Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    What you can use to get by with

And what is comfortable, hassle free and total comfort for you in your hammock is quite another... Not to mention, routinely lighter, less volume, and more breathable; all over a greater temperature range.

But Hey each hanger to their own choices... Your call.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

...and remember...

The individual sleep system is a system. There is so much more than just underinsulation. There's top insulation (bag, quilt, other) and sleepwear, for example. Each component affects the other...beef up one and you might be able to reduce another. And you, the individual, is one of the biggest variables when discussing sleep systems.

"Comfort" has many connotations, too. There's the comfort experienced laying down, the comfort of being warm, the comfort of a lighter weight pack...even convenience might be considered a measure of comfort. It might be a stretch but there's also a certain amount of comfort in a wallet that's not empty.

My own MO is to start simple and inexpensive and build from there. Which may be why, for 20° and above, I've never moved beyond a ¼" pad.

FB

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Despite what the guy who sells underquilts says , in my experience UQs, like all things in hammocking, are far from hassle free. I'm still tweaking my UQ setup and expect to do so for a while before I get it dialed.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Off-Road, I am much like you in regards to pack weight. Designing my te-wa UQ was the main goal in keeping light, low bulk, but remaining warm into the mid twenties.
    I usually keep a 3 season pack weight of 7-8lbs (base weight) and the te-wa fits nicely into the bottom of my pack in a generous stuff sack around a 1 gallon size.

I also agree, UQ's are very nice. once i tried one, i will never use a pad again. mike

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    Off-Road, I am much like you in regards to pack weight. Designing my te-wa UQ was the main goal in keeping light, low bulk, but remaining warm into the mid twenties.
    I usually keep a 3 season pack weight of 7-8lbs (base weight) and the te-wa fits nicely into the bottom of my pack in a generous stuff sack around a 1 gallon size.

I also agree, UQ's are very nice. once i tried one, i will never use a pad again. mike
    And, FWIW, Te-Wa makes a very nice product, definitely competitive with the WB Yeti or the JRB partial UQ!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Despite what the guy who sells underquilts says , in my experience UQs, like all things in hammocking, are far from hassle free. I'm still tweaking my UQ setup and expect to do so for a while before I get it dialed.
    I don't think you've tried a Yeti in that case. JRB UQ's, the flat ones at least, need a tweak or two to get the drafts minimized and loft maximized, no biggy. Once you get it tweaked, put a Blackbishop sack on the foot rope and store it all together and there is no reason to touch it anymore. I wouldn't refer to it as a hassle. Many have posted that the radial baffled Mt Washingtons require near zero adjustment.

HOWEVER, the Exped Downmat Deluxe might as well have been conceived specifically for hammock camping. It's extra wide, so gives great shoulder and hip coverage, and it has an awesome R-value for keeping your butt toasty warm. It's also really thick, meaning it can be halfway deflated and still have a lot of insulation below you, while also conforming to the hammock's shape very well. I slept in my Warbonnet Blackbird with the Downmat in the double layer all season last year, and honestly the Downmat seems like it requires LESS fiddling than underquilts.
    thats basicly what I have - I made the switch from foam mats to the exped synmat.

before I switch to quilts I plan to switch to a bridge hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I don't think you've tried a Yeti in that case. JRB UQ's, the flat ones at least, need a tweak or two to get the drafts minimized and loft maximized, no biggy. Once you get it tweaked, put a Blackbishop sack on the foot rope and store it all together and there is no reason to touch it anymore. I wouldn't refer to it as a hassle. Many have posted that the radial baffled Mt Washingtons require near zero adjustment.
    The tweaking I've experienced has less to do with down compression (all of our quilts are differentially baffled) and more to do with keeping the bloody thing in place. Slipping off the foot end, slipping down the shoulder end, popping out from under the hammock, etc etc etc....

Sure, once I've got it dialed I can put it into a blackbishop sack and keep it that way, and in fact we've already got those sacks on the hammocks, but getting to that point is far from "hassle free"

Once you've got it dialed and know how to do it, I'm sure it'll feel easy, just like pitching a hammock tarp or figuring out the right amount of sag. I wouldn't call either of those "hassle free" either, though - it's just that you've mastered the hassle once you have them figured out

Any idiot can put up a tent and throw a sleeping bag/pad inside. Getting a hammock to work right takes a bit more talent.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Any idiot can put up a tent and throw a sleeping bag/pad inside.
    One would certainly believe this to be true. However, it appears that the pop-up tents have their own hazards documented below.

Trust nobody!

Which Exped Downmat Deluxe do you use?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast