DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images

Skyline to Sea Trail - Big Basin- Any recent trips?

Considering this next weekend. Sept 4 - 7 2015. Anyone been on this trail recently, have some feedback?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Beautiful walk, but they (the State) want you to reserve a camping space...Lots of different micro climates--chapparel, redwoods, coastal. You'll love it.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Beautiful walk, but they (the State) want you to reserve a camping space...Lots of different micro climates--chapparel, redwoods, coastal. You'll love it.
    Have you had any issues hanging your hammock? I am talking to them about booking sunset and twin redwoods.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Last time I hiked it was years ago...BHT (Before Hammock Time), so don't know.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    this is probably too late, but...

we did Skyline to Sea trail last month. i took my gf's 14 year old. his first backpacking trip ever. he's been a Camper. so here i was teaching him about pace and prioritizing the Hike.

when we got to Big Basin they said hammocks are forbidden! and it was in print during the check-in process...so not just the idea of the teenage douchelord at the counter, who made us wait FOUR hours for checkin, despite there being a hundred open sites (per his co-workers). nowhere does this appear on the website or reservations site.

so we take to the trail, planning to just stealth camp along the route. civil disobedience, then, was to be my lesson.

but, no.

the kid decided just to push on. do another 11 miles in the dark. he was infuriated at the injustice and could not be calmed except through the exertion. so we walked on. god love him, he made it almost the whole way...though there was a minor meltdown right near the campground...which we recovered from. so we settled there in a designated backcountry camp, worried now about being caught out without reservation. i think we missed the prettiest portion of the trail in the dark.

but it all worked out. we high-tailed it out early, my youthful companion taking the lead. we charged the last 2 miles to the beach on a glorious morning. the trail comes out of the woods above a pastoral farming valley and winds its way through the final gap, revealing a sweeping vista - the great Pacific! he flew down the hill, barely missing a couple of king snakes.

but when we got to the ocean we found ourselves 6 hours early for our rendezvous with his mother (our ride home). i couldn't very well teach him to hitchhike out...so i found us a gulley that had chapparal strong enough to hold our hammocks and we catnapped just under the usual sunny, windy, sandstorm.

so it worked out. and it always does, doesn't it? but you all should know: Big Basin is off-limits to hammocks

• + New Posts