Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Hmmmm.... remember the old three-log stool seat? It was just a triangluar piece of heavy canvas with a pocket on each corner. You took three pieces of wood the same length and tied them together in the center. Put one end of the wood in the pocket and the other on the ground to form the stool.

I'm wondering if a tripod could be formed using exiting materials and rope to hold one or both ends of a hammock in areas where hammocking is prohibited where the trees are suitable (like the GSMNP)
    You would still have to anchor out the far side of each tripod to keep them from being pulled in. A tripod's strength comes from supporting the weight vertically and downward through the center of the tripod and equally between the three legs.

I think you would have the same success just using two poles since you have to anchor out anyway.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    My rig for one end is similar to GrizzlyAdams but uses 2 ash staves about 1" in diameter (some old karate bo's I happened to have) lashed together with some 1/8" braided nylon rope and a 16" orange plastic stake from Home Depot.

I forgot in my first response to mention that the base of the staves is angled toward the hammock to put them in compression. I suspect they'd snap like a twig if the force of all my bulk was applied laterally like GrizzlyAdams' picture shows.

Some day I may try putting together something like the anchorhammock rig using kee-klamp fittings and aluminum tubing. I'm not sure that I'd save any money over purchasing their rig and certainly not any weight.
    Last edited by sk8rs_dad; 05-29-2007 at 09:09. Reason: Added important info...

Thanks Y'all !

Thanks for all the help everyone! Why aren't all the people I work with 1/2 as friendly as the folks on the hiker forums? The week would go a lot smoother. . . . . . .

I fear we've drifted off topic for this forum. Maybe we should open something up in the 'Homemade Gear Discussion'? I don't want to get the Mod mad at me before I even meet him/her. BTW is Just Jeff the Mod here? I'm losing track being on too many sites for my own good.

Griz

I was over on WhiteBlaze some time back and found someone with a setup very similar to yours. I saved the pix, but like a big dumby, I didn't save who it was. Maybe one of you folks.

His was made with top rails from chainlink fence instead of 2 x 4's. This gives you the ability to splice the uprights like shock corded tent poles, though I don't guess I'd bother with cords. This is crucial for me since I'm wanting to put the whole mess in the trunk of my Stratus. If I can figure out how to attach the pix I'll put them right below. I'm new to participating in forums.

Hammocks-Portable Pipe Stand-100_0450.JPG

Hammocks-Portable Pipe Stand-100_0454.JPG

Looks like they made it. The two bits on the left side of the close-up are the splices. He hadn't gotten around to using them when the pictures were taken.

I agree that the doggie stakes are going to be the limiting factor to a setup like this. We've got a lot of clay in the soil at the lakes near town, and it is certainly compacted.

Dino

I'm afraid Stoikurt's got the tripod thing nailed. The 3rd leg would just lift right off the ground unless the members were big as good sized trees. I does remind me of a bamboo stand I saw posted 'who-knows-where'. It had 2 lashed vees, about like we already have here, then a cross piece resting on top of the lashings. It looks just like a kids swing set.

I was just going to insert the pic, but it looks like you can only insert attachments once per posting. You get the idea though.

Sk8rs Dad

I'd never heard of Kee Klamp before. I just googled the term and found the site. Wow! I didn't see anything quite right to DIY an AnchorHammock stand, but what cool stuff this is. My mind's whirring like a kid with his first erector set. Great stuff.

Thanks again

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz-sie View Post
    I didn't see anything quite right to DIY an AnchorHammock stand, but what cool stuff this is.
    Thanks again
    Try 4 LB54 adjustable elbows for each of the bending points, and 4 pieces of aluminum pipe about 8 feet long, which could be made in 4 foot segments with L14 couplings. The only problem is the minimum pipe diameter is beefier than needed if you're looking to minimize weight.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz-sie View Post

I was over on WhiteBlaze some time back and found someone with a setup very similar to yours....

His was made with top rails from chainlink fence instead of 2 x 4's. This gives you the ability to splice the uprights like shock corded tent poles, though I don't guess I'd bother with cords. This is crucial for me since I'm wanting to put the whole mess in the trunk of my Stratus.
    very cool rig. If you weren't up to drilling holes through metal (I'm not!) then lashing at the top as per sk8rs_dad's solution would do the job nicely. Let's hear it for Pioneering merit badge skills!

I need only to haul my 2x4s from garage to yard for my use. If I had to pack such a thing into a car trunk I'd create a 6' leg by bolting together two 3.5' legs, with a 1' overlap and a couple of sturdy bolts. <grin> Would have that advant garde DIY look we cultivate around here. </grin>

Grizz

Homemade Aura

Griz

"Very cool rig."

It certainly IS cool. I'm gonna have to make it someday.

"Let's hear it for Pioneering merit badge skills!"

Amen to that! I credit Boy Scout Troop 459, and the adult leaders of the troop with my love of the outdoors AND for starting me out in the skills required to make it in the great outdoors.

"If I had to pack such a thing into a car trunk I'd create a 6' leg by bolting together two 3.5' legs, with a 1' overlap and a couple of sturdy bolts. <grin> Would have that advant garde DIY look we cultivate around here. </grin>"

Heard of Jeff Foxworthy? Has that certain "redneck Je Nous Se Qua" feel to it.

Sk8rs Dad

"Try 4 LB54 adjustable elbows for each of the bending points, and 4 pieces of aluminum pipe about 8 feet long, which could be made in 4 foot segments with L14 couplings."

Thanks. I might just experiment with something like that.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Oz-sie, I posted those pictures on white blaze. I never got around to cutting the pipes in half. Instead they got used in another stand project

The thing I didn't like about the scissor pole set up was you still needed two tie points, one high and one at a variation of distances. Also my tarp would not stay taunt with that set up. When I laid in my hammock the uprights came closer to the hammock body. I remedy this from a suggestion on JJ's site to use a milk jug full of water. I say try it. It was low cost and the theory worked out well.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Jazilla

"Oz-sie, I posted those pictures on white blaze."

Thanks for letting me know who to credit! That was buggin' me that I didn't have a name to give to people. I've got my pictures properly labeled now.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    No prob, I just got a new commercial stand. So no more wood for me and its calapsable and it was $58 at Acadamy
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast