diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

hammock camping with a dog

Comment retracted. Woke up in the wrong side of the bed. Should have slept in my hammock.
    Last edited by brianb; 10-04-2015 at 06:21.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Dogs make good foot warmers too.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use a Fronkey style bug net but leave the bottom open so it hangs to the ground. With his bag under the hammock Buddy is surrounded by the netting and has room to move around.

Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Harper Creek camp.jpg

I have a Walker hound who goes with me. I use a small tent to give a place to bunk down and a bit of weather protection. The picture shows the green tent. It comes from an outing this spring in early April. Temps got down to the low 40s and the tent gave him a bit of warmth. Ben carries the tent in a dog backpack along with his food. Last October before the tent I took him on an overnighter when temps got to 34. Too cold for him to bed down under my hammock on a bed of leaves so I put him in my hammock. Wasn't too bad but I've decided the tent best. When I needed to respond to the call of nature, figuring out what to do with Ben in the hammock took a moment. He got off leash and took off for a run. Wasn't much fun trying to grab him and not wake the group at the AT shelter I had hung at. Tent would have overcome this.

you folks sure have some good looking dogs.

@JSH, how did you come by the walker hound?? I have owned a lot of hounds, mostly walkers but I rarely see one as a pet.

creek

Quote Originally Posted by signguy View Post
    I can't imagine owning a dog I had to worry about running off-
    If you love them set them free and if they leave well-
    There are good dogs and there are people who should stick with cats.
    not only will my Great Pyrenees run off he will also drag you with him if he wants at something bad enough. I have had cats that would run off too, for weeks in some cases. personally I like a critter with some personality, even in a horse I prefer one that not just anybody cant straddle.

creek

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I have owned dogs in the past that can't control their need to chase things, so I certainly understand that perspective. My current dog, a Boykin Spaniel, is not one of those dogs that I worry about running off. He is a bird hunter through and through and loves to retrieve, but he is very obedient and loyal. He won't leave my side to chase something unless I tell him to. He may bark once or twice and want to chase whatever rabbit or bird is nearby but he won't do it unless I give permission. Part of that is training, but mostly it is breeding. His breeding makes him want to stay close and please his master more than anything. I've taken him on several backpacking trips over the last three years and, while I always have a lead to tie him off if necessary, I find I don't need to worry about it with this dog. He sleeps under my hammock, keeping watch, all night long. It certainly makes the decision of whether to take him along an easy one. I do understand, however, that not every dog has the same disposition. Hopefully, every owner understands his/her own dog enough to be prepared for the circumstances you will encounter with a dog in the woods, but it certainly won't be the same for every dog or every person. Best of luck in getting your dogs in the woods.

I would not take the GP on a busy trail, he has not been around strange dogs and few people. I have never seen him aggressive toward people but he showed a scary kind of interest in a friend of mine and he is extremely aggressive toward other dogs, except for the yorkie and a neighbors beagle that he grew up around. his pack arrived today so he will be my guardian in the river bottoms, don't know how much good it will do because he is nearly completely deaf. I also have a couple of treeing feists and I am considering taking the younger one some trips, her breeding makes her a little hyper but I hope she will learn we are walking and not hunting after a few long trips.

creek

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    Can't wait to take my dog out. Get your pets out people!

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelMike View Post
    Get your pets out people!
    Took my Wheaten Terrier out to Fish lake, Utah. This breed is herder and hunter of small game. She loves to greet people so you have watch and might try to run down outdoor critters. Lightning is no friend to this breed will bolt into the van. Had her in my hammock but tends to overheat. Upper campsites we stay is normally empty so she is free to enjoy but keep an eye out she might try to run down that deer. Well behaved will sleep at sunset till sunrise.

My name is Daisy and love the outdoors can't wait for the AZ hang
    image.jpeg
    Ok folks keep up
    image.jpeg
    Don't like rain or lightning but safe
    image.jpeg
    Fish Lake
    image.jpeg
    This is the life
    image.jpeg
    Nice view we had
    image.jpeg
    Cedar Breaks NM
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 10-06-2015 at 20:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast