Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Saving for hammock gear

I know this will not work for everyone and some don't have need but as one who doesn't have bottomless pockets this is how I save and I hope it helps someone else get into that new gear they want a little faster.

I went to my bank and had them set me up a special savings account, every payday after all my bills and expenses are either paid or accounted for I take whatever the balance was in my checking account before my payroll deposit was made and transfer it to savings.

it surprised me how much faster money can be put up with little or no change in daily life and the added bonus is that out of guilt for having a gear account I actually put more in my regular savings as well.

I hope this helps someone and I would really like to hear how other handle it.

creek.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I did the same for my TQ...$25 a month until I had about $200 and then also asked for money for father's day and my birthday (a few days apart) and I had enough to get it. If you ever go for any kind of financial planning they love to see you have a savings account with something in it too

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I went the opposite route and use PayPal credit for items over $100. Six months no interest and like you said it was easy to come up with the extra money each week to make more than the min payment each month. I only get one thing at a time, pay it off then see what else I might want. I've kept a $0 balance for over six months now but that Hammeck portable stand with extension pole whispers a little loader each week.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Old Creek, you are very wise. The lay in a paid for hammock is always more relaxing.

Thanks to a written budget and debt free attitude, my wife has never commented on my purchases.

I do something very similar. My work offer's to put as much as you want out of your paycheck onto a debit card that they offer. I put $50 every two weeks on there. Adds up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Old Creek, you are very wise. The lay in a paid for hammock is always more relaxing.

Thanks to a written budget and debt free attitude, my wife has never commented on my purchases.
    my wife doesn't comment on my spending but about once every year or two, when she has a big want I object to of course. it works, I always shut up. there have been some purchases I wish she would have weighed in on. my best weapon is lack of interest in TV's stereos and such, I don't even own a CD player and my computer was issued to me by my employer. I would like to bite the bullet on some satellite internet but my wife wont give up her dish and if that's all it takes to make her happy I'm good with it.

2Ply,I have thought about how attractive the PayPal things look but cant bring myself to it. I don't have but one credit card, a big box hardware store card and I use it like you use PayPal, I buy on 0 interest and pay off early.

creek

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    I went the opposite route and use PayPal credit for items over $100. Six months no interest and like you said it was easy to come up with the extra money each week to make more than the min payment each month. I only get one thing at a time, pay it off then see what else I might want. I've kept a $0 balance for over six months now but that Hammeck portable stand with extension pole whispers a little loader each week.
    Good thinking...I'd have used it myself except they don't offer that to Canadians.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Dave Ramsey would be proud.

Every month I put a little something into my "camping" budget and I never need to explain my purchase then. If I am wanting a bigger ticket item, then I need to save a little over a few budgets, sell off something that's not being used, or have the discussion at budget time to see how we can make it work. Happy wife, happy life.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Awesome! That's a good way to save. I've been doing that for childcare, which hasn't started yet. It will drain pretty quick once it does, but that's life.

I've never done it for gear, but really try hard not to go overboard. Sometimes I'll sell an older piece of gear to make up for it. Hammockgear quilts are definitely something I don't regret buying, even when I took the "buy first ask questions later" attitude. 3+ years later, I don't miss that $1000 worth of quilts even though that's a lot of money. They served me well on many trips, and will continue to do so. Pretty soon the cost per night will be a few dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Awesome! That's a good way to save. I've been doing that for childcare, which hasn't started yet. It will drain pretty quick once it does, but that's life.

I've never done it for gear, but really try hard not to go overboard. Sometimes I'll sell an older piece of gear to make up for it. Hammockgear quilts are definitely something I don't regret buying, even when I took the "buy first ask questions later" attitude. 3+ years later, I don't miss that $1000 worth of quilts even though that's a lot of money. They served me well on many trips, and will continue to do so. Pretty soon the cost per night will be a few dollars!
    I agree, money well spent. I am a tradesman in the south, wages have been low here until very recently and would still be low but it seems these young folks have loftier goals so the talent pool is shrinking. I have always made do my whole life and now that the debt is lower and the kiddy is gone ( though I probably spend more on my grandkids ) I flat out refuse to be wet, cold or miserable to save a buck or two. it may take longer but as you say it will average out. my oldest grandson and me went on a early spring weekend trip and invited a friend who didn't have an under quilt, he of course woke up freezing off and on both nights..... I was that guy for the first 50 some odd years of my life, I don't miss it.

creek.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast