WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

going to ground in a Maccat

If you need to go to ground, are there different ways to set up a Maccat, or do you just set it up like you would if you were using a hammock?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    The two ways i did it was either pitch it like you would over a hammock. Tie it about mid thigh high to two trees, then pull out the sides and stake it down. My favorite way was to get a stick about 3 feet high and use it to prop up one end in the middle. Then I staked down all four corners. So it was open in the front, and the back end went all the way to the ground. A lot better in bad weather because you can put the back end to the wind and not get wet.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Don't know the MacCat well but have another tarp similar to it. You usually set the tarp lower to the ground so the side gives a good wind break if cool. You can pitch it higher for warm temps so you do get a breeze but are protected from rain. Often hiking poles are used at each end instead of running the ridgeline to trees - either use the poles at the tarp itself, which turns the ridgeline cord into stake out line, or set the poles a foot or two out from the tarp apex and run the line to the pole and then down to a stake. Basically, you're making an A Frame type shelter.

A MacCat would probably work pitched to the ground on one side but straight out, porch style, on the other. You would need to use your poles plus sticks or trees to pitch it like this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You can pitch it in a wedge or flying diamond as well. On the bottom of the blackcat DIY instructions there are a variety of ground pitches that work well with the MacCat cat tarps.

• + New Posts