple very nice quilts.

Good Luck!!

Define economical...RSBTR has calendered 1.1 ripstop for $5.25/yd which you could use for both the outside and liner to be economical (although I prefer the feel of the MEMBRANE or even HyperD for the liner if it's a top quilt).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Thanks. Ya, I'm thinking about ripstop fir the liners but not sure what to fill it with.
    As far as what I would consider economical, I'd probably say under $50 each....that's why I figured down was out of the question.
    I definitely would like some nice lightweight quilts for hiking but like I said, outfitting all three of us at once would be impossible so I'm just trying to find a way to get us out at least to the campsites this fall and winter.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Dutchware has very nice prices on Climashield Apex 6.0oz for insulation.

Cool. I'll check that out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You can get 1.1 oz fabric seconds for as little as $2.35/ yd. at DIY Gear Supply: http://diygearsupply.com/product/1-1...op-nylon-2nds/
    Dutch's Apex looks to be one of the best buys for insulation. Are you planning to make both top quilts and underquilts? Outfitting 3 people, those savings can add up.

Thanks. I'll check the seconds as well.
    I would like to make both the top and the bottom. Depends on how the funds hold out. this may be a couple month job but I'm going to do as much as possible. Luckily my wife is a sewing wizz.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You can get 1.1 oz fabric seconds for as little as $2.35/ yd. at DIY Gear Supply: http://diygearsupply.com/product/1-1...op-nylon-2nds/
    Dutch's Apex looks to be one of the best buys for insulation. Are you planning to make both top quilts and underquilts? Outfitting 3 people, those savings can add up.
    This is exactly how I made my $50 underquilt (here's the thread). Six yards of 1.1 seconds from DIY gear supply (only needed four), and two yards of 3.6 Climashield from Dutch. I already had shock cord, webbing and thread laying around from previous projects though, so I suppose that's a few more dollars. Oh, and whatever it is that makes this fabric 'seconds' wasn't discernible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadinsb View Post
    This is exactly how I made my $50 underquilt (here's the thread). Six yards of 1.1 seconds from DIY gear supply (only needed four), and two yards of 3.6 Climashield from Dutch. I already had shock cord, webbing and thread laying around from previous projects though, so I suppose that's a few more dollars. Oh, and whatever it is that makes this fabric 'seconds' wasn't discernible to me.
    Thanks for the link! Looks like what I'm going to try. Great job!

• + New Posts