Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images

Sowing Machine!

I do not have one and I really would like to make a few things with one. Does anyone know whether I can rent one from some place. Or go somewhere. Or should I just find a friend who has a sowing machine?
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    I do not have one and I really would like to make a few things with one. Does anyone know whether I can rent one from some place. Or go somewhere. Or should I just find a friend who has a sowing machine?
    Craigslist is a great place to look for a sewing machine...
    ebay too
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    find a friend is cheapest. also you will get help and instruction.
    thrift store is also cheap, but availability is limited, depending on your neighborhood.
    ebay is always there, but any purchase will probably need service- look for items close enough to arrange pick up.
    sewing machine sales place that also does tuneups and repair will have (or know of) used machines for sale.
    last choice is to buy new- go for quality if you can find/afford it; you might be using the machine frequently for many years.
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Sowing Machine"... you looking for a seed planter? or do you want to be able to place seedlings?

I am very conservative when it comes to purchasing sewing machines or thread intectors. I don't like to buy a pig in a poke. My advice is to work with a sewing center in the local area. The machines are serviced and usually carry a limited warranty for a couple of months anyway. Craigslist and ebay are fine IF you know something about sewing machines to start with and are willing to get it serviced after you buyit. My suspicion is you'd lose most of what you would save having the servicing done and then there would be no warranty to go with it. You also have made a contact in the local area where you can get help if you need it and any parts or accessories that you might want.

Now glomming your mother's machine out of the linen closet is a whole different issue. There it doesn't cost any thing and the service is your major expense.

For making gear the only thing you _need_ is a forward straight stitch. Reverse is nice to have but not absolutely essential. Zig Zag is useful but for the most part entirely optional. There are lots of really good older machines floating around. As far as new machines are concerned... If you can afford to drop the coin to get a really high quality machine fine. But that's a major expense for what most people would use it for.

If you go into the sewing center and tell them what you want to do they will be able to provide some good guidance.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    "Sowing Machine"... you looking for a seed planter? or do you want to be able to place seedlings?
    Haha I meant to change that. Sorry!

But thank you everyone! I'll try the cheapest approach for not just visit a friend. But if I find myself wanting to do more DIY stuff because you guys continuously inspire me, well, I shall buy one.

For now I'm trying to figure out how i can combine an ENO with some netting, make a ridge line and set it up.
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    You can get a ney Brothers sewing machine at walmart for about $50. I have made rain suits to under quilts with it. Even comes with a DVD on how to use it.

I dont know about brothers. They get mixed reviews. Spend a few extra bucks and get a kenmore or other better macine. Also a top quality used machine should be cheap.

I got my Kenmore on sale for $80 and its a good one. A professional machine like a Juki is like night and day compared to even the better normal machines, but they are very very expensive.

Hammock
    DIY
    I am using a treadle(footpowered) sewing machine for my projects. dosnt require a plugin and it runs off coffee or rock star energy drinks heh.
    the thing is built like a tank i can even sew all the way up to leather!

all it has is a straight forward stitch but I can manually backup to tie in the ends so they do not come out. works great!

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I 2nd the Kenmore on a good cheep machine. Many projects were made with mine,,, But, I would like to get a better, heavy duty sewing machine one day...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I dont know about brothers. They get mixed reviews. Spend a few extra bucks and get a kenmore or other better macine. Also a top quality used machine should be cheap.

I got my Kenmore on sale for $80 and its a good one. A professional machine like a Juki is like night and day compared to even the better normal machines, but they are very very expensive.
    Kenmore = Sears. I wouldn't cross the street to spit on one. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast