Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End

Tarp/for a double hang with my kid

Planning on my first trip with my oldest. As I told her last night she was excited then I saw her face when I told her "no we are not using a tent"
    it scared her to think about hanging alone in the woods. I didn't really think about it and assured her we would be very close. I now want us side by side.

So I now have two challenges. One hanging side by side, and making a tarp for a double hang. I am not really concerned about weight, so I will diy out of materials I can get a hold of, but I would like to make it right the first time for use another day. (and I have 2 more kids who will use it one day I'm sure)

Just looking for some experience with sizes out there that can give me some good coverage in the weather that will give us both good shelter, I want to make sure I have a tarp big enough to give a good sense of shelter and safety for my kido.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie + Hug
    We had a good two day hang with the wife last weekend. Two hammocks under a 3.5m x 3m tarp. Biggest challenge is finding suitable trees. We found six trees aligned so that we could hang about 1m apart and have the tarp suspended from the two trees in the middle.

I have often used bunk bed style to fit two hammocks under one tarp. You get most coverage if you pitch the tarp in A-frame mode so the best tarp would be a long hex or rectangular.

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    hennessy deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    python straps
    If you plan on doing a trip like this again I recommend the Hennessy deluxe tarp. It is 12x10, 1lb 9oz hex tarp it is about 60 bucks on amazon. My friend and I did bunk bed style and it was nice, the tarp is big enough to cook breakfast in. I'm sure that you could fit another set of bunk bed hammock,if you had the perfect set of trees. By the way, they don't sell this tarp on the Hennessy's website only on amazon's.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Me and my son used three trees... One for the heads and the other two for foot end... Then stretched a tarp over both

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Ditto what JimBeam said. My son and I found a pair of big oaks the right distance apart. One had a big fork and the other didn't. The spread was still a little too much for either of our tarps so we rigged two tarps side by side. Our rigs use CRLs so I was able to overlap the two in a pretty weather-tight configuration (one was a medum sized hex tarp, the other a stock hennessy rigged with CRL).

I've also been able to rig a pair on the same two trees in sort of a modified bunk-bed setup. It's hard on the tree straps but if you put the loop or hardware on the sides of the tree it gives a gap between the two hammocks.

I think with a little ingenuity that rigging a pair of tarps might give you a bit more flexibility than one large tarp and of course they can be used separately later.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    My go to tarp when I'm with someone else is the Hennesey Hex. It's big enough to provide wind protection on one side and a cooking area on the other side in porch mode. I've used this tarp in bunk bed style with my son, and side-by-side using trekking poles with my wife.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Goblin-Valley

I describe a side by side set up in the above thread. We were using Clark diamond fly's. They worked out well for us. Finding the right trees is the only real challenge with side by side. Using the shared pin in the middle allows for sharing space and some privacy when you want it.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling/spik
    It would depend on your daughters age. On my last trip I took my 6YO daughter and we camped on an island so I didnt want her to have the chance to get up and wonder around so I set it up bunk style. My kelty 12 was more than large enough tarp coverage and she could not get up without me knowing. I have also taken my 12YO son and found three trees that worked out well with the feet on the same tree and the head on seperate trees again the 12 ft tarp worked very well in both cases. Good luck.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Here's a pic of 2 SLD Streamliners under an SLD Winter Haven tarp with 11' RL. Front hammock is my 11 footer, my son's 10 footer is behind mine. We used 3 trees as well, large tree on the left is our head end with the straps on opposite sides of it instead of coming off the middle...... hopefully that makes sense!

IMG_20140516_164615_151.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast