Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

KAQ Insulation Weight

Greetings

What is the insulation weight that is used in the KAQs? I am looking at other synthetic insulation options and want to have a basis for valid comparison.

Thanks

Brian

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Brian sorry to take so long to get back to you. Been slammed with orders today. Lot of gear on its way out! the Climashield that I received from John is mostly all the 5 oz XP. but I think there is a little bit of the Climashield Green in the pile as well (might be mistaken though.) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Brian sorry to take so long to get back to you. Been slammed with orders today. Lot of gear on its way out! the Climashield that I received from John is mostly all the 5 oz XP. but I think there is a little bit of the Climashield Green in the pile as well (might be mistaken though.) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul
    Wow, customer service at its best. Apologizing for taking 7 hours (a few minutes less) to post a response to a forum question. It's great to hear that you are busy with your new business venture.

One more question. Are the KAQs with the 5oz Climashield XP (I assume 1 layer per quilt) considered a 3 season quilt? I know temp ratings are subjective and also dependent on the top quilt and other insulating clothing worn by the user. That being said what is the temp rating for the KAQs with the 5oz XP insulation?

Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well based off of the details John gave me on his experiences with the KAQ line either quilt should get most users into the 30's. But you are right people and conditions vary so...YMMV. I have not had the chance yet to get out and test one, but hope to be able to soon.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BW:
    I have one of MrPrez's last run of KAQ's and I have been down to lower 40's in mine. I used a small fleece blanket as a top cover. There was about a 5 mph wind most of the night and 85% humidity. I was wearing cotton socks, ss cotton t-shirt and sweatpant shorts to sleep in. I was also in a Clark NX-200, and was comfortable through the night.

I hope this helps............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Brian- My KAQ 5 oz goes down to 30* comfortably. With my add on layer of 2.5 oz climashield 20 degrees. 20 mph and raining. Lt weight long johns top and bottom, wool hiking socks and a knit hat. -lee

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I used mine down to 16*F with a vapor barrier between it and the hammock. You could add more to it than that. It works especially well to extend the HH SS.

It may be the easiest 3 season UQ to extend into the 4th season!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I used mine down to 16*F with a vapor barrier between it and the hammock. You could add more to it than that. It works especially well to extend the HH SS.

It may be the easiest 3 season UQ to extend into the 4th season!

- MacEntyre
    Mac,
    How would you setup the SS and the KAQ? I.e. would the KAQ be the outer layer or would it go between the hammock and the SS under cover.
    When setting up this configureation would you still use the OCF pad that is part of the SS?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    How would you setup the SS and the KAQ? I.e. would the KAQ be the outer layer or would it go between the hammock and the SS under cover.
    I have done it both ways. The easiest way is to rig the SS, then add the KAQ below it.

If you put the KAQ inside the SS UC, it helps if you have cut the elastic of the BEEP, like you would if you converted to a top loading HH via a 2Q/ZQ Bugnet Mod. You have to fuss with the UC suspension to eliminate any compression of the KAQ by the UC. I would not do it this way unless you needed the UC as a splash guard in heavy, cold rain.

At the time I was using both the SS and the KAQ, I kept the SS with the hammock in a Bishop Bag, and stored the KAQ separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    When setting up this configureation would you still use the OCF pad that is part of the SS?
    Yes. The OCF pad, because it is tightly fitted, should be the first thing underneath the hammock. Everything but the hammock goes under it.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I have done it both ways. The easiest way is to rig the SS, then add the KAQ below it.

If you put the KAQ inside the SS UC, it helps if you have cut the elastic of the BEEP, like you would if you converted to a top loading HH via a 2Q/ZQ Bugnet Mod. You have to fuss with the UC suspension to eliminate any compression of the KAQ by the UC. I would not do it this way unless you needed the UC as a splash guard in heavy, cold rain.

At the time I was using both the SS and the KAQ, I kept the SS with the hammock in a Bishop Bag, and stored the KAQ separately.

Yes. The OCF pad, because it is tightly fitted, should be the first thing underneath the hammock. Everything but the hammock goes under it.

THANKS !
    I recently bought a KAQ from another HF member in my area and I haven't tried it out yet. But it's nice to know that I have several configuration options.

• + New Posts