Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I was just raising the issue.
    And thank you for that...I was hoping you or someone might have a suggestion on how to deal with it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Maybe keep a sticky of the all who have received an item, along with the date?

Could be refreshed yearly.

Though, I do kind of enjoy the excitement of the giveaways and the randomness, but not everyone wants to go through all the work behind it.

As far as what they do with the product afterwards, who cares?

And if it's limited to one item per year or so, they're not gonna make much money anyway. And they probably won't even sell it because they'll just wait to claim an item that they really desire.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    You can't prevent everyone from doing something everywhere, but you might can prevent some from doing it here. It might would just have to be on a "Hey, I gave you that" kind of catch system, but the penalty could be removal from participation if caught doing it on HF at least.

Images
    I really like your idea dkurfiss of a Karma Market replacing the PIF. I think there should be a limit on how many items one member can claim per year.
    I would like to see minimal moderation by the mod team and more self moderated by the membership. If someone is exploiting the market place they should be reported and
    then the forum mods can get involved.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I am relatively new to the forum, but one of the things that has blown me away is the generosity of the members. Not just the gear giveaways, but the free advice, and offers to help newbies. One would hope that the people on this site would not abuse a system like the one you propose, but who knows.
    I agree with a set limit idea, and also maybe you have to offer up items in order to claim items. Not really a barter so much as you have to contribute in order to benefit.
    Don't have a clue as to how that could be tracked-I'm fairly computer illiterate.

I think self policing plus a limit on claims will solve most potential issues.

Good idea, but I think the proposed name would violate the terms of service of the forum. Karma is a tenet of Buddhism and having it listed would violate tos with respect to mentioning religion in any posts.

Images
    I get that the PIF area has turned into a dead zone. A better question might be as to why that has happened. I know for me personally, I quit looking and using it because a) it was the same type of stuff over and over again b) I kept seeing that to follow the format of the site was too hard to follow for many folks and c) like Gresh mentioned, it was really just a barter market. Not in the spirit of pay it forward in my humble opinion.

As far as this new concept, the thought of self moderation makes me shudder. Why do we have moderators on a forum to begin with. The obvious answer is, well, obvious. If we can't self moderate on large issues we're gonna be useless on small issues and topics. There will be those who might, and I'll include myself here in the spirit of transparency, feel the urge to be the karma cops and scream at every infraction, real or perceived. It all just devolves into a mob hanging rather the group hangs we enjoy.

Suggestions: Let the PIF die if it is indeed a dead zone. Don't go down this road either. If someone wants to give something away, just keep it simple and let 'em. Let the giver set the parameters. First claim, name in pot, whatever. The point is, those of us who enjoy giving are gonna give. There will be takers in a negative vein but givers give because they like it. Not to build karma, or good vibes, or eternal brownie points. If ever there was a spot for the KISS method, this would be it.

I too am impressed and grateful for requested feedback, and I appreciate the ridiculous balancing act moderators have to negotiate. You may not get it right all the time but your there on the line taking the shots. Gotta respect that.

I'll be interested to see where this goes. Warming up the popcorn for the donnybrook to ensue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Good idea, but I think the proposed name would violate the terms of service of the forum. Karma is a tenet of Buddhism and having it listed would violate tos with respect to mentioning religion in any posts.
    +1 with milk out my nose laughing. Well played sir, well played.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Everything he said
    I'm in agreement with DaddyDaddy. Things die for a reason. The idea of the Karma market, while good intentioned, is really just a different side of the same coin. I thin it'd be better to just have a giveaway subforum or something of the like that would allow people to give away what they want on their terms. If they want people to hop on one foot while singing America the Beautiful with sparklers hanging out of their ears for a CF tarp...well...I'll be at the front of the list...er..I mean, elt them. There will always be those who want to genuine pass a good deed forward just as there will always be those who are in need of something and don't necessary have the means, knowledge, or capability of getting it.

And thank you for asking for feedback. It's nice to have a general concensus instead of a top-down approach to moderating on something like this.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast