Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Your new JRB Hood should work well with the Frog Sac.
    The JRB hood also works well with his PeaPod.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Bring an additional top quilt. For temps below 50 you WILL need it to fill in the large open air space caused by the hammock sides keeping the Pea Pod from settling down over you.

Steve
    I use the peapod successfully down to freezing with no top quilt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I use the peapod successfully down to freezing with no top quilt.
    Do you use a relatively narrow hammock, which allows the pod to pretty much lay down in contact- or nearly so- with your body? What kind of clothing do you wear? I have also got by at 27*F--- high 30s with no TQ. However, I had a narrow Claytor No net and down vest and very light weight PG hooded jacket and pants. Which worked quite well to close off leakage of warm air. Especially when I put them on backwards with front zippers open and towards my back, believe it or not. I was OK, but I was glad it didn't drop to the teens. But, I could have added a hot water bottle for a little help.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    It's a speer style DIY hammock, normal 5 foot width. But when whipping the ends, I didn't pull the edges tighter, meaning that it doesn't cocoon me as much.
    I hang the peapod with a little more space between it and the hammock. I then pull the sides of the peapod up, gathering the "extra" material into the hammock with me. If that makes sense. This gives me the insulation right against my skin. I don't have to keep hold of it, incase my description is unclear.

I wear a beanie and light fleece top when using it like this.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear
    Your new JRB Hood should work well with the Frog Sac.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The JRB hood also works well with his PeaPod.
    You guys have my plan figured out. Hammock, peapod and frog sac by Speer, then add one little item from JRB, and Voila! Toasty on Mt. Rogers!

But there's more... I have those down booties from the REI Garage Sale, and next week, I will inspect a Speer Top Quilt, thanks to a friend.

Last year, I was the one in the HH + SS below 20*F. This year, I won't have to wear so much clothing!

It is supposed to be a hard winter...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    You guys have my plan figured out. Hammock, peapod and frog sac by Speer, then add one little item from JRB, and Voila! Toasty on Mt. Rogers!
    ...I will inspect a Speer Top Quilt...
    Interesting.

Ed designed the Speer TopBlanket for use not just as a top blanket inside the PeaPod, but also for use as an extra liner layer inside the bottom to extend it's range. A PeaPod, a TopBlanket Liner, a FrogSac as Top Quilt, and a JRB hood....all together that's a recipe for cold fighting.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    How about a thin space blanket carefully laid between the TQ Liner and the hammock?

I suppose the option to use the Speer TQ as a PeaPod liner is why it's relatively narrow, eh?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    How about a thin space blanket carefully laid between the TQ Liner and the hammock?
    That should be very effective, but I've never actually done it. I do believe BillyBob58 has, though.

I suppose the option to use the Speer TQ as a PeaPod liner is why it's relatively narrow, eh?
    That, and since most underquilts like the SnugFit (or PeaPods) wrap around your shoulders, less 'tuck' coverage is needed. That does limit using the TopBlanket for 'go to ground' use.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    that 'less tuck coverage is needed' comment is very important. I use Nunatak quilts as top quilts in the hammock and over the years I've discovered that because of the less tuck coverage needed that even the smaller quilts by nunatak work and more importantly work beyond their stated temp range....plus I wear camp clothes to sleep which gives an added boost.

Images

- MacEntyre
    That SB, with nothing else under the hammock, was enough to get me through the night at 11*F, though I'm not sure I could have done 10*. On top was warm clothing and a summer bag-- no problems.

I used that same SB on the week long trip to the winds even when I didn't need it, never got below 27*F. But after one week with some snow/sleet/ rain, the loft was full, no hint of moisture. Actually, I used all kinds of stuff underneath on that trip, on a theory that maybe if I was extra warm below, it would help me on top. Sense I had no top quilt. So I would throw dry rain gear, pack towels, any thing I wasn't wearing, down in the pod. Plus a leg pad sometimes, if not in the foot section of the hammock. Guess it worked, I was never cold. Though I didn't do any of that on the first night, which was the coldest night, and I was right on the edge of not warm enough. A top quilt would have been nice luxury. But I was toasty on all following nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast