Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    Diy speer winter t
    Insulation
    Mummy bag cacoon
    Suspension
    Amsteel, webbing

Light duty cargo tie downs real breaking strength?

Ok for explication, I don't plane on using any of the metal on the cargo tie downs. Just the webbing. So I am questioning the real breaking strength and working loads on the 1" webbing that is in the typical wall-mart "el cheepo" webbing. I even plan on sewing in eye loops in the tree end making a form of tree hugger. And possibly using marlin spikes on hammock side.

Other than a possible week point of my stiching the eye loop, I am wondering most tie downs show a break strength of around 400lbs. Is the 400lb the webbing or part of the metal ratchet?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl. & hk2001
    Tarp
    MLD cuben, WB Edge
    Insulation
    yeti, crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies, bulltape
    Should be fine. They might stretch more than a quality strap or mule tape. I'd just tie a larks head instead of sewing for simplicity and strength.
    Tonight I'm howlin' at a foreign moon, might as well be a junkie's spoon.

John Hiatt

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    I used those for my first summer! Both the metal hooks and then cut them off and hand sewn loops on both ends. Never broke or gave out, still use for hanging the "friend" hammock. Little stretch, but you should be fine!

Specifically, i had the kind with the stripe in the middle. I think it's a polyester stripe in the nylon webbing, but i can't be sure.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    Diy speer winter t
    Insulation
    Mummy bag cacoon
    Suspension
    Amsteel, webbing
    I have a set that I use that is the Sam's Club special x4 pack that I have cut and sewn. Long and thin 1" and I also have cut a 2" tow webbing into tree huggers. It was rated up near 10,000lb.

But I don't like how the 2" is heavier and takes up more space in my bag.

I am using the amsteel 1/8? It's not 7/64 I know that. I had 7/64 because I remember saying 1600lb break. And the new is big and either 2500lb or 5200lb. That part I can't remember. But either way I am using that amsteel as both ridge line and main suspension. Webbing is mostly for tree hugger portion. Just looking if sticking to the lighter 1" Sam's Club special is worth it or stick to the 2" heavy duty. The only down side with the 2" I cut them to short and I have been in a situation where they didn't fit around one tree once. I didn't have any back up straps and had to go find another spot to hang.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It may or may not be the same thing as your straps, but I have been hanging for almost 5 years on the same straps I modified.

Walmart Light Duty Cargo straps. 2x 12' black Lashing. 500 lbs Break Strength, 167lbs Load Limit. They were $5 then. Now they come in OD green as well as black and are now $6.

I removed the thread for the loop and took off the buckles, cut the straps in half and sewed 1 loop in each end. This gave me 4x 6' straps. There is only a little signs of wear. I used this with carabiner on the loop, MSH and Whoopies until last Autumn when I switched to ADutchable Clips and Dutch Speed Hooks.

The straps have only a little bit of stretch when fully extended, but I used the MSH at the tree and the Whoopies to adjust length whenever possible and now use the ADutchable Clip to adjust the strap length and have the Amsteel lead as close to the tree whenever possible. The strap is mostly for just the tree + a few inches.

Remember, just because it has worked for me for so long doesn't mean it won't fail soon, or even my 2nd set may fail soon. Or your set may not work as well or maybe better....

HYOH, YMMV and all that. Happy hanging to you.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Break strength of 400lb does not cut it. Just say no. At the optimum 30 degree hang angle each side sees the equivalent of your weight. At 15 degrees it sees close to double that. In other words, if you are 200lbs and hanging at a 15 degree angle on 400lb break strength webbing, expect to fall. That is with static loading and ignoring dynamic effects which just make the situation worse.

That one reason why we like to get to a safety factor of 5. If you're 200lbs and intending to hang at the optimum 30 degree angle, you want to specify a breaking strength of 1000lbs. That allows you to screw up with your hang angle, bounce in a little harder than expected, not worry about UV degradation, or mild use-related abrasion etc; without fear of the ground.

Unless you're trying to make several sets of straps on a tight budget (and even then, there are better options than 400lb webbing), it's difficult beat the value in the straps available from the cottage vendors here. You'll find low-stretch webbing known to have >1000lb break strength (1" poly typically 1500lbs, 1" kevlar 2000lbs) for very little more cost than you're paying at Walmart. Dutch even sells 2" polyester straps now for you folk in Florida and other places with 2" requirements.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I used a pair of Walmartian cargo straps with the cinch buckles cut off for my first few hangs. They work fine and didn't stretch too much. They do seem to take a beating, every little snag on your hardware or the tree starts to fray and unravel the webbing. As long as you inspect them before each use they might last you an entire season if your careful. I bought some heavier duty webbing, it only cost me $10 in webbing but worth it for the peace of mind.

[...]week point of my stiching the eye loop[...]
    Unless you need every fiber in length from your webbing just tie a loop in the end. No stitching required. (example)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    ... Dutch even sells 2" polyester straps now for you folk in Florida and other places with 2" requirements.
    The qualifier is Florida State Parks that require the 2" straps. National Forests like Ocala National Forest (home of the Great and Awesome- Annual Florida Hang ) and water management districts are fine with 1" straps.

Quote Originally Posted by jsorensen View Post
    I used a pair of Walmartian cargo straps with the cinch buckles cut off for my first few hangs. They work fine and didn't stretch too much. They do seem to take a beating, every little snag on your hardware or the tree starts to fray and unravel the webbing. As long as you inspect them before each use they might last you an entire season if your careful. I bought some heavier duty webbing, it only cost me $10 in webbing but worth it for the peace of mind...
    Great point right here. Always inspect your gear especially your suspension before and after you hang from them no matter what you use. Also, doing this and being careful not to try Shug's hammarobics in my hammock has allowed me to use mine for 5 seasons and counting. YMMV.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Strapworks has some good deals on a variety of webbing. If you're not really picky about the colors they occasionally have some even better deals in their "bargain" area. At around 0.20/ft getting some cheap ratchet straps, cutting off the buckles and such really isn't that great of a deal compared with just buying some webbing of your choice.

http://www.strapworks.com/Lightweigh...ene_p/lwp2.htm

I've been using the same set of straps for a number of years and made a couple of sets for friends. While the machine is out just sew a loop in both ends. Then you can swap ends (probably at random) to kind of spread out the wear and tear over the full length instead of just one end.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Ratchet straps are typically made of nylon, polyester, or sometimes polypropylene. Of the three, polyester stretches the least. I would make sure to look for polyester straps. The majority of ratchet straps on the market are probably nylon, but there are definitely polyester ones out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast