Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

Do your fleaz slip?

I bought some fleaz to use on my tarp and they kept slipping. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have 1.75 lash it on each end with a Ti Dutch hook to clip around tree. Then I have my fleaz on a continuous loop on the D-ring of tarp. I bring the line from the tree to the fleaz and wrap it up per directions(I have wasps and tarp flyz so I know how they work). When I went to the other end to pull it up tight, the side I just hooked up would slip from under the wing, the only way it wouldn't slip was if I put a half hitch in it. Which isn't a big deal but my wasps and flyz didn't do this! Am I doing something wrong? I was doing this this past weekend and I didn't get pictures but thought I would ask the question.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I think that the best thing to do is to take a photo of how you have them strung up, so that we can see if it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I bought some fleaz to use on my tarp and they kept slipping. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have 1.75 lash it on each end with a Ti Dutch hook to clip around tree. Then I have my fleaz on a continuous loop on the D-ring of tarp. I bring the line from the tree to the fleaz and wrap it up per directions(I have wasps and tarp flyz so I know how they work). When I went to the other end to pull it up tight, the side I just hooked up would slip from under the wing, the only way it wouldn't slip was if I put a half hitch in it. Which isn't a big deal but my wasps and flyz didn't do this! Am I doing something wrong? I was doing this this past weekend and I didn't get pictures but thought I would ask the question.
    If you put a half hitch on the first one and then the second one holds fine when you snug things up, I can only guess you're simply not getting the Lash It jammed enough under the wing on the first Fleaz. I'd try grabbing the D ring and pulling firmly on the Lash It in the opposite direction before going to the other end. I wonder if it's simply the smaller piece of hardware that makes things more difficult to get the Lash It set(?) I'm also thinking that with the normal use of Flyz, you would go from the D ring, around the tree and back to the Flyz and the pressure on the working end is halved so it has less of a tendency to slip if not well seated. And Wasps seem to almost always be used as the final step in snugging things up so you would never encounter the problem in that scenario.

Just me trying to visualize things and offer some insight.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    You may have one that is just a little loose. We send in between the wing and the body and then bend the wing down. You can easily bend the wing down a bit if it is loose. If it breaks, i will replace it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You may have one that is just a little loose. We send in between the wing and the body and then bend the wing down. You can easily bend the wing down a bit if it is loose. If it breaks, i will replace it.
    I love catching these little snippets of how Dutch makes his gear.

I'd be awesome to have a "How It's Made, Dutchware Edition." (If this already exists, links, please!!!)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    A picture would greatly help.

Also, sounds like your using the Dutch Fleaz the way a Dutch Flyz would be used to give mechanical advantage to rig up the tarp RL. If this is the case, the Dutch Fleaz may not hold up to the stresses of cranking on the RL like a Dutch Flyz does.

I use a Fleaz like a Flyz for my RL and found that it did slip a little. To fix this, I put an extra loop around the body of the Fleaz after positioning it to keep it from slipping. Then go around the tree and back to the Fleaz. Pull to however tight I want the RL and set the position by wrapping around the wing the normal way. I always put a half hitch just to shorten the line to keep it off the ground.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    A picture would greatly help.

Also, sounds like your using the Dutch Fleaz the way a Dutch Flyz would be used to give mechanical advantage to rig up the tarp RL. If this is the case, the Dutch Fleaz may not hold up to the stresses of cranking on the RL like a Dutch Flyz does.

I use a Fleaz like a Flyz for my RL and found that it did slip a little. To fix this, I put an extra loop around the body of the Fleaz after positioning it to keep it from slipping. Then go around the tree and back to the Fleaz. Pull to however tight I want the RL and set the position by wrapping around the wing the normal way. I always put a half hitch just to shorten the line to keep it off the ground.
    But the OP has the Fleaz tethered to the tarp and is simply running the Lash It as a single line from the tree; It's simply looped around the tree like a miniature suspension tree strap.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    But the OP has the Fleaz tethered to the tarp and is simply running the Lash It as a single line from the tree; It's simply looped around the tree like a miniature suspension tree strap.
    Ha. That's why I was having trouble picturing this in my head.

OK. Disregard everything I posted.

It's too late for me, I should go home and to bed. Feeling a bit loopy from the long day.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I have 2 of my tarps done this way and have not had any slippage issues with my fleaz. I would try Dutch's suggestion and report back to us. I mean he might have just a little knowledge in this area and he's willing to back it up. I think it's this level of customer service that keeps us all coming back. Well and then there is all the Ti bling too, but I'm getting off track.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I will try this, the gap does look bigger than on the wasp or flyz I have. I love how tiny these things are! Thanks everyone for the help. I will try it out this weekend and report back!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast